DJI gained a customer and lost a customer in 3 days

You may have researched the Phantom but you didn't research the hobby enough. Buying a Phantom as your first and only R/C quadcopter is akin to buying a small private jet if you want to learn how to be a pilot - or a Red video camera if you want to make YT vids.

In general most experts suggest flying for many hours (months or even a year) using toy quadcopter and then working your way up. In the process of learning the hobby you would definitely have come across the no-fly zones and much more.

It's not a hobby if you start at the top. Not trying to be a critic but I think a lot of the fun is in the education and honing your skills and knowledge. This is true of just about any hobby or sport.

In one sense it's a testimony to how far the Phantoms have come -18 monhs ago no one would have ever thought to just research and buy an advanced model such as this - because they didn't exist.
I will admit I did very little reading into the actual drone hobby. I just wanted to have some casual fun shoot a little video. I have flown tons of R/C Helicopters. I just heard alot of great things about the Phantom and wanted to check it out. I have a feeling with the standard version coming in at a lower price point. This issue is not going to get better.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

This map is 100 percent wrong to look at when buying a DJI product. This map does not even show the majority of the NFZ. Several individuals went to the Oshkosh EAA recently and all were grounded. Grounded since DJI has Oshkosh EAA airport as a NFZ. The above map does not show that. Not to mention several other NFZ that are not listed on that map.

Reactions: GunSurgeon
So its DJIs fault that you dont know where you live? Sounds like its probably best for DJI to have 'lost' you as a customer. No company needs needs customers that cant take any responsibility for their own action!

Reactions: Chnjab
Don't let anyone tell you that you screwed up when you bought the P3P as your first drone, I had never flown a drone in my life, till I bought my P3P, it almost flies itself,
It's the best gadget I'm ever owned.

I am in the same boat. I was not interested enough in flying drones w/o a camera to justify the purchase. Now that the camera's are so good, the drone is stable, and the flying is straight forward, it made perfect sense to jump in. I also think this makes jumping in at a pretty high level make sense.

So its DJIs fault that you dont know where you live? Sounds like its probably best for DJI to have 'lost' you as a customer. No company needs needs customers that cant take any responsibility for their own action!
Your comments are just ignorant. I know where I live.... I didn't know I had to abide by FAA regulations that apply to full size aircraft to fly a drone. I did not know there was a 700sq mile no fly zone for drones here. Why would I ? Explain how I am not taking responsibility for my action ?? Some of you on this forum are just rude for no reason great community. Are you done flexing your epeen ?

I am going to hold onto it and go fly it outside the zone. A few of you got me thinking it might be worth it. Quite a few of you were very helpful. A couple of you have anger issues !

Your comments are just ignorant. I know where I live.... I didn't know I had to abide by FAA regulations that apply to full size aircraft to fly a drone. I did not know there was a 700sq mile no fly zone for drones here. Why would I ? Explain how I am not taking responsibility for my action ?? Some of you on this forum are just rude for no reason great community. Are you done flexing your epeen ?
Is it DJIs fault that you didn't know that there were regulations?
Is it DJIs fault that you didn't know that you lived in a no fly zone?
Why would you? Because YOU wanted to by a quad. Did you learn the laws when you decided you wanted to drive a car? Is the typical person responsible for learning the laws related to owning a gun prior to buying it? Does a cop come to you every day and remind you that there are speed limits that vary in speed, in various places around where you drive? Im being rude? For stating the obvious? It NEVER ceases to amaze me what people have the audacity to complain about. When 90% of the time is boils down to personal accountability!

Don't let anyone tell you that you screwed up when you bought the P3P as your first drone, I had never flown a drone in my life, till I bought my P3P, it almost flies itself,
It's the best gadget I'm ever owned.
Amen brother! I bought a toy quad while waiting for my P3 to be delivered. **** thing was almost impossible to fly. Never would have ordered a P3 based on that experience. P3 is a dream! Get confused or don't know what to do? Let go the sticks and it hovers while you figure it out. It doesn't take years of practice. Keep it in sight and away from objects until your skills are better. RTFM and study these forums to learn everything. If you don't know what all the settings and controls do, or how to fly ATTI you are at greater risk of a fly away or crash. IMHO, it is a waste of money to purchase a trainer.

The point isnt to "win"! And Im not trying to be rue. Just realistic. Society as a whole in the US has going down the crapper. And that largely to be blamed on a complete lack of accountability! DJI DOES have issues.. MOST DEFINITELY!! But educating their customers is definitely NOT something that have a requirement to do, but they do tend to do fairly well at it anyway. There are a half a dozen links on their main site leading to safe flight considerations, FAA restrictions, no fly zone maps, and other safety related documents. Putting RC crap in the air is NOT a totally safe undertaking! But it ALL falls on the back of the pilot/user. It is, and never has been the duty of the manufacturer to explain every last detail. So load the **** thing in the car and drive somewhere where you CAN fly it, and have a flippin blast doing it!

Dude............... you'll have to ignore all of the drone police on these forums. This is the only place they get to act out when their wives/mothers aren't looking! Yes, it's a beyotch that the nfz covers an entire city, but it's the seat of Federal government. They'll do whatever they need to in order to not be frightened. Looks like you have 3 choices................... leave the zone to fly, sell it, or move to a free state!

If you are only flying at your house... Get a smaller cheaper drone... Why fly around your house ... Gets old quick and it's good to have a new location to fly in... These are expensive professional flying cameras meant to film and take photos not play around in your backyard lol. My 2 cents in case anyone cares lol

So I came across in a bit of a rant and quite frustrated yesterday... The city I live in does not have a full aircraft no fly zone over it. We have 5 small recreational airports in the area that recreational pilots fly out of. Dozens of small craft and helicopters fly over our city everyday. Right outside of DJI's no fly zone is the NSA, Secret Service and about a dozen military installations all in areas where you can fly your Phantom no problem. The DJI no fly zone encompasses about 900sq miles. A good portion of it is opened to recreational full size aircraft. The size of the no fly zone is completely ridiculous. If a terrorist wants to use a drone to attack an area with a no fly zone. DJI's measures will not stop them. Around my city we have tons of places where we could saftley and responsibly fly without worry of injuring anyone or there property. There is a 40 acre field in the woods not a 1/2 mile from me. I will be keeping my Phantom for now, but will order another drone to fly here which circumvents the no fly zone issue. I am extremely dissapointed though and look forward to aftermarket controllers and software to combat this issue. Let the no fly zones keep popping you could be looking at the slow death of the hobby... I am curious to people's experience flying it in ATTI mode or with no gps. How much harder is it to pilot ? With out gps hovering will require constant corrections ?

Im not sure, but wouldnt switching the flight controller back to its native NAZA mode eliminate all of these blocks?

Handy app to have re; no fly zones.
Hover - #1 app for drone enthusiasts! UAV fly zones, quadcopter news, and flight logs! by Analytica LLC
https://appsto.re/us/SY9E4.i

This is my area. - red circles are always restricted. The big blue one over Chicago is letting us know there will be a Temporary Flight Restriction from 8/13-8/16 from 2pm -10pm because of aircraft practicing for an air show next weekend.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439143499.049996.jpg

Reactions: S5S5G6
Reminding everyone to keep it constructive and on-topic. Personal attacks are not allowed.

I know my P1s are lacking some really cool features as the newer Phantoms but I can fly just about anywhere anytime. I don't really feel I am missing that much. If I want to fly 3 miles away...I'll just drive there. The NO FLY areas and smart batteries prices really turn me off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4