davinchi video editor now free

Reaction score
thought i would share this link for anyone who wants to video edit. personally i use a crack version of wondershare and love it, but this link for davinchi video editor as it's now gone free. might give this a shot myself

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

It's been FREE for as long as I can remember with an option to Upgrade to their whole Full Feature Suite (way over kill for what we do).

I've used it and it's rock solid if you're looking to dive in DEEP into editing and color grading.

As above.. and the new version is much easier on your hardware, although a really good graphics card is still a good idea.

Sorry didn't realize it was always free lol good for newbies hopefully who didn't know [emoji4]

Little trick is once you have your video in the color part of DaVinci Resolve 14, hit Alt + A and watch the image pop on your screen. Saves a lot of time in grading later once you do it.

I ended up buying their Studio Edition ($299) for the extra effects and higher resolution. It used to retail for $999. It came with a USB security dongle instead of a Key Code. Seems the Hollywood pros who use it cannot edit or do their work on computers that are attached to the internet (Piracy and intellectual property lawsuits erupt if they do!) so they provide a dongle to run the software as a stand-alone. They have to download any updates into a laptop and load it into their editing computer instead. If you own the Studio version, you can request a Key Code and use that instead of the security dongle in the USB port. If you go the activation/key code route, you'll get some "DaVinci Resolve Project Server" on your desktop as you are online (I have no clue as to what or how it works.).

Their download manual PDF is something like 1,300+ pages too. Complex!

Reactions: Johnc769
So I have been trying to work with DaVince Resolve. I chose a laptop with Intel i7 7th gen, 16gb of ram 256 gig solid state drive (also 1tb of storage) and a Nvidia GeForce gtx 1050 graphics card.
All that sounds great but come to find out that is not enough to run It smoothly. The cpu only utilizes 1 of its cores at a time (I know, stupid right?) And the "graphics card" is integrated into the motherboard and does not have a stand alone cooling system. The cpu and gpu are inherently locked together.
When running the program, just playing the imported media, it is laggy even before you start to work with it. I am considering another program, like Premiere Pro, in place of Resolve.
Are there any other programs that someone can recommend to me that would work better on my system? Thanks in advance.

So I have been trying to work with DaVince Resolve. I chose a laptop with Intel i7 7th gen, 16gb of ram 256 gig solid state drive (also 1tb of storage) and a Nvidia GeForce gtx 1050 graphics card.
All that sounds great but come to find out that is not enough to run It smoothly. The cpu only utilizes 1 of its cores at a time (I know, stupid right?) And the "graphics card" is integrated into the motherboard and does not have a stand alone cooling system. The cpu and gpu are inherently locked together.
When running the program, just playing the imported media, it is laggy even before you start to work with it. I am considering another program, like Premiere Pro, in place of Resolve.
Are there any other programs that someone can recommend to me that would work better on my system? Thanks in advance.

I think there is a setting in one of the Davinci Resolve menus where you can dial back the screen resolution and rendering so it will run faster on slow systems. It doesn't affect the final output once you get there. It may be in their 1,300 page manual somewhere or in their online forums. Why you use only one core of the i7 is baffling too.

Reactions: Johnc769
Sorry didn't realize it was always free lol good for newbies hopefully who didn't know [emoji4]
Actually I think that 12.7 was the only free version when 14 first came out.
I think the video output is still limited to full HD - or maybe I'm thinking of Avid...

That's the main reason I went to Premier Elements - Resolve was doggy even on my Ryzen 5 build with much the same specs as yours. It's no slouch and Resolve stutters badly on previews.

One thing I learned with Resolve 14 is that you must set the software to match your drone's video output each time you start it as it defaults to some setting that can cause stuttering. If you select the "Leave as is" when inputting the file it still makes some minor input changes that do not match. I have to click on that right gear in the lower right and confirm all settings there are the same as the input video off the drone. Whatever output after that is fine. Sort of annoying as I have had to back all the way out to make them if I forget.

Reactions: Brojon
One thing I learned with Resolve 14 is that you must set the software to match your drone's video output each time you start it as it defaults to some setting that can cause stuttering.
I had heard to set the timeline to your footage resolution and the preview/grading output to HD. I guess the issue is the effort it takes to show the full 4K output on a less than 4K monitor.
I'm downloading it now - I'll see if it runs better than 12.7 did. Supposedly they sped everything up 10x and fixed the GPU issues.

I had heard to set the timeline to your footage resolution and the preview/grading output to HD. I guess the issue is the effort it takes to show the full 4K output on a less than 4K monitor.
I'm downloading it now - I'll see if it runs better than 12.7 did. Supposedly they sped everything up 10x and fixed the GPU issues.

Yeah, I think my issue was I set the drone to 29.97 fps and the default Resolve 14 uses is 24 frames per second. It rendered faster when I set it to 29.97 fps, but I have to do it when starting a project and before importing the drone file else one of the three fps windows in that gear pop-up and save menu will show 24 fps and it's messy. The Playback in the top menu bar controls the monitor's screen rendering speed: Proxy and a couple of others if your computer isn't powerful enough. Mine got up to four cores just now playing with it.

I think the higher rez and maybe the H265 is part of the Studio 14 version and not in the free one, but I can't recall as I bought the full-blown thing. It's pretty fast on the output end too - if I set it up right prior to importing any footage. I ended up buying some expensive effects (Rocketstock) for it too which look "Hollywoodish SPX."

I think there is a setting in one of the Davinci Resolve menus where you can dial back the screen resolution and rendering so it will run faster on slow systems. It doesn't affect the final output once you get there. It may be in their 1,300 page manual somewhere or in their online forums. Why you use only one core of the i7 is baffling too.

I got on the Forum for people that use DaVinci Resolve and it was said to me that the program itself actually only will utilize One Core.

I got on the Forum for people that use DaVinci Resolve and it was said to me that the program itself actually only will utilize One Core.
It should do more than that. I think Peter Chamberlain on that forum (He has something to do with Resolve.) said it can run up to 44 cores, but the GPU is more important.

This outfit ran Resolve 14 on an 18 core but the 16 core beat it, but the 16 was also a faster processor. DaVinci Resolve 14 CPU Performance: Skylake-X vs Threadripper
I don't know what the Studio 14 version does other than 4K or higher and a lot more effects. I bought it but haven't tried a whole lot of what's buried within it. I played with some small effect file and got up to 100% of the processor with 4 cores active. I know my computer is 2.60 Ghz and I don't know how it hits 3.10 Ghz in Davinci Resolve Studio 14. At least it renders the file fast (I was playing with the blur and streak effects in Radium).

Screenshot.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl