Crowdfund hacker to build custom firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to partecipate to the subforum, as an embedded system developer (hw and sw) I'd like to get in DJI firmware mess.

Reactions: Mordor and Muva Bee
I want to partecipate to the subforum, as an embedded system developer (hw and sw) I'd like to get in DJI firmware mess.
Go, go, go.. Welcome :)

Pls, join on more private forum. Find more info in this thread.
I would say we are sill in this phase but there are already some neat ideas

People who should be able to access the sub-forum:

@Shammyh
@Muva Bee
@Apilot101
@nozza87
@DiluxEdition
@WetDog
@kandelin16
@P3P Canada
@andrew_by
@revnja
@DaGunn
@mcphipps
@Terabyte
@Jtrjr

The forum is under the P3 section called "P3 Firmware Development". If you can't see it and you're on the list, PM me. If you can get into it, start posting. ;)

Being added today:

@Dome
@Kyokushin
@Lam Busser

If you think you can contribute to the technical challenge, have development or reverse engineering skills, PM me and I'll add you.

People who should be able to access the sub-forum:

@Shammyh
@Muva Bee
@Apilot101
@nozza87
@DiluxEdition
@WetDog
@kandelin16
@P3P Canada
@andrew_by
@revnja
@DaGunn
@mcphipps
@Terabyte
@Jtrjr

The forum is under the P3 section called "P3 Firmware Development". If you can't see it and you're on the list, PM me. If you can get into it, start posting. ;)

Being added today:

@Dome
@Kyokushin
@Lam Busser

If you think you can contribute to the technical challenge, have development or reverse engineering skills, PM me and I'll add you.
I would like to join and learn.

Gents (and lady persons if we have any),

This is the MAIN THREAD for expressing interest in opening up the P3 firmware. Four options for contributing here:

1. What features you would like to see. Keep it realistic.
2. Donating an amount of money to support the effort.
3. Registering interest in the technical effort to explore the firmware and identifying ways to make potential changes.
4. Technical observations, ideas for exploring the firmware, data, etc.

I am building a list. If you are offering to contribute, I will contact you via PM.

Where and how the development effort is done is still open for discussion. If you have been invited to a private forum on another site, you can sign up there if you like but it was set up without consultation and it is premature and superfluous.

If you are concerned about DJI getting all worked up about this thread, don't be. There are numerous reverse engineering threads on the P1, P2, A2, and other DJI platforms that have been around for years and they're wide open. I've actively worked on dissecting the CAN bus protocol on a public thread on rcgroups for over a year. DJI has done nothing about any of these. I don't expect this to be any different.

Once we get some critical mass, we can take this to a more suitable place with some access controls and potentially use tools like Asana and Slack as was previously suggested. If you have concerns or suggestions, feel free to share them.
I would like to propose this for getting a list of ideas: set up a poll for people to vote on ideas as well as coming up with new ones. Each week or two weeks, we could move the feature with most vote to a discussion thread to flush out the details and reset rest of the items n poll to zero and remove item being discussed and add any new item that srems interesting. And also drop 3 features with lowest vote.

I am no pro but I love my bird. If that's enough, please add me. I will try my best to contribute. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am no pro but I love my bird. If that's enough, please add me. I will try my best to contribute. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
+1 I am for the cause but have no firmware development experience. Would love to see progress and follow it. I use to have an iphone for years and would always jailbreak and keep up with the development community.

On feature set, these are my wish list:

Remove 500 meter height limit.

Remove GEO fencing (but am OK leaving airport restrictions in place)

Allow us to set various battery warning limit, autoland limit.

Allow adjusting the transmission power. This can be merge with FCC/ EC mode request. Make the power level variable.

Prevent battery from shutting down while motor is still on.

Remove or increase horizontal and vertical speed limit, but automatically reduce load/speed if detect power voltage drop below critical.

Prevent battery from shutting down while motor is still on.

Ohhh.. VERY bad idea. Unless you allow the BUTTON to override that. I just found out today that somehow the sticks had been set to CUSTOM but no axis assignments. THat meant once it did auto-takeoff, I couldn't move or control it. I had to yank it out of the air and thumb the power button.

Not sure if the control axis assigments are stored in the bird or in GO only. If they are in the bird, then there should be NO WAY to assign custom with NO axis assigned. So if that is FW based put that on the list!

As for suggestions....

Geo Fencing is ok. However I would like it to be an optional thing. As it approaches a NFZ, an OK and IGNORE option should be available. OK would stop the bird. IGNORE should allow me to proceed anyway. I see absolutely no reason to not be able to fly down my street below tree line running video of christmas lights in a NFZ. If I am below where a manned plane can fly, then I should be able to ignore the NFZ fence right on the app with the Ignore button and not be forced into it via firmware restrictions.

Maybe this is a "stupid" request, but me and few users had a lovely feedback from 1.1.9fw, in the way he was responsive and flight straight line....without drifting...

So, in that department, of stability and control, make 1.1.9fw as base, as opposite to 1.4, for example.

For me, a perfect rom/fw would be 1.1.9fw + just POI feature only.

It would be perfect.

Many thanks to all of you!

P.S. NO GEO, of course...

Ohhh.. VERY bad idea. Unless you allow the BUTTON to override that. I just found out today that somehow the sticks had been set to CUSTOM but no axis assignments. THat meant once it did auto-takeoff, I couldn't move or control it. I had to yank it out of the air and thumb the power button.

I should have been clearer. No AUTOMATIC battery shutdown while the motor is ON, ever.

I said i'm willing to donate when/if needed, but not sure anymore. I would accept no-permissions to write on sub-forum if thats the point here, but without knowledge how things are going on daily basis and whats been done, i dont see the point? Sure, i can buy FW if it comes out some day (pretty sure it will be free) but what i ment wasn't that. This should be more transparent.

Trusted person who is involved (ianwood?) or someone else should set up paypal account and set eg. 100usd donate per user and when done, access to subforum. People with know-how would get few phantoms/hw/sw for their purposes pretty quickly and so on.

I said i'm willing to donate when/if needed, but not sure anymore. I would accept no-permissions to write on sub-forum if thats the point here, but without knowledge how things are going on daily basis and whats been done, i dont see the point? Sure, i can buy FW if it comes out some day (pretty sure it will be free) but what i ment wasn't that. This should be more transparent.

Trusted person who is involved (ianwood?) or someone else should set up paypal account and set eg. 100usd donate per user and when done, access to subforum. People with know-how would get few phantoms/hw/sw for their purposes pretty quickly and so on.

You should be able to post in there. Let me know if that isn't the case. Anyone else who wants access and can contribute to the technical discussion should message me for access. Also message me if you have already requested but don't have full access.

I will be messaging folks about contributions soon. I want to make sure we have solid momentum and the likelihood of doing something meaningful before taking anyone's money. It's early days so far, but I think we can raise a few thousand dollars pretty easily.

As for how the money gets spent, I think a bounty might be the best way to do it. It can be split amongst those who contribute to the solution. And we can use it for buying a donor P3 if need be.

P3 Firmware development (click) -> "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." and yes, i did request few days ago.

I have volunteered to help and also by donating to the cause, but not had anything back yet, I understand that you need tech's, but would like to keep up to date with whats happening. I get the you do not have permission to view this page..

Flack

We'll keep this thread up to date with progress. I want to keep the technical group technical only for the time being. I hope that's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart