DJI Phantom 4 Pro Shaking Footage

Reaction score
Phantom Pilot Forums:

Well, I am going to be on my third DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2. Two of these drones had the same problem with the footage shaking left and right. It would appear this could be imbalanced propellers/motors or a gimbal vibration issue. I have tried both sets of propellers as well. The drone is running the latest software along with the controller and app.

At our university, we have multiple DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2's to compare mine to. The drones at the university don't have this issue. I have attached a YouTube video and this is with an ND8 filter at 24 fps (shutter speed 1/50). Please mainly watch the first six seconds. This is on a day with no wind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've refreshed the latest firmware too. Also, at 30 seconds in the video you will see its also noticeable when descending.

Um I not fan of low noise props,they are unsteady ,have you weighed them,,they all same weight,could be a balance issue,,try calibrate gimble with the lens on so it knows bit extra weight there or might not operate properly,,,not a real fan of the p4pv2 ,,seemed to be bit of a troubled drone since its release,,lot of posts lately regarding this drone,,me old p4s are going strong and I sort of have a giggle at those buying these and stuck with a headache, new seem to be temperamental while old ones just go and go without issues,,heck I even try imu calibration incase something not right and the drone can find it

Um I not fan of low noise props,they are unsteady ,have you weighed them,,they all same weight,could be a balance issue,,try calibrate gimble with the lens on so it knows bit extra weight there or might not operate properly,,,not a real fan of the p4pv2 ,,seemed to be bit of a troubled drone since its release,,lot of posts lately regarding this drone,,me old p4s are going strong and I sort of have a giggle at those buying these and stuck with a headache, new seem to be temperamental while old ones just go and go without issues,,heck I even try imu calibration incase something not right and the drone can find it

I already calibrated IMU and Compass on both drones. It didn't seem to make any difference. I've been told that DJI drones are not fully balanced, but its not supposed to be this bad.

I already calibrated IMU and Compass on both drones. It didn't seem to make any difference. I've been told that DJI drones are not fully balanced, but its not supposed to be this bad.
Did you calibrate gimble

Did you calibrate gimble
Yes, have done gimble calibration too. My previous drone had a problem where the gimbal got stuck looking like 30 degrees to the right. Also, this current Phantom 4 Pro v2 has an issue where it gives a battery warning problem every time I go to fly. So I have to push the battery in more to make the message go away.

That being said, the Compass, IMU and gimbal do not need to be calibrated according to the instructions.

Yes, have done gimble calibration too. My previous drone had a problem where the gimbal got stuck looking like 30 degrees to the right. Also, this current Phantom 4 Pro v2 has an issue where it gives a battery warning problem every time I go to fly. So I have to push the battery in more to make the message go away.

That being said, the Compass, IMU and gimbal do not need to be calibrated according to the instructions.
Sounds like battery clip sensor on drone,,that one not nice,mid air error could be fatal,,,I had mid air error with another p4 I had,,it shut off power at 72ft and outcome was one wreck drone and hole in house roof,I would investigate that more to sort that,,unsure now what to say about cam shake,,if you done the basics it seem there more to it and harder to troubleshoot,no yaw motors getting warm,got good friction when powered on and try move cam lightly by hand,,mayby a motor cause this in flight or hover,gimble and yaw motor not very strong and could cause what you experience with cam shake,,I see if I can find something on it

Wow lots of posts on this under goggle search,,does it shake when on the table

This is gimble vibration shock absorber,,if it shakes when still on table this could be at fault,,if this drone new,give it back for another,,
Screenshot_20210223-115944_Google.jpg

Reactions: MTO
Wow lots of posts on this under goggle search,,does it shake when on the table
I've researched a lot on this topic. It doesn't shake when on the table. I'm just thinking maybe this might be a bad batch of DJI Phantoms.

Production date?
I'm not exactly certain of the production date but I purchased in early February. Even with auto settings on the university DJI phantom 4 pro V2, I was not able to replicate the shaking footage as seen on my own Phantom. Also, because the correct shutter speed and framerate didn't reduce the issue, I do not believe this is the jello effect.

Phantom Pilot Forums:

Well, I am going to be on my third DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2. Two of these drones had the same problem with the footage shaking left and right. It would appear this could be imbalanced propellers/motors or a gimbal vibration issue. I have tried both sets of propellers as well. The drone is running the latest software along with the controller and app.

At our university, we have multiple DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2's to compare mine to. The drones at the university don't have this issue. I have attached a YouTube video and this is with an ND8 filter at 24 fps (shutter speed 1/50). Please mainly watch the first six seconds. This is on a day with no wind.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've refreshed the latest firmware too. Also, at 30 seconds in the video you will see its also noticeable when descending.
If both ACs shake with different controllers and both were manufactured about the same time, I would say it's a production batch issue.

Phantom Pilot Forums:

I am gonna just put this out there. There is a small foam rubber gimbal support that attaches just under the bottom side of the hull and wraps around the gimbal arm. It is easy to miss. My first phantom 4 Pro V2 was purchased used, so it did not have this gimbal support attached. On my new one, just purchased last Tuesday, had one and I never noticed, I had the same shaky footage. It was not until I had the drone on my desk and was doing an update that I got a gimbal overheating warning and noticed the support on the gimbal. Took it off and things were fine after that.

I am gonna just put this out there. There is a small foam rubber gimbal support that attaches just under the bottom side of the hull and wraps around the gimbal arm. It is easy to miss. My first phantom 4 Pro V2 was purchased used, so it did not have this gimbal support attached. On my new one, just purchased last Tuesday, had one and I never noticed, I had the same shaky footage. It was not until I had the drone on my desk and was doing an update that I got a gimbal overheating warning and noticed the support on the gimbal. Took it off and things were fine after that.
hmm, you might have solved my problem. I never saw the gimbal support foam but I will look for it. I may have figured it was part of the gimbal attachment. My drone was purchased brand new from DJI. And you aren't referring to the gimbal lock? The plastic piece that attaches to the gimbal and the landing feet.

Would someone from these forums post a picture of this rubber foam gimbal support?

Oh I think I got it, instead of removing that rubber gimbal support I just removed the sticker. I'm almost certain this is the problem. Once I get it on Monday I will post an update.

Update: The sticker that says "remove before flight" is where this small rubber foam is located.

Last edited:
Reactions: baddogtwo
Have you calibrated the sensors via DJI assistant using computer display?

hmm, you might have solved my problem. I never saw the gimbal support foam but I will look for it. I may have figured it was part of the gimbal attachment. My drone was purchased brand new from DJI. And you aren't referring to the gimbal lock? The plastic piece that attaches to the gimbal and the landing feet.

Would someone from these forums post a picture of this rubber foam gimbal support?

Oh I think I got it, instead of removing that rubber gimbal support I just removed the sticker. I'm almost certain this is the problem. Once I get it on Monday I will post an update.

Update: The sticker that says "remove before flight" is where this small rubber foam is located.

gimbal-support.jpg.jpeg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic