Range issue

Reaction score
I just got a phantom 3 standard off a buddy of mine the range is terrible from what I’ve been seeing to other phantom 3. Most I can get is 460 feet. The remote does have the range extender. I’m trying to figure out what can I do to get more range any help is appreciated thanks

Reactions: Billie Nelson
Does the signal level come and go?

Rod

I’ve also been seeing this magic power range mod? Does that actually work?
Skip that stuff.

#1 Who you got it from, was he having the same problems?
#2 Does the signal bounce good then bad maybe every couple of seconds?

Then I will go from your answers, I fought P3S Signals a lot !!

Most liking I will figure out the problem.

But I need the facts. :)👌

Rod..

Yip as above more info please
Also what sort of range extender is fitted to remote for reference.
Yip same , had poor signal on mine till upgraded remote to Argtec triple antennas,(cheap upgrade)but got it sorted
Some ps3 are flawless and some are just rubbish, mine was in the rubbish category.

Sometimes a fresh re-link can help establish good conection again.
Same results in different areas ?
even add pictures if easier,
Yeh and is it signal or transmission loss,,does it RTH or freezing on screen or what ?

Reactions: RodPad
Yip same , had poor signal on mine till upgraded remote to Argtec triple antennas,(cheap upgrade)but got it sorted
Some ps3 are flawless and some are just rubbish, mine was in the rubbish category.

Yeh and is it signal or transmission loss,,does it RTH or freezing on screen or what ?
Yes same results in different areas I don’t lose video just lost signal then automatically returns home and I believe it’s the gm5 or g5m extender I’ll double check when I get home haven’t tried a re link yet and I’ll have to double check the firmware on it too maybe it’s older version not sure if that would have anything to do with it

Yes same results in different areas I don’t lose video just lost signal then automatically returns home and I believe it’s the gm5 or g5m extender I’ll double check when I get home haven’t tried a re link yet and I’ll have to double check the firmware on it too maybe it’s older version not sure if that would have anything to do with it
Don't change the FIRMWARE before you figure out the problem!

Rod..

Reactions: Capt KO
Take a picture of this gm5 extender.
If your buddy was already using it then he was already trying to figure out a signal problem.

Rod..

One other think with the remote and bird powered on I would keep them at least 4' to 6' apart.
There is a reason for my signature.

Rod ..

My personal P3S was in the "good" category. With a simple reflector range extender could get a km. Not great but usable, lot of fun. Bought/sold a few P3S and seems some remotes just worked better than others.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
I don't see the remote, what does it look like when its actually being used?

Did this come from your buddy when you got P3S?

What does this stuff cost?

Rod ..

I don't see the remote, what does it look like when its actually being used?

Did this come from your buddy when you got P3S?

What does this stuff cost?

Rod ..
Yes it did and the 2 7dba square panel go on either side and the long one goes in the middle and looked on Amazon the same setup for the extender is about 65 bucks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
He must have had signal problems already?

There is no external power to make them amplify?

Can you ask your buddy if ever worked like. Capt KO
Stated.

Rod ..

Yes it did and the 2 7dba square panel go on either side and the long one goes in the middle and looked on Amazon the same setup for the extender is about 65 bucks
Ha yip I try those back in 2019,slightly different on the model number but same thing .,20230526_143410.jpgScreenshot_20230526-143242_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230526-143310_Samsung Internet.jpg
Yip they were cheap and get what you pay for,Those panels never change my issue and I ended up trying another cheap Argtec triple antennas which improved and work like stock should work,,out to 1km without no issues(far enough 4 me) ,,these panels non boosted unlike upmarket ones like Sunhams which have own power supply to actually amplify and boost or they hopeless
500ft pretty sad for a phantom,easy to open remote and check they plugged in correct plug,
Yeh sounds like your mate was trying to improve it aswell,,lots of Brands about ,maybe have look around at something in your budget and get something apart from the panels to try,,I'm sure you see improvement, panel might be ok for close activity but no good for any distance (that's my opinion)
Just add Itelite good trusted brand,,can get p3s kits,Had one on the p4 ,already did the Argtec on p3s or that would have got one too,,
Have look at Argtec sets and try find something like my triples , then you dont have to open remote,just screw them onto existing terminals on remote,,if you change kit you need to open remote and change antenna wires and mounting,it look like my remote with extra holes from previous attempts

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl