Crowdfund hacker to build custom firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents (and lady persons if we have any),

This is the MAIN THREAD for expressing interest in opening up the P3 firmware. Four options for contributing here:

1. What features you would like to see. Keep it realistic.
2. Donating an amount of money to support the effort.
3. Registering interest in the technical effort to explore the firmware and identifying ways to make potential changes.
4. Technical observations, ideas for exploring the firmware, data, etc.

I am building a list. If you are offering to contribute, I will contact you via PM.

Where and how the development effort is done is still open for discussion. If you have been invited to a private forum on another site, you can sign up there if you like but it was set up without consultation and it is premature and superfluous.

If you are concerned about DJI getting all worked up about this thread, don't be. There are numerous reverse engineering threads on the P1, P2, A2, and other DJI platforms that have been around for years and they're wide open. I've actively worked on dissecting the CAN bus protocol on a public thread on rcgroups for over a year. DJI has done nothing about any of these. I don't expect this to be any different.

Once we get some critical mass, we can take this to a more suitable place with some access controls and potentially use tools like Asana and Slack as was previously suggested. If you have concerns or suggestions, feel free to share them.

Imo the main things the fw should have are

1- GFY NFZ
2- Bitrate increased
3- Try to unlock 4k on P3A

Reactions: Mordor
This is the MAIN THREAD for expressing interest in opening up the P3 firmware. Four options for contributing here:

Ian,

Got it, thank you. I have indicated in a previous post my willingness to help in any way that I can. My technical abilities are moot here but will offer support in other ways as necessary. I will follow this thread but will stay out of the discussion as to not clutter it with useless banter. If I can see, or you can, an area where I can be useful, I'll inject myself or reply to any request made of me.

Jerry

I am willing to help anyway I can, have some technical background but nothing like some of the guys on here, but I am sure I help in other ways.

Flack

My perception is that DJI did not realize what power they where going to inherit with their technology. I have found that the group I love, the phatomneirs is fighting the fact that the general public hate products like this and are going to make there house a no fly zone which is already popping up on areas. I would hope that the faa does not get in the pockets of DJI and make the flying experience like we are using it for spying which is the general publics perception.
But to create a firmware to "jail break the Phantom seems it would force the faa. Hand to do far worse then what sounds like is already taking place. Registering drones, height limits, no fly zones... etc.

Why the assumption of [general] public hate???
None of the folks I have met while flying were hostile or indicated any hate.

Folks complain about the media hype yet seem to follow right along as well in believing it.

As far as jailbreak, hack, etc. I too am in the camp that much worse will follow as the NAS will not be 'pirated' or otherwise compromised by Chinese toy flying cameras.

can we keep on topic and not fear mongering? there are UAV's with no restrictions already.. you can build your own. there is no ban or freedom stealing by the gov. going with those. so everyone just relax. this is more about DJI acting as the NFZ police so they can cover their corporate asses if anything happens at our expense.

Think about it along these lines. if you went out and purchased a $50,000 car and a month later, they sent you a notice in the mail saying you had to bring it in for warranty work.
and while you did that, they work they performed, prevented you from driving places, governed your speed and reported all your movements to 3rd party. would you be okay with that?
would you run to the forums and say don't try to stop them or else the gov. make take our driving privileges away?
I think most of the populous would stand up and say BS...

with that said, I do have some dev. skills and a bank account.
so i'm up for helping in what ever way i can.

Reactions: hot dog

Main features:
1. No GEO/NFZ
2. FCC mode enabled

Count me in, i would like to contribute by time, skills and money.

1. What features you would like to see. Keep it realistic.
2. Donating an amount of money to support the effort.
3. Registering interest in the technical effort to explore the firmware and identifying ways to make potential changes.
4. Technical observations, ideas for exploring the firmware, data, etc.

I am building a list. If you are offering to contribute, I will contact you via PM.

Where and how the development effort is done is still open for discussion. If you have been invited to a private forum on another site, you can sign up there if you like but it was set up without consultation and it is premature and superfluous.

If you are concerned about DJI getting all worked up about this thread, don't be. There are numerous reverse engineering threads on the P1, P2, A2, and other DJI platforms that have been around for years and they're wide open. I've actively worked on dissecting the CAN bus protocol on a public thread on rcgroups for over a year. DJI has done nothing about any of these. I don't expect this to be any different.

Once we get some critical mass, we can take this to a more suitable place with some access controls and potentially use tools like Asana and Slack as was previously suggested. If you have concerns or suggestions, feel free to share them.

Main features:
1. Option to exceed the 500m ascent and 200m descent restrictions while remaining 400 feet AGL in mountainous terrain. The 200m descent restriction is especially onerous, as flying from mountaintop is the best way to maintain clear LOS for control over a large valley area below in every direction, from one launch location.
2. Ability to override GEO/NFZ where inappropriate
3. Full pilot control over ability to launch and fly wherever necessary
4. Full rollback ability to any prior firmware
5. Ability to change Critical Battery Autoland value to between 0 and 10%, instead of the current 10% minimum.
6. Make sure battery never shuts off under any critical battery protection algorithm while the aircraft is still in the air, regardless of temperature.

I'll help in any way I can.

I'm willing to donate in support of options to remove FW distance/height/area restrictions (physical barometer hack is not ideal). Please add me to any support list.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I've set up a closed sub-forum for the technical discussion. It's under the P3 section called P3 Firmware Development. So far, I have included:

@Shammyh
@Muva Bee
@Apilot101
@nozza87
@DiluxEdition
@WetDog
@kandelin16
@P3P Canada
@andrew_by
@revnja

Forgive me if I have missed you. Let me know if you want in. Remember, it's technical. The funding we will continue to manage in this thread. I'll be in touch soon on that.

And again, if you've been invited to another site to discuss it, you should disregard that and use this.

For those that have pledged to support financially, I will be in touch soon.

Devs, supporters, etc. keep your offers coming!

Main features:
1. Option to exceed the 500m ascent and 200m descent restrictions while remaining 400 feet AGL in mountainous terrain. The 200m descent restriction is especially onerous, as flying from mountaintop is the best way to maintain clear LOS for control over a large valley area below in every direction, from one launch location.
2. Ability to override GEO/NFZ where inappropriate
3. Full pilot control over ability to launch and fly wherever necessary
4. Full rollback ability to any prior firmware
5. Ability to change Critical Battery Autoland value to between 0 and 10%, instead of the current 10% minimum.
6. Make sure battery never shuts off under any critical battery protection algorithm while the aircraft is still in the air, regardless of temperature.

I'll help in any way I can.
I especially think number 6 is great!

I've set up a closed sub-forum for the technical discussion. It's under the P3 section called P3 Firmware Development. So far, I have included:

@Shammyh
@Muva Bee
@Apilot101
@nozza87
@DiluxEdition
@WetDog
@kandelin16
@P3P Canada
@andrew_by
@revnja

Forgive me if I have missed you. Let me know if you want in. Remember, it's technical. The funding we will continue to manage in this thread. I'll be in touch soon on that.

And again, if you've been invited to another site to discuss it, you should disregard that and use this.

Count me in. I have been involved in a few ...should I say hacking of certain tv cards...lol
Also I would be willing to help financially as well.

Count me in. I have been involved in a few ...should I say hacking of certain tv cards...lol
Also I would be willing to help financially as well.
LOL I remember those days. Unloopers, H and HU Cards. Football Cards and the latest were the card emulation on the pc. Good times.

I'm good at soldering, flashing chips and many other things. So if any of that is needed keep me in the loop.

My preference on firmware features is:
Unlock all restrictions and being able to relock either by re flashing firmware or via USB interface or best way via remote/app.

@Shammyh
@Muva Bee
@Apilot101
@nozza87
@DiluxEdition
@WetDog
@kandelin16
@P3P Canada
@andrew_by
@revnja

+1 to financial and technical contribution. Please add me to technical sub-forum.

You have to unlock the bootloader which no one has done yet. If that could be done, modifications to configuration, etc. could be done e.g. turning GEO off.

I would like to see if someone could unpack the bin files and see if they can make sense of them.
or you can swap out the flight controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT