Distance test

Reaction score
I've seen some distance test on youtube but they were over water which made me nervous. Furthest one of those I saw was 3 miles.

Since I have a Jeep I drove it out to a highly deserted section of the Texas coast and I was able to get 4 miles while still having 1 bar of video signal left. Using an iPad I couldn't record the display but I was able to get a screenshot. For a first drone this sucker is pretty nice.

oG8qkDL.jpg

That is impressive, being at only 56' in height. No mods?

If you are a new pilot, that is very brave.
I would have been more nervous over water. Keeping it over land I felt if I lost signal it would have headed for home and I would have jumped in my Jeep and moved toward it. Eventually I would intercept and pull it down or it would land and I'd have to go find it.

I also have that Care Refresh so as long as I have a corpse I should be ok.

Reactions: Rob1962
I would have been more nervous over water. Keeping it over land I felt if I lost signal it would have headed for home and I would have jumped in my Jeep and moved toward it. Eventually I would intercept and pull it down or it would land and I'd have to go find it.

Strange,I have very little problems now over water, but distance still freaks me out, 2 miles is enough for me,greetings from the UK.

remember rth is a 20 meter circle, so it can still land in water if you are close enough to it at launch.

Reactions: JohnnyB
I've seen some distance test on youtube but they were over water which made me nervous. Furthest one of those I saw was 3 miles.

Since I have a Jeep I drove it out to a highly deserted section of the Texas coast and I was able to get 4 miles while still having 1 bar of video signal left. Using an iPad I couldn't record the display but I was able to get a screenshot. For a first drone this sucker is pretty nice.

oG8qkDL.jpg
Awesome! What were your HD settings? Auto? Manual? Which channel? What transmission rate? The screenshot shows it was in 2.4Ghz at the extreme. Have you tried Auto 5.8 Ghz? I have gotten to 20,400 feet away in all Auto at 5.8 Ghz (turned around at 57% because of a strong headwind), and others are reporting similar results on iOS in heavily urban areas with that setting, even at low elevations.

Last edited:
Awesome! What were your HD settings? Auto? Manual? Which channel? What transmission rate? The screenshot shows it was in 2.4Ghz at the extreme. Have you tried Auto 5.8 Ghz? I have gotten to 20,400 feet away in all Auto at 5.8 Ghz (turned around at 57% because of a strong headwind), and others are reporting similar results on iOS in heavily urban areas with that setting, even at low elevations.
It was in auto and it chose 2.4ghz, I don't know which particular channel was picked. I assumed it was good as in-town it usually does 5.8 most times. I typically use 5.8ghz as very little to anything sits there. I had a small tailwind pushing the drone out and I flew it back manually so I could run at top speed (in GPS so it was 25-26mph)

It made it back with 25% left.

21000 ft DOWNWIND! You are one brave pilot.
It was just a breeze I was still getting 25+mph on the return flight. I'm not entirely sure of the overall direction of the wind. It wasn't too much of a wind as I was being harassed by mosquitoes

It was just a breeze I was still getting 25+mph on the return flight. I'm not entirely sure of the overall direction of the wind. It wasn't too much of a wind as I was being harassed by mosquitoes
That I understand. I taste good also.

I went 4.5 miles out. Directly over a major metropolis , was in 5.8Ghz the whole time. But I had to go up 1000ft to do so.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It was in auto and it chose 2.4ghz, I don't know which particular channel was picked. I assumed it was good as in-town it usually does 5.8 most times. I typically use 5.8ghz as very little to anything sits there. I had a small tailwind pushing the drone out and I flew it back manually so I could run at top speed (in GPS so it was 25-26mph)

It made it back with 25% left.
Well done. That's consistent with the other great results on Auto, as well as 5.8 in urban areas. No wind or only light breezes increases the battery life for long distance runs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers