DJI Phantom 4 pro v2.0 crashed with a 90 degree tilt

Reaction score
My DJI P4P 2.0 just crashed with a 90 degree tilt, from a height of 120m and to 66m and turned off then, and fell to a building top. According to logs there were some unusual readings in yaw, pitch roll, that time when it was falling.However all things were ok, with firmware updated, calibrations done. Can anyone help in finding out the issue that caused this unusual incident?

It's the ESC , ESC stands for Electronic Speed Controller. As the name suggests, they are there to control the speed of the motors. The ESC receives throttle signal from the flight controller, and drives the brushless motor at optimal speed by providing the appropriate level of electrical power.

I had an esc fail on a p3a at 300 ft. It rolled over all the way to the ground. Causing 300 in damage. Dji will not accept the fact the esc failed. But you can't barrel roll p3a. On camera only tw blades were spinning the 2 weren't. Open air flying and esc failed, not cool. Dji will not fix for free since their response is since you crashed, you damaged the esc. Can't win!

It's the ESC , ESC stands for Electronic Speed Controller. As the name suggests, they are there to control the speed of the motors. The ESC receives throttle signal from the flight controller, and drives the brushless motor at optimal speed by providing the appropriate level of electrical power.

I had an esc fail on a p3a at 300 ft. It rolled over all the way to the ground. Causing 300 in damage. Dji will not accept the fact the esc failed. But you can't barrel roll p3a. On camera only tw blades were spinning the 2 weren't. Open air flying and esc failed, not cool. Dji will not fix for free since their response is since you crashed, you damaged the esc. Can't win!

It was an automated flight and no signal was given, while the drone went up. And drone did turn off at 66m, and then fell on building top.

Last edited:
My DJI P4P 2.0 just crashed with a 90 degree tilt, from a height of 120m and to 66m and turned off then, and fell to a building top. According to logs there were some unusual readings in yaw, pitch roll, that time when it was falling.However all things were ok, with firmware updated, calibrations done. Can anyone help in finding out the issue that caused this unusual incident?

Possibly, but you will need to post the flight logs. Any or all of the following would be good.

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

TXT log: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Hey sar104 I think I've successfully installed DJI assistant 2 on my PC .. what is the next step?
Is there a step by step page you can provide or pdf to follow? not real adept at computer stuff..Thanks

Not meaning to hijack this thread...

So sorry to hear about this incident. The previous replies are a great start for investigating the problem. However, for future deployments you should consider use the SafeAir Phantom Parachute system. I'll link a video we filmed review this great device. It works great and is easily repackable by the user. We currently have these in stock. I hope the best getting your bird back in the air.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT0vBGg6Htw

Reactions: skymonkey
Hey sar104 I think I've successfully installed DJI assistant 2 on my PC .. what is the next step?
Is there a step by step page you can provide or pdf to follow? not real adept at computer stuff..Thanks

Not meaning to hijack this thread...

The next step depends on what you are trying to do.

The next step depends on what you are trying to do.

Trying to retrieve record of flight time etc & location of where this AC came from, (google earth)? I purchased & installed cam.. everything is good, just curious of it's past.

Trying to retrieve record of flight time etc & location of where this AC came from, (google earth)? I purchased & installed cam.. everything is good, just curious of it's past.

The first link in post #4 explains how to retrieve the DAT log files from the aircraft. Those may give you some information on the aircraft's history.

I can't get past the log in screen.. I hear chimes when plugging in cable from AC.. The Blue Dot that shows cable image.jpgsorry for not knowing more about this

Attachments

• P4 Professional V2.0_0801_upgrade_0.dat
    410.1 KB · Views: 320
  • P4 Professional V2.0_1301_upgrade_0.dat
    86.8 KB · Views: 290
The system is designed to turn off if the aircraft is tilted 90°. Did you get hung up on something that caused the aircraft to tilt like that?

The system is designed to turn off if the aircraft is tilted 90°. Did you get hung up on something that caused the aircraft to tilt like that?
No it didnot turned off till it had fallen to 66m from 120m. I dont think it hung up on something or any distraction was there nor did I saw something, when I saw it was tilted at that time, and was high about 50 to 60m almost.

No it didnot turned off till it had fallen to 66m from 120m. I dont think it hung up on something or any distraction was there nor did I saw something, when I saw it was tilted at that time, and was high about 50 to 60m almost.
I see. Sorry I misunderstood you!

Reactions: N017RW
Why did DJI change the program so it stops motors when tilted 90°. I saw on you tube a guy throw a phantom upside down and it corrected itself.That easis ais selling point to me.Now motors stop!! Did you see nvr mind your own YouTube tube video with Peter.His drone hit powerlines and motors stopped.That thing fell like a brick in parking lot.DJI is gonna get someone killed when one falls stupidest firmware fck up to date.Why Why why when it used to correct itself.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Why did DJI change the program so it stops motors when tilted 90°. I saw on you tube a guy throw a phantom upside down and it corrected itself.That easis ais selling point to me.Now motors stop!! Did you see nvr mind your own YouTube tube video with Peter.His drone hit powerlines and motors stopped.That thing fell like a brick in parking lot.DJI is gonna get someone killed when one falls stupidest firmware fck up to date.Why Why why when it used to correct itself.
I wasn't aware the Phantom lineup did that until I saw his video. I've never tested it. I thought it was only the Mavic series. The only reason I can think of for having it shutdown is to prevent motor and prop damage on the ground. I agree with you and NevermindYourOwn that it shouldn't turn off in the air. Lol, give me a chance to recover!

There's a slight chance if the battery is not lodged properly, but still powers the device on and flies...if turned into SPORT mode with fast thrusts/stops, there's a slight chance the battery could temporarily dislodge and drop from the sky....ALTHOUGH, this was a problem that was supposed to have been worked out and addressed with an additional plastic clip on the 2.0 to ensure the problem doesn't happen, so yea, I'm lost!

RoOSTA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT