Determining where to fly; what to film

Reaction score
I'm new to drones, and I was curious how people decide where to fly their drones, and what to film. I've done the obligatory neighborhood flights, and I even went out to a remote spot in the desert to fly and film around. But now I find myself wondering, where to fly next? What would make an interesting video?

Now granted, I live in Phoenix, and there are hundreds if not thousands of great scenic places to fly and film at, but it's Phoenix. And the day time temperature averages around 115 F or so, and this year the humidity is atrocious, so being outside for any length of time is not all that pleasant. Plus the unbearable beating of the sun upon you, and the really, really bad glare of the tablet.

I'm not really a hiker, plus again, do I need to mention the weather?

So I'm curious about other peoples thought processes when they want to go film something. How do you determine where to fly, and what to film? I know this is going to mostly subjective, and everybody has their own preferences and tastes. But I thought maybe some of the people who've been doing this for a while might want to share some of their thoughts.

You will quickly lose interest in photography and videography if you are simply thinking about what is new to shoot, because there is practically nothing new to shoot as far as the subject of the shooting goes.

It would help to change your perspective, rather than the subject of your shoot. By now, everybody has access to photos and videos of nearly everything that can be imaged. What they are looking for is an interesting perspective. People want to see professional images, images that are shot with the right lighting, from the right angle, and framed in such a way as to look artful or expressive.

If you can't develop the skill of creating interest out of mundane situations, then there is nothing you can shoot that will satisfy you or anybody else.

Living room" can build cool scale models of landscapes and take pictures with the p3. All in the comfort of the air conditioning

I'm new to drones, and I was curious how people decide where to fly their drones, and what to film. I've done the obligatory neighborhood flights, and I even went out to a remote spot in the desert to fly and film around. But now I find myself wondering, where to fly next? What would make an interesting video?

Now granted, I live in Phoenix, and there are hundreds if not thousands of great scenic places to fly and film at, but it's Phoenix. And the day time temperature averages around 115 F or so, and this year the humidity is atrocious, so being outside for any length of time is not all that pleasant. Plus the unbearable beating of the sun upon you, and the really, really bad glare of the tablet.

I'm not really a hiker, plus again, do I need to mention the weather?

So I'm curious about other peoples thought processes when they want to go film something. How do you determine where to fly, and what to film? I know this is going to mostly subjective, and everybody has their own preferences and tastes. But I thought maybe some of the people who've been doing this for a while might want to share some of their thoughts.

Weather is a problem in AZ so you either shoot in the early morning or in the late afternoon which I'll admit isn't much time but it's better then nothing at all.

The smallest thing will quickly be interesting when filmed from above. i live on a small half Island and i have been filming all over the place. Amongst other things you can reach from above places not easily seen from the road and that would often put the whole neighboorhood in a new perspectiv. Also look for places being developed. make a before and after movie. Experiment with settings in the camera that way you can suddenly find exiting new ways to look at the fotage. Also get up really early, then you can go places that at later times are filled with people and cars. And you dont put anyone in danger. Also when you are more trained in flying, try night flying lots of nice fotage to get from that. And finaly take tons of pictures and make panoramas. Russel Brown of Adobe have some really nice videos on how to do that. Most important have fun. fly as much as you can to train yourself and to get confident in flying over water and close to threes etc. Sorry for spellings my dictionarie went bust. www.skyvision.no here is my website all the pics and most of the videos is taken with a Phantom 2. Now i got a P3 Pro and i film all the time, you never know what you can get. when u are done convert it to HD for editing. and know that you have original fottage in 4 K for future use.
Oh and get a ton of Hardisk for storage hehe.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
When I got my P2V+ last December I was just excited to be taking photos from a new perspective. Now with the P3P it has been about visiting the same locations when the conditions are far more interesting. These 2 images area good example.....7 months ago and this morning amongst the fog. As they say in landscape photography "It's all about the light!"
Wind308e.jpg
WindFoge.jpg

When I got my P2V+ last December I was just excited to be taking photos from a new perspective. Now with the P3P it has been about visiting the same locations when the conditions are far more interesting. These 2 images area good example.....7 months ago and this morning amongst the fog. As they say in landscape photography "It's all about the light!"
View attachment 24252 View attachment 24253

Now that last one is a nice picture!

That happens with all new cameras. Unbox it. Total excitement. Read the quick-start quide. Photograph the pet, the house, the neighborhood, the local area, the distant local area. Then what? Drive to the country. Night shots. What next? This is a "camera with wings", so you still have to be creative to avoid repetitive tedium. The overwhelming desire to fly every day contrasts with the reality of taking the same pictures. So, read the posts, become more proficient with calibrations and flying skills, order spare parts. And as the other posts here imply, become very creative. Take a great trip to a scenic place! I shoot charity and outdoor events (not for pay), so each event presents new challenges. I'm careful not to get directly over people or busy roads, etc. Local sports events can be fun!

Last edited:
As a photographer I have learned to adapt to weather conditions to get the photograph I want. I have photographed in the cold, hot humid, rain and everything else. If you love what you are doing the weather does not matter. Perfect weather is not always the best time to photograph. There is always something every day to photograph you just have to develop a photographic eye.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
Part of the interest for me is determining where those spots are. Now when I drive around I find myself looking for good places to film. Search the Internet for sightseeing places in your area.

You might also want to look into night flying. Find a nicely lit building.

Try photographing wildlife from above a la Planet Earth series. Arizona has some of the best pronghorn, elk and deer available anywhere. Check with your local game laws to make sure any such attempt is not considered "harassment" of the wildlife. Find watering holes and game trails. Use your binoculars from a nearby ridge, then go get some outstanding shots.

I'm compiling my own and will share toward the end of August.

I've had the same thought process as Wizaerd.. My aerial photography repertoire is slowly growing since I started in Spring but I am wanting some more interesting stuff. :) Living in the midwest does suck in that regard as you do have to exert a little more energy to get somewhere interesting-looking. ;)

Here's what I've come up with so far!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/crankybit/sets/72157654224285935

Josh

SO another odd idle thought I had today that I'm curious about... Are you more interested in photography with your drone, or videography. I was thinking initially just video, but now am leaning a bit more towards photography (although I'm sure I'll actually do both)...

Again, just like you, I was more excited about videography, but the work I've been happier with is the photography. But I would say it's because photography is easier to fix for an amateur... I can crop a poor framed shot, and I can take a million pictures. Great video clips are harder to get right and require me to have better skills at navigation, and I'm not there yet.

So I'm hoping my love of videography will get satiated as the skills come eventually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.