Crowdfund hacker to build custom firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're moving forward albeit a little slowly. There's some hope for a fix that is being explored now. I haven't progressed on collecting donations yet but will start soon. We'll probably use that as a gift to the technical resources who help deliver the solution.

Reactions: rulppa
Keep Going at it Ian it will be well worth the wait..., I have flown my P2V a lot more since this geo fence was launched so at least i can still fly a bit weather permitting..as soon as you need the donations just drop me a pm.

Flack

Wondering if group found possible way to actually do custom/modified FW, or is it only proxy-based workaround for NFZ without other features so far?

I know that this is a BIG request....make it possible roll back to ANY fw, please....

I need 1.1.9 or at least 1.3.2 stability too.....

But all my prayers for you guys!!

Reactions: Apilot101
Fella's,

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what the real issues are here. I have a P3Pro (new motors) with a "B" series TX. When I received it, it had 1.4.1 on the AC and 1.3.2 on the TX. Not knowing any better, I upgraded to 1.5 on the AC and TX. I then read some of these posts and immediately downgraded the AC to 1.4 but left the TX on 1.5. I fly with Litchi (Android) and just use DJI Go (2.4.3) when I need to change advanced settings that aren't available in Litchi. I immediately "locked-down" my Nvidia Shield and Galaxy Tab S2, no auto-updates and no internet access unless I need it. The weather here has been horrible so I haven't been able to fly until yesterday. I jumped on the internet and cached my maps on Litchi, then shut down wifi on my Shield. I ran through six batteries between yesterday and today using Litchi. I had no issues whatsoever. Keep in mind I'm in the Boonies so I have no issues with NFZ's.

How can I tell if I'm good to go? I'll be heading down to Texas next week (taking 3 birds with me) and don't want to get down there to find out that I have some issue. Can anyone tell me what I need to look for/at to see if I'll have some kind of issue?

Thanks in advance for any replies/advice.

Jerry

I would pay just to be able to get back from 1.6 to 1.4

I am on 1.5 right now and I never installed 1.6 so I'd probably be able to go down to 1.4

Is there any change that I missed or why is 1.4 better than 1.5?

I am on 1.5 right now and I never installed 1.6 so I'd probably be able to go down to 1.4

Is there any change that I missed or why is 1.4 better than 1.5?
1.5 has serious glitches that has caused the battery to shut off mid flight in a few phantoms. Upgrade or downgrade, I would recommend not using 1.5.

1.5 have no speed limit. 1.6 upgrade of battery is only for battery. So if you want to have battery fixed - upgrade battery to 1.6 and the bird to 1.5.

I was on 1.5....no issues....but rollback to 1.4...

However the drifting on 1.4 is more noticeable than 1.5.

Need 1.1.9 or 1.3.2.

There was a jumper on the original phantom that you could use. If you connected the jumper, powered on and powered off, it wiped the memory of the Phantom.

Knowing a little (very little) about software code, those instructions are still somewhere in the code for the P3. Find a mechanical way to trigger that jumper (the main control board of the P3 does not have them) and perhaps you could wipe the Phantom completely, including no fly zone information.

Without a physical hack, software would have to access the memory that stores the NFZ information (it exists somewhere, is writable and unlockable). Forensic hacking would be needed. I'm positive it is do-able, but I won't pay for someone to do it; if DJI is going to force change upon me, even before the FAA, and do so in a more restrictive manner than necesary, I will have no choice but to buy a P2, install lightbridge 1, and go back to a Hero 4.

I just want to take the **** thing up to fly. I'm a pilot. I have a 333. I get the need to promote safety and education, but there isn't an auto manufacturer in the world that limits their vehicles to a top speed of 75 mph.

Time to get wireshark out!

DJI drones (DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ UAV) command/control protocol dissector for #Wireshark code.wireshark.org/review/6328 Thanks Joerg Mayer 3/3

Ever wonder what your GO app really connects to on the Internet when you run it? One user used Wireshark to find out using the GO iOS app (2.5.1). With the coming GEO fencing implementation, this is worth a read.

He installed a device firewall to block all unnecessary communication between the GO app and the outside world and has flown 10 flights so far with no issues and full access to the maps. (Note you need to Jailbreak your device to install a firewall app (i.e. from Cydia like Firewall IP) that filters all app traffic to do this.)

These are all the connections the app tries to make (outside of those you need for maps).

•mydjiflight.dji.com

•newrelic.com - app analytics

•djistatic.com

•flurry.com - Mobile analytics company

•conf.international.baidu.com

•baidu.com

•qbox.me (via qbox.wscdns.com)

•upgrade.dj2006.net

•pingma.qq.com

•u.dji.com

•acbe.aasky.net -type this one in a browser for a nice scare.

•tpns.qq.com

•dds.dji.com

•pilotv2.djivideos.com

•active.dji.com

•m.dji.com

•djicdn.com

www.skypixel.com

•djiexplore.com

•flysafe-api.dji.com - LOL registered to Perfect Privacy LLC

You can block these by using the pure domains but listed them for completeness.

I like the idea about leaving it here - setting up another area / backup area is certainly a good plan as well. I would LIKE to see DJI respond here. That's Linux code - it should follow one of the several open source licensing schema out there (not sure which this distro follows). DJI is likely in violation of those agreements since they haven't opened the code.

DJI can do a couple of things 1) ignore it 2) support it or 3) get hostile. Will be interesting to see what conspires.

Edit: It's GPL3, the distro is here.
I wonder if we approached DJI in regards to their violation of licensing if we could get them to open the door for us??

We really need to find a way to be able downgrade, upgrade between firmwares freely. I can't think of it being that hard. I really doubt it's anywhere near what Apple implies to prevent iOS downgrades...
As the fw downgrade on the phantom is done strictly on the aircraft , with no mobile device connected etc for Internet access. it means that whatever check prevents the downgrade, is on the aircraft itself.

DJI drones (DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ UAV) command/control protocol dissector for #Wireshark code.wireshark.org/review/6328 Thanks Joerg Mayer 3/3

Wireshark won't help unless someone knows how to emulate the lower layers of the OFDM protocol DJI is using. The P2 vision uses something entirely different. USB sniffing on the P3 will be much easier than reverse engineering the RF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic