DJI Goggles + P4 - Seems Janky

Reaction score
So I just got my new DJI goggles hooked up to my P4 (after months of anticipation). I was aware of the lack of head tracking and the need for an HDMI cable, so I thought I was prepared for all of the 'quarks' of using the P4 with the goggles.

Alas, I seem to be yet again surprised by DJI. There are two things I'm hoping people can confirm or walk me through.

1. The default screen in the goggles, with the robust menu options says disconnected and does not show the live image from the drone (see attached image). I must navigate, using the touch pad, to setting -> HDMI. Is this correct? I need to go into what seems to be a secondary menu with MUCH fewer in flight options to fly with an HDMI cord. Is this correct, or am I not configured correctly?

2. Why has DJI introduced flight restrictions when using the goggles. There must be a logical explanation for this, but I can't seem to think of anything besides safety. If it is in fact safety, it seems like a setting you can disable, but from everything I've read, the only way around it is starting flight in the regular DJI Go app, then plugging the goggles in.

Are those two items just problems with the P4? Or all non Mavic drones? Any thoughts or suggestions to manage these quarks would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• File_000-3.jpeg
    File_000-3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 461
I was aware of the lack of head tracking
Head/gimbal tracking is available if you're running the latest firmware.

The default screen in the goggles, with the robust menu options says disconnected and does not show the live image from the drone (see attached image). I must navigate, using the touch pad, to setting -> HDMI. Is this correct? I need to go into what seems to be a secondary menu with MUCH fewer in flight options to fly with an HDMI cord. Is this correct, or am I not configured correctly?
You can connect the DJI Goggles to your P4 remote controller via the included USB cable (in place of your mobile device). Or install the HDMI Output Module on your P4 remote controller (like this) and connect the included HDMI cable to that module via a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter (like this one).

Why has DJI introduced flight restrictions when using the goggles.
They've done it for the same reason it was done in DJI GO (your guess is as good as mine). You'll need to connect your Phantom to DJI GO to remove those flight restrictions before connecting the DJI Goggles.

Head/gimbal tracking is available if you're running the latest firmware.
If true, this makes me happy. I'm all current on firmware, but honestly I didn't even try. I'll give it a shot this week.

You can connect the DJI Goggles to your P4 remote controller via the included USB cable (in place of your mobile device). Or install the HDMI Output Module on your P4 remote controller (like this) and connect the included HDMI cable to that module via a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter (like this one).
I have the HDMI module installed and have connected the RC to the goggles using the cord in the attached image. Should I be able to connect to the main menu screen (previously attached image) with this method??

They've done it for the same reason it was done in DJI GO (your guess is as good as mine). You'll need to connect your Phantom to DJI GO to remove those flight restrictions before connecting the DJI Goggles.
I haven't flown in beginner mode in a long time in the DJI Go app, so I'm confident this wasn't enabled (unless the goggles enable it by default). When I was flying last night, I never actually had the DJI Go app connected. When I powered everything on, I had both he USB into my iPhone and the HDMI into the Goggles, and the DJI Go app never connected as it defaulted to the HDMI output. I've heard that you have to first connect to the Go app before plugging the goggles to bypass this. Seems a little wonky.

Thank you for the response and feedback.

Attachments

• File_000-4.jpeg
    File_000-4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 390
I have the HDMI module installed and have connected the RC to the goggles using the cord in the attached image. Should I be able to connect to the main menu screen (previously attached image) with this method?
No. Those menus, head/gimbal tracking, etc. are only available when the DJI Goggles are connected to the USB port on the remote controller. When connected via HDMI, the DJI Goggles act as a viewing device only (just like when using any other goggles connected via HDMI).

I've heard that you have to first connect to the Go app before plugging the goggles to bypass this.
That's correct.

So am I correct that when I fly with my P4 (via USB to remote) I can enjoy the head/gimball tracking, but I forgo the benefits of the DJI Go 4 app (the map, video/image caching, flight logging?)

Or does when flying the P4 with the Goggles (via USB to remote) the Goggles firmware instructs the P4 to store the flight log on the aircraft's SD card? (I'm seeing empty folders on the SD card that were created by DJI other than the usual DCMI\100 Media folder where the video and image files are stored.)

All the best,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72