DJI P2V+ Range Issue

Reaction score
So I have picked some of your brains about an issue I have had in regards to range. I am curious what your secrets are and if you have similar issues.

With FCC mode - stock extender, RC and bird I have only ever been able to get 800' to 1000' going away and I sometimes lose video connection as soon as I turn it around to fly home. 400' elevation.

With FCC mode - extender and RC modded for the Itelite Antenna (bird stock) I can now get 1600' to 1802' going away before losing video. Same thing happens when I turn bird around to fly home it drops video until I get back to about 700'-900'. 500' elevation.

I can maintain LOS during all flights so it surprises me when you see everyone stating their 3000', 5000', 8000' flights with very few low budget mods. Currently no matter what resolution I am in everything happens at the same distances. From as far as I can tell I still have RC of bird farther than video as I have watched my video off the sd card and the things I did to see if they showed up.

What am I missing?
What altitude are you at getting those distances?
Do I need to replace RE700?
Do I need to mod bird with all the antennas?
Amps?

Let me know your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432788960.379388.jpg

Thanks, I thought about it but I have had the same issue in stock and modded config so it was a toss up LOL

I'm not sure what that other guy is referencing inspire thread for. What I do find comforting is real people giving real numbers. I'm new I gotta 2+ and in a city big park I'm getting like 700 feet in height straight up or around 1500 feet in distance at around 150 feet high. My bird appears average and as my confidence grows so does my disappointment at how limited I am even though I'm scared to go farther anyways. Yes sometimes I can fart around with the switches and regain control and go farther but not that much and once video drops out I wanna come back because if I can't experience it then what's the point

150 feet isn't high enough to go far, the signal is attenuated by the ground especially if there are trees - even if you still have an uninterrupted line to it.
1500 feet is still pretty good for the V+ though in ideal conditions you might easily double it with stock set up.

The ideal situation for big distances is over water as that reflects signal rather than absorbs it.
Not good if things go wrong though!

I'm not sure what that other guy is referencing inspire thread for. What I do find comforting is real people giving real numbers. I'm new I gotta 2+ and in a city big park I'm getting like 700 feet in height straight up or around 1500 feet in distance at around 150 feet high. My bird appears average and as my confidence grows so does my disappointment at how limited I am even though I'm scared to go farther anyways. Yes sometimes I can fart around with the switches and regain control and go farther but not that much and once video drops out I wanna come back because if I can't experience it then what's the point
Name not other guy o_O
If ya had looked in the link it would have took ya to the P2V+ section where they are posting about what they are getting with the Plus !!
Is not the Inspire .Had one of these on a RE700 on my P2V and only could get 3000' before I lost FPV and just went back to the FPVLR stage 3.
Works good on the + but not so hot on my Vision .
Maybe if you would have clicked on the link and just not read it you would have seen all this there . o_O
Clint headshake.gif

Reactions: IflyinWY
150 feet isn't high enough to go far, the signal is attenuated by the ground especially if there are trees - even if you still have an uninterrupted line to it.
1500 feet is still pretty good for the V+ though in ideal conditions you might easily double it with stock set up.

The ideal situation for big distances is over water as that reflects signal rather than absorbs it.
Not good if things go wrong though!
What I did find with this antenna 4wd was I could go twice as far at 200' with it than with the ones I have on now .
I would have to be at least 400' to get the distance .
I don't fly over water but farm land and have got 8500' there before I turned around and came back .
Happy hit 10000' with the same set up beside the big lake where he fly's and that must be why he got better than me .

So from what I can assume is I should have done a Stage 3 rather than this Itelite thing? I will buy the antennas for the bird and see what that does. If nothing, then I am going to go a different route. Anyone getting rid of a stage 3 kit? LoL

So from what I can assume is I should have done a Stage 3 rather than this Itelite thing? I will buy the antennas for the bird and see what that does. If nothing, then I am going to go a different route. Anyone getting rid of a stage 3 kit? LoL
No I did not mean that cause in that Link you see where folks are going great distances with the ITELITE . The way mine is though it just didn't do as good .
The Itelite is a great antenna for the Plus .Not to mention it is way more cheaper !!

My gut instinct is the Itelite is a compact system that should go about 80% of a Stage 2 (not three) kit. The stage 3 should be a big jump as there is a lot more hardware involved.

I would not be happy with 1800'. Has you contacted DBS about it? I really like the ITELITE package but would want to get 7-8000 feet out of it under ideal conditions.

Reactions: dirkclod
I sent them a email weeks ago and never got a response so I figured I would start a discussion here. Maybe someone in this community has a direct contact with them and could point them my direction :). From my understanding Itelite's views are that if it doubles your current range then that is more than you should expect. Unfortunately I was hoping it would give me 3,000-4,000'. I will get some antennas for the bird coming tomorrow.

Found some interesting material on dji forum. Has anyone else heard this? A few others have the same setup as me and are experiencing the same result.

" The propagation patterns on both the transmitter and receiver should match. The itelite panel uses a linear polarized antennas and the cloverleaf uses a right hand circular polarization and should be used with another right hand circular polarized antenna for best performance."

"The stock 2.4ghz antennas on the Phamtom 2 vision Plus are left hand polarized so you should be using a left hand polarized pinwheel unless you have changed the bird side antennas to right hand polarized. All of fpvlr antennas the the Phamton 2 Vision Plus are left hand polarized."

"To really get the most out of your antennas you need to understand more than just the polarization. There is also the pattern in which they propagate as well as how they receive the signal.

Polarization: The rubber duck and the itelite radiate vertically polarized (linear) when its electric field is perpendicular to the Earth's surface. So, as long as the antennas are straight up and down they will "see" each other just fine.

Propagation: For simplification lets consider the rubber duckie pattern like a donut radiating equally in all directions. The itelite is more like a wide beam radiating in whatever direction you are pointing it (meaning you have to keep it pointed at the other antenna to get the best result)

One of the limitations of this arrangement is that something as simple as the Phantom turning on its axis can result in a signal loss. Or how it deals with multipath interference or any other can of worms that you will discover."

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic