DJI Goggles vs Epson Moverio BT-300?

I bought them from B&H with the understanding that if I did not like them, I coud return them. The rest is history. I really like being to avoid shinny screens and the process of having to look down at the iPad/iPhone screen and then back up to see (and find) the drone.

And THAT is the reason I will not do that (buy with the intention of returning). I'm too afraid that I will love them and then somehow have to pay for them [emoji3].

I understand !!! I do think the price tag should come down and if you rent now and buy later, it would be less costly.

Could just get them from amazon or B&H and return them if they didn’t work out.

Got mine from Amazon. Returned them 10 days later for full refund - no questions asked. Just make sure to repack them in original packaging.

How do these work with the Pro Plus controller , ? Can you use both of them, ?
They cannot be used with the P4P+ remote controller since you can only use the mobile device built into that remote controller.

They cannot be used with the P4P+ remote controller since you can only use the mobile device built into that remote controller.

Thank you: First time that was ever mentioned, I really appreciate it.
300x100rev2.gif

Actually, with the dark shades, you get a great image, even in bright light. Then, it is easy to look above or below the thin Moverio glasses to see the drone directly in VLOS mode. Only a very slight eye movement switches back and forth from the DJI GO 4 App and a direct visual of the drone. You can nearly watch both at the same time. When I use a screen device (even the P4P+ brighter screen), I find it hard to see with bright day glare and more importantly, when moving from looking down to the device and then looking back up to the drone, I often find it takes time to reacquire the drone to re-establish VLOS. This issue is removed, for me, with the Moverio BT-300's. I am a photographer and find that the bright, clear image display on the dark shaded glass does an excellent job for FPV flying and framing video and still images.

Until recently, the DJI GO 4 software did not switch well between Intelligent Flight Models. Now it does. But, I am very comfortable flying either with the Intelligent modes or manually. I agree that if, for some reason, you feel you need other software, you don't want the Moverio BT-300. If I am doing a mapping app, when the drone generally flies by itself, I use an iPhone or iPad. Those occasions are rare.

Slightly confused here. You use these glasses with the P4P+ screen? How do they connect?

Slightly confused here. You use these glasses with the P4P+ screen? How do they connect?
You cannot use them with the P4P+ remote controller. @Russ43Phantom is saying he prefers the Moverio BT-300 glasses over the P4P+ screen since it does not require constantly looking up and down between the screen and the Phantom flying in the air.

1) How sturdy are these on your head? I fly from a boat a lot and I would worry that they could fall off and smash.
1a) I had to return the DJI Goggles because while I don’t have a reader Rx just yet, the Goggles weren’t clear enough for me in my now “advancing years” are these better or more adjustable than the Goggles?
2) Are these a better option than Crystal Sky?

How sturdy are these on your head?
They don't look sturdy, but I don't have any problems keeping them on my face. They come with rubber grips that can be inserted in the arms. When using those, the rubber helps the arms cling to your head.

Are these a better option than Crystal Sky?
That's like comparing apples to oranges. The CrystalSky might be better if you're comparing it to a tablet with a dimmer screen.

I owned the Epson BT-300 for several months. I successfully used it, and its latest firmware and software upgrades, with my own Mavic and my Phantom 4. Before that, I tried the Fat Shark and other video displays that were like the Fat Shark, and they are like putting “blinders” on my face.

If the FAA does not specifically tell you that those “blinder” methods interrupt or disable your line of sight, common sense, and I, will tell you that they do. Please follow along with me.

With the Epson BT-300, you have better than the best of the best. With the BT-300, you can do what those others wish to do; plus, by either looking through the translucent eyewear and/or by “peeking” above, below or around the imbedded screenshot in the BT-300, for a live LOS of your bird – not just a picture of it – you can really see it and swear in a court that you were watching it. The great news is that doing it with the BT-300, you can have a real (and legal) line-of-sight view of your bird. As important as that may seem, a real line-of-sight view from your eyes to your bird, in 3-D, is fantastic in many ways.

I used the Moverio BT-300 with the DJI Mavic and with the DJI Phantom 4 for several months. I will tell you why I don’t use it at the end of this article.

You cannot be successful at this hobby with this high-tech equipment by being gung-ho and trying to do everything without doing a lot of reading, listening to your mentors and without searching for the right answer from intelligent sources such as found on this forum. Doing your homework is a must. – There is no “quick start guide” to do it the right way. You didn’t learn to ride your bicycle in 15 minutes; more problematic than that, this ain’t your grandfather’s bicycle. Learn, practice carefully, learn, practice even more carefully, then read and learn some more.

Read everything that Russ43Phantom has written. Read what TMBAerial has written.

Steven Flynn, with Skytango has a great video here. Everything he said is right on. Please visit:

Be careful! This is new and is dangerous technology. The FAA has their hands full. They don’t have the facilities nor the man-power to police us. The Feds, state and local police do not have adequate, legal jurisdiction or the equipment or evidence gathering capabilities to police us either. They do not have a concrete knowledge of “drone rules” or what the next version of what future drones may be able to do.

Be careful! Everybody from the FAA to local police agencies and home owner associations are watching us. Don’t make a mistake; you could ruin it for us. This thing can be tremendously dangerous when it gets out of your sight and out of control – no more said about that. As my Dad, a WW II, Navy Lt., said, “Loose Lips Sink Ships.”

If you have a problem or question, ask. If somebody says that it can’t be done, somebody else may have the solution.

The cost of this hobby is expensive. That keeps the reckless, thrill seekers out of the picture (pardon the pun.) However, cheaper drones are now on the market. That worries me and should worry all of us.

Firmware and software upgrades: Epson seems to be doing everything that they can. Remember that there are several company relationships at play, i.e., DJI must work (in a way) with Epson, who may have to work (in a way) with Google, and Google’s approval prosses for 3rd parties. Alas, they all have to make a profit to get ‘er done.

I don’t use my BT-300 any longer because it was stolen. I loved it so much I was about to replace it; then, along came the BT-350. Does anybody have any thoughts about the BT-350?

George Gilmer, is a retired sergeant after serving 23 years with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department, just north of Houston, Texas, having worked in patrol, narcotics, as a major crime scene investigator (including forensic photography), and as a training instructor teaching career officers and police cadets the techniques of crime scene investigation, emergency driving techniques, firearm’s shooting techniques while conducting qualification drills and instructing narcotics and dangerous drug investigation techniques and traffic interdiction techniques. Please visit his website at www.TacView.com or contact him at [email protected]

First look of BT-350. The only differences between this and the BT300 this has 32 GB built in memory and the glasses has adjustment flexibility and the price is $1395 , so BT 300 is still a better buy , will this work with the Pro Plus do you know ?

second.gif

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I've not seen anybody address this in the thread. I would be wearing these over my glasses as they say you can. My glasses are Transistions and get quite dark when out in the sun. I'm sure the BT300 would block some of the triggering UV but I would think they would stay dark enough to allow a stronger image in the BT300. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:
I've not seen anybody address this in the thread. I would be wearing these over my glasses as they say you can. My glasses are Transistions and get quite dark when out in the sun. I'm sure the BT300 would block some of the triggering UV but I would thing they would stay dark enough to allow a stronger image in the BT300. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have older progressive transition glasses. They stopped darkening after 2 years. I have just ordered new ones and will report on how they work in about 2 weeks. I also ordered a very inexpensive pair of lenses which will be mountend on the BT-300 insert. They don’t need to be progressive or transitions. I will also let you know how they work. My guess is the cheaper lens inserts for the clip-on frames from Epson will work best.

I have older progressive transition glasses. They stopped darkening after 2 years. I have just ordered new ones and will report on how they work in about 2 weeks. I also ordered a very inexpensive pair of lenses which will be mountend on the BT-300 insert. They don’t need to be progressive or transitions. I will also let you know how they work. My guess is the cheaper lens inserts for the clip-on frames from Epson will work best.
I look forward to hearing your results. I'm surprised your transitions quit getting dark. I've pulled out old "emergency" glasses that had sat in a case for several years and they darkened right up. I currently use the Glyph goggles, that I love, and have gotten used to looking above and below them to do LOS and the controller. I fly in the Blue Ridge Mountains and so I "slack" a little on the spotter rule as they only thing I'm going to land on is a opossum.
If you have good results I would get a cheap pair of single vision lenses to wear underneath the Epsons.

I look forward to hearing your results. I'm surprised your transitions quit getting dark. I've pulled out old "emergency" glasses that had sat in a case for several years and they darkened right up. I currently use the Glyph goggles, that I love, and have gotten used to looking above and below them to do LOS and the controller. I fly in the Blue Ridge Mountains and so I "slack" a little on the spotter rule as they only thing I'm going to land on is a opossum.
If you have good results I would get a cheap pair of single vision lenses to wear underneath the Epsons.

My transitions were over 5 years old. I was told that newer ones don't loose their ability to darken. Meanwhile, I paid very little for getting a prescription lens to place in the frames that clip into the BT-300 glasses. They work great and are more comfortable than wearing my progressive/transition glasses under the BT-300. As I have progressive glasses, I had the "far" prescription created for the inserts to read the augmented reality display that looks to be about 6-10' away.

Reactions: infinite
I owned the Epson BT-300 for several months. I successfully used it, and its latest firmware and software upgrades, with my own Mavic and my Phantom 4. Before that, I tried the Fat Shark and other video displays that were like the Fat Shark, and they are like putting “blinders” on my face.

If the FAA does not specifically tell you that those “blinder” methods interrupt or disable your line of sight, common sense, and I, will tell you that they do. Please follow along with me.

With the Epson BT-300, you have better than the best of the best. With the BT-300, you can do what those others wish to do; plus, by either looking through the translucent eyewear and/or by “peeking” above, below or around the imbedded screenshot in the BT-300, for a live LOS of your bird – not just a picture of it – you can really see it and swear in a court that you were watching it. The great news is that doing it with the BT-300, you can have a real (and legal) line-of-sight view of your bird. As important as that may seem, a real line-of-sight view from your eyes to your bird, in 3-D, is fantastic in many ways.

I used the Moverio BT-300 with the DJI Mavic and with the DJI Phantom 4 for several months. I will tell you why I don’t use it at the end of this article.

You cannot be successful at this hobby with this high-tech equipment by being gung-ho and trying to do everything without doing a lot of reading, listening to your mentors and without searching for the right answer from intelligent sources such as found on this forum. Doing your homework is a must. – There is no “quick start guide” to do it the right way. You didn’t learn to ride your bicycle in 15 minutes; more problematic than that, this ain’t your grandfather’s bicycle. Learn, practice carefully, learn, practice even more carefully, then read and learn some more.

Read everything that Russ43Phantom has written. Read what TMBAerial has written.

Steven Flynn, with Skytango has a great video here. Everything he said is right on. Please visit:

Be careful! This is new and is dangerous technology. The FAA has their hands full. They don’t have the facilities nor the man-power to police us. The Feds, state and local police do not have adequate, legal jurisdiction or the equipment or evidence gathering capabilities to police us either. They do not have a concrete knowledge of “drone rules” or what the next version of what future drones may be able to do.

Be careful! Everybody from the FAA to local police agencies and home owner associations are watching us. Don’t make a mistake; you could ruin it for us. This thing can be tremendously dangerous when it gets out of your sight and out of control – no more said about that. As my Dad, a WW II, Navy Lt., said, “Loose Lips Sink Ships.”

If you have a problem or question, ask. If somebody says that it can’t be done, somebody else may have the solution.

The cost of this hobby is expensive. That keeps the reckless, thrill seekers out of the picture (pardon the pun.) However, cheaper drones are now on the market. That worries me and should worry all of us.

Firmware and software upgrades: Epson seems to be doing everything that they can. Remember that there are several company relationships at play, i.e., DJI must work (in a way) with Epson, who may have to work (in a way) with Google, and Google’s approval prosses for 3rd parties. Alas, they all have to make a profit to get ‘er done.

I don’t use my BT-300 any longer because it was stolen. I loved it so much I was about to replace it; then, along came the BT-350. Does anybody have any thoughts about the BT-350?

George Gilmer, is a retired sergeant after serving 23 years with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department, just north of Houston, Texas, having worked in patrol, narcotics, as a major crime scene investigator (including forensic photography), and as a training instructor teaching career officers and police cadets the techniques of crime scene investigation, emergency driving techniques, firearm’s shooting techniques while conducting qualification drills and instructing narcotics and dangerous drug investigation techniques and traffic interdiction techniques. Please visit his website at www.TacView.com or contact him at [email protected]

Sorry to hear your BT-300s were stolen, I love mine and have had great success with them in the field. I haven’t heard much on the 350 version except the they cost more and have an adjustable DP and more memory. However, the cost of a prescription insert and the BT-300 ($700 plus $200) is less then the estimated retail price of $1350 I have seen quoted for the BT-350. If the 350 can found in the $1k retail range and can actually be worn over prescription glasses (the BT-300 cannot despite reviews saying otherwise), then it may be worth the upgrade.

Whoa the "Tap to Mute" feature is on point. Msinger, do you have the Rochester polorized shades? I'm wondering if those are better then the dark shades that ship with the BT-300 now.
I fly from a strictly cinematic standpoint. Xender Discord Omegle I'm there to capture the best footage I can. I worry that I won't see enough detail in the image to dial it in so I'm curious if anyone else out there has the BT-300's and uses them with footage quality as your priority. I would love to hear about your experience. I will definitely post some video of my experience this weekend.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr