DJI gained a customer and lost a customer in 3 days

Look at the newly released 3Dr Solo. Cost a little bit more but has no, no fly zone restrictions. Asks buyers to fly responsibly. I to have a P3 and am in a NFZ. Looking to get a class action lawsuit started against DJI for DRM violations and false advertisement and deceptive sale practices.

Are you serious? A class action. Get your head out of your butt and do something constructive.

Hey GunSurgeon, sorry about how you are feeling. I can't blame you. Most of us here now, would know about NFZs simply because we are here, or have been in the hobby for a while. It is entirely understandable that a new pilot would have no idea bout NFZs, so why would one research them before buying a drone.
I just bought a P3 yesterday (own a P1 and a P2, and some others), as I was looking at different vendors, one had in big bold letters a page filling disclaimer that "anyone living in the Washington D.C. area will not be able to fly, etc" It explained why. I can't remember which vendor this was.

I think you are right, DJI should have a page like that alerting buyers that they need to check for NFZ's in their area prior to purchasing a Phantom, It makes sense.

I'm sorry your OP was met with such hostility by some here.

Reactions: GunSurgeon
Hey GunSurgeon, sorry about how you are feeling. I can't blame you. Most of us here now, would know about NFZs simply because we are here, or have been in the hobby for a while. It is entirely understandable that a new pilot would have no idea bout NFZs, so why would one research them before buying a drone.
I just bought a P3 yesterday (own a P1 and a P2, and some others), as I was looking at different vendors, one had in big bold letters a page filling disclaimer that "anyone living in the Washington D.C. area will not be able to fly, etc" It explained why. I can't remember which vendor this was.

I think you are right, DJI should have a page like that alerting buyers that they need to check for NFZ's in their area prior to purchasing a Phantom, It makes sense.

I'm sorry your OP was met with such hostility by some here.

Anyone that did any research prior to buying would have easily found exactly what you are saying doesnt exist. And anyone that put meaningful effort into RTFM would have found it again..
http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

Anyone that did any research prior to buying would have easily found exactly what you are saying doesnt exist. And anyone that put meaningful effort into RTFM would have found it again..
http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

And I see nothing gained by belittling the OP for his less than thorough research.

I'm sure you feel different.

Reactions: dlbyers and redmoe
I think alot of people are doing all this research ahead of buying it because it's big purchase. I just wanted one. Dropping $1300 really did not bother me. Monday I was watching ariel footage on YouTube and thought **** that would be cool to own. Tuesday I watched some more videos with reviews and some DIY. Wednesday I went to Amazon and bought it. I didn't think there was a huge need for a bunch of research. Now I am learning as I go. I still do not agree with the size of the no fly zone !!! I hope they fix it. I mean I think all of DC would be more than enough, but the surrounding suburbs is unnecessary. That being said to be a resposible member of the community I will respect the no fly zones.

I got my 1st flight in today ! It was really fun ! I am definitely keeping it ! I will post the 1st flight video and put a link heree in this thread. Thanks to the members that understand my frustration. As for the members who were overly aggressive. Chill out no reason to be mean or troll new members of a community !!

Downloaded Hover. Shows practically my whole city as no fly. There is a Navy auxiliary field near me that most maps don't include in their NFZ. Bad for me if that changes.

Last edited:
I think alot of people are doing all this research ahead of buying it because it's big purchase. I just wanted one. Dropping $1300 really did not bother me. Monday I was watching ariel footage on YouTube and thought **** that would be cool to own. Tuesday I watched some more videos with reviews and some DIY. Wednesday I went to Amazon and bought it. I didn't think there was a huge need for a bunch of research. Now I am learning as I go. I still do not agree with the size of the no fly zone !!! I hope they fix it. I mean I think all of DC would be more than enough, but the surrounding suburbs is unnecessary. That being said to be a resposible member of the community I will respect the no fly zones.

I got my 1st flight in today ! It was really fun ! I am definitely keeping it ! I will post the 1st flight video and put a link heree in this thread. Thanks to the members that understand my frustration. As for the members who were overly aggressive. Chill out no reason to be mean or troll new members of a community !!
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Also it's great that you kept a positive attitude . Have fun flying!

I support responsible flying and this hobby for all UAV owners, but allowing vendors to push DRM on fair use products, enabling them inoperative is wrong! We live in the USA and should be free to express our decenting views and intolerance for this illegal continuing practice. It's starts here and ends with vendors limiting what you can do inside of your own home, etc. stand up for your right people!!!

You have the choice of buying something else. One of the beauties of living in a free country is that no one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy a Phantom.

DJI should be more clear on this. They sneaked the No Fly Zones into P2 Firmware with hardly a notice.

This is rather deceptive. No other 'drone' manufacturer does this and it worries me. Is DJI going to sneak in National Parks exclusions since National Parks have banned drones? And then state park exclusions, monument exclusions?

Is it up to the DJI to play nanny and tell us where we can can't fly? It sends a terrible precedent. It's a band-aid solution.

Anyway, the flight zone has been in effect since 2003, and surely you must remember the occasional "panic" news when some random plane accidentally flies into the zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_DC_Metropolitan_Area_Special_Flight_Rules_Area

Just read most of the thread and personally feel for the OP, surely it would be easier to police a smaller NFZ and maybe take out any UMA/drones that enter it, which lets face it wouldn't take anything more than a rubber bullet, I'm sure they have military drones poised ready to attack.

I totally agree with a forced NFZ around airports or government buildings but a 40 mile NFZ around DC? which will only keep dji drones grounded, that definitely seems a little over the top and a knee jerk reaction to paranoia and lets be honest model aircraft have been around for many years and can be flown without forcible restrictions, I am pretty confidant they would be the craft of choice for the prospective terrorist.

In the UK you cannot own a gun without a licence, which from what I understand the process is quite stringent, my work colleague, who has a shot gun licence, recently had it revoked because he got charged for being drunken and disorderly on a night out, not whilst handling the shotgun I might add. There are still over 8000 gun related crimes committed in the UK every year. My point is a 40 Mile NFZ is only going to stop normal everyday Joe public from enjoying flying their drones, nothing more....IMO.

PS.Obviously my comments are related to drones but I'm assuming that the NFZ around DC is for any aircraft, manned or unmanned, but surely the same restrictions shouldn't apply to drones or at least to anything the size of a Phantom or smaller?

Last edited:
Just read most of the thread and personally feel for the OP, surely it would be easier to police a smaller NFZ and maybe take out any UMA/drones that enter it, which lets face it wouldn't take anything more than a rubber bullet, I'm sure they have military drones poised ready to attack.

I totally agree with a forced NFZ around airports or government buildings but a 40 mile NFZ around DC? which will only keep dji drones grounded, that definitely seems a little over the top and a knee jerk reaction to paranoia and lets be honest model aircraft have been around for many years and can be flown without forcible restrictions, I am pretty confidant they would be the craft of choice for the prospective terrorist.

In the UK you cannot own a gun without a licence, which from what I understand the process is quite stringent, my work colleague, who has a shot gun licence, recently had it revoked because he got charged for being drunken and disorderly on a night out, not whilst handling the shotgun I might add. There are still over 8000 gun related crimes committed in the UK every year. My point is a 40 Mile NFZ is only going to stop normal everyday Joe public from enjoying flying their drones, nothing more....IMO.

PS.Obviously my comments are related to drones but I'm assuming that the NFZ around DC is for any aircraft, manned or unmanned, but surely the same restrictions shouldn't apply to drones or at least to anything the size of a Phantom or smaller?
Interesting viewpoint.. Yet in the end, this all happened because someone didnt know that a no fly zone existed. So if a person DID have a drone other than a DJI product they would have instantly been in a potential world of hurt. How many people DO without putting any effort into they KNOW? DJI has kinda forced something on us that should be able to be turned off. But in doing that they are protecting themselves and the people that dont care to learn before they act.

Interesting viewpoint.. Yet in the end, this all happened because someone didnt know that a no fly zone existed. So if a person DID have a drone other than a DJI product they would have instantly been in a potential world of hurt. How many people DO without putting any effort into they KNOW? DJI has kinda forced something on us that should be able to be turned off. But in doing that they are protecting themselves and the people that dont care to learn before they act.

I certainly don't blame dji, they don't make the rules and I would imagine that if the technology is available in other drones they could be subject to the same restrictions.

It is worth noting that this is a restriction for Phantoms and Inspires, which are targeted towards random consumers and gadget buyers.

DJI does not have these restrictions on their higher end machines and flight controllers (as far as I'm aware.)

It is worth noting that this is a restriction for Phantoms and Inspires, which are targeted towards random consumers and gadget buyers.

DJI does not have these restrictions on their higher end machines and flight controllers (as far as I'm aware.)
As far as I know, all of DJIs multi rotors are run by the same flight controller

I disagree with the person who said DJI snuck this in. This story Was on national news here in the U.S. When the drunk secret service guy landed his phantom on the White House lawn, they announced they would be turning on the NFZ geofencing in their firmware. I had never owned a drone at the time and knew buying a phantom would come with that restriction just from watching the news. Those NFZs are set by the faa, not DJI. Don't blame the company for playing by the rules.

Let's see.... I used to live in Greenbelt, MD.... This would be the place that has the NASA Goddard flight center... This would be the place that has the U.S. Secret Service training facility.... This would be the place that kisses right up against Fort Meade, MD which amongst other things houses the NSA.... Gee, I don't know what the problem might be??? : SMH :

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20