Dji P3S losing signal at around 400m.

Reaction score
Hey. My DJI Phantom 3 standard loses signal at around 400m. I have tried adjusting the antenna and even bought a range extender. Beginner mode is off and everything else works perfectly with the drone. Am flying in an area far away from radio interference and was wondering if anyone could help?
Thanks

Reactions: eeire54
The only problems I've had flying in remote areas is when flying in direct Sunlight. Maybe that was the problem?

About par for the course for a standard out of box.

Where are you ? You may be on CE power which is significantly less than FCC USA power levels.

If you look at DJI specs ... they quote range FCC and CE .... note the difference.

Nigel

Where are you ? You may be on CE power which is significantly less than FCC USA power levels.

If you look at DJI specs ... they quote range FCC and CE .... note the difference.

Nigel
I stay in South Africa, Cape Town

Nigel
Thanks. It doesn’t say to me CE limit reached: returning to home or something like that. It says that the controller has lost signal to the drone

Reactions: bikerg2001
Hi I am also from CT ..have the same issue ..but mine does the RTH thing ...have used magic power mod ...will do a test flight today to see is it helps

So if I lose 2.4GHz connection ( Video and GO app commands ) with P3S but still have 5.8 GHz connection 1) when does the P3S do RTH ... 2) how will I know if I still have 5.8 GHz connection as the Go app will not receive any info. 3) does the 2.4/5.8 reconnect automatically .

That seems maybe a bit odd even for a P3S based on the area you described. Any obstacles (trees, terrain, man made objects, etc) along the flight path that might be causing signal loss?

Thanks. It doesn’t say to me CE limit reached: returning to home or something like that. It says that the controller has lost signal to the drone

CE is the Power setting of RF transmission .... nothing to do with error warnings / dialogue on screen.

CE restricts the RF power emitted by controller and therefore effective range is reduced. FCC power level is significantly higher and allows greater range.

Many people use Magic Power or Icarus to increase RC Controller 2.4Ghz power output ... it also increases AC 2.4Ghz output .. to achieve more video range.

Note : Take note of what signal it is reporting ... because with P3S - there are two ... Command and Video .. they are separate issues.

Nigel

Last edited:
Reactions: Amergin
So if I lose 2.4GHz connection ( Video and GO app commands ) with P3S but still have 5.8 GHz connection 1) when does the P3S do RTH ... 2) how will I know if I still have 5.8 GHz connection as the Go app will not receive any info. 3) does the 2.4/5.8 reconnect automatically .

With a P3S - you have two transmission signals ...
5.8Ghz which is the flight control / command stream and is one way ... Controller to AC - the centre stick antenna.
2.4Ghz which is the video / telemetry info stream and is two way .... Controller to / from AC and is the two flat panel antenna inside the case.

OK ... RTH and any failsafe action only kicks in automatically when 5.8Ghz command control signal is not received by AC. It waits a few seconds and if nothing received - it triggers failsafe.

If you lose 2.4Ghz connection - RTH does not kick in ... you just lose video and telemetry data flow till it picks up again. The best action then is to flick S2 on top of controller to manually trigger RTH. When you regain video etc. - you can flick S1 to stop RTH and fly again.

Nigel

So if I lose 2.4GHz connection ( Video and GO app commands ) wit
That seems maybe a bit odd even for a P3S based on the area you described. Any obstacles (trees, terrain, man made objects, etc) along the flight path that might be causing signal loss?
No. literally flat bushes. Was wondering if this could maybe be a problem with the drone and thinking about taking it back to the shop?

I have tried to explain the two signals ... I also had only 300m or so as a stock out of box P3S ... with maybe 600m in real open country ...
The biggest problem was loss of video feed at around the 300 - 500m mark and was never consistent.

That is normal for the P3S ...

Nigel

I have tried to explain the two signals ... I also had only 300m or so as a stock out of box P3S ... with maybe 600m in real open country ...
The biggest problem was loss of video feed at around the 300 - 500m mark and was never consistent.

That is normal for the P3S ...

Nigel
Thanks Nigel for you’re help. Just downloaded the magic power mod and will post results as soon as I can test. Now understand the difference between CE andFCC mode

Weird. I have zero problems with video at 700 feet. It's my control I keep losing!

700 feet is about 213m ...

As I said : "I also had only 300m or so as a stock out of box P3S ... with maybe 600m in real open country ...
The biggest problem was loss of video feed at around the 300 - 500m mark and was never consistent."

Nigel

Thanks Nigel for you’re help. Just downloaded the magic power mod and will post results as soon as I can test. Now understand the difference between CE andFCC mode

Personally I preferred Icarus .... because I used Android and Icarus worked from the Android device without need for any PC involvement. It cost a few $ but I found it excellent.
It was there on the tablet even at the field.

Nigel

Thanks for in Info ... going to fly in some "windy" conditions on some farmlands will test to see if I can go more than 300 m now without losing 5.8GHz signal

700 feet is about 213m ...

As I said : "I also had only 300m or so as a stock out of box P3S ... with maybe 600m in real open country ...
The biggest problem was loss of video feed at around the 300 - 500m mark and was never consistent."

Nigel
DJI has offered to look at flight records so I sent them in. No reply yet. Seems like I should get more than 700 feet in wide open field. Maybe it's interference from nearby office park? Airdata UAV Signal Score never falls below 100 though Signal Errors are always double-digit from 24 - 40.

No disrespect to those who create analytical utilities ... but as a Laboratory Owner - I know just how different theoretical and actual can be ...
When we get to the P3 and its RF ... well - its just unpredictable.

I have seen even my P3P drop to short range in a location that my P3S was good and vice versa.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20