CSC Question - Rapid Descent

Reaction score
So...I understand CSC..and of course use the 'dual stick' one to start motors. I avoid any 'aggressive' stick movements in flight that may trigger this CSC.
My question is this....does/would the 'hold throttle down for 3 sec' actually shut down the motors in mid-air? This one scares me. Every time I do any kind of rapid descent I am concerned I will shut off the motors. How do folks do any kind of fast descent without triggering this? (wish the app let you disable this one...)

All help/inputs appreciated.

Stilgar
P.S. Happy 4th all.....and safe flying!

When holding the left stick in the full down position, the motors will only stop after your Phantom has stopped descending for 3-5 seconds. It does not matter if it's on the ground or not when it stops descending.

When holding the left stick in the full down position, the motors will only stop after your Phantom has stopped descending for 3-5 seconds. It does not matter if it's on the ground or not when it stops descending.

So...if its descending (actually losing altitude) then it wont engage the CSC?
So I can actually 'full throttle down' for rapid descent without worry?

Stilgar

CSC can only be engaged like this:

P3-CSC.png

So I can actually 'full throttle down' for rapid descent without worry?
Yes.

But left yaw with full down will create rotation which could spiral the copter at a rapid rate while descending. Would this set up a destructive vortex that could cause a crash?
Perhaps. But, if you're going to intentionally fly like that, you should go pick up a Syma X12 instead :)

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
Perhaps. But, if you're going to intentionally fly like that, you should go pick up a Syma X12 instead :)
Not suggesting anyone to intentionally to fly like that, but the inexperienced may accidently input left or right rotation when descending and then compound that in a state of panic "trying to figure out how to compensate" for something that doesn't look right when all the while they are creating that very movement. I have been flying radio control aircraft for a few years, and that happens.

So, in that case, it wouldn't take a full CSC to bring it down, the yaw/descend could cause a crash if the pilot didn't realize he was inputting both at the same time.

So, in that case, it wouldn't take a full CSC to bring it down, the yaw/descend could cause a crash if the pilot didn't realize he was inputting both at the same time.
I suppose anything is possible. I've never heard of such a thing happening though.

Now it makes me want to do some testing--- to see what actually happens a full left yaw and full down -- anybody have a test Phantom up to the task;);) maybe start a 300 feet before trying..:D:D

Naw-- my heart would stand up to the stress---LOL

Let me guess... if that test passes, you'll then try flying full speed into a brick wall? :D :D

I suppose anything is possible. I've never heard of such a thing happening though.
It may have already happened several times on this forum, we have had numerous discussions regarding full left stick descent and accidental CSC's being inputted while the left stick was at full descent.
My question is what happens when the left stick is full down and left or right yaw is inputted at full descent-- will this cause the Phantom to roll out of control? We have very experienced quad pilots on this forum-- come on -- chime in here? I know what would happen with my Edge 540 50 cc RC airplane, but it is not a Phantom 3.

Now it makes me want to do some testing--- to see what actually happens a full left yaw and full down -- anybody have a test Phantom up to the task;);) maybe start a 300 feet before trying..:D:D

Naw-- my heart would stand up to the stress---LOL
Those of you who have the option to use the simulator should for sure be using the simulator. Move your sticks closer and closer to the CSC until shutoff is triggered. You will see that both sticks down and in, though a very simple thing to do physically on the RC, really does result in a "batshit crazy downward spiral of death." Even though it is possible to do this, your P3 is not meant to be flown in that manner and you would likely not do this accidentally.

Last edited:
Those of you who have the option to use the simulator should for sure be using the simulator. Move your sticks closer and closer to the CSC until shutoff is triggered. You will see that both sticks down and in, though a very simple thing to do physically on the RC, really does result in a "batshit crazy downward spiral of death." Even though it is possible to do this, your P3 is not meant to be flown in that manner and you would likely not do this accidentally.

I asked this above -- no answer yet

My question is what happens when the left stick is full down and left or right yaw is inputted at full descent-- will this cause the Phantom to roll out of control? We have very experienced quad pilots on this forum-- come on -- chime in here? I know what would happen with my Edge 540 50 cc RC airplane, but it is not a Phantom 3.

I did not suggest to fly like this, but to address the issue of spiraling crashes blamed on CSC.. Many of the chaps flying the Phantoms have little or no experience flying RC and a left stick right or left yaw is very easy for the inexperienced if the left stick is full descent. My point is that this input does not have to be incorporated with a full back left or right bank (CSC) to cause a crash.

A full descent on the left stick and the Phantom will descend without issues, but accidently inputting left or right yaw with that descent will spin the aircraft in descent which may well cause it to go out of control, roll and crash.

That look like what was happening in the video presented for comments. yawing left at a high rate and descending and then rolling out of control.

It may have already happened several times on this forum, we have had numerous discussions regarding full left stick descent and accidental CSC's being inputted while the left stick was at full descent.
Numerous ?? I must have missed them.
I've seen numerous posts about one incident with someone videoing skiboats. Is that what you mean?

I asked this above -- no answer yet
I suspect the Phantom would simply do a crazy spinning descent but not lose control.
So many differences between a Phantom and a single prop plane that the comparison probably isn't valid.
Easy enough for someone with an Apple device to test in the simulator.

I suspect the Phantom would simply do a crazy spinning descent but not lose control.
So many differences between a Phantom and a single prop plane that the comparison probably isn't valid.
Easy enough for someone with an Apple device to test in the simulator.
Will be testing it..:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers