Crashes

Reaction score
I read about so many people crashing their drones. Is this because they take chances or malfunctions or what?
It just seems there are so many!
Curious!

I read about so many people crashing their drones. Is this because they take chances or malfunctions or what?
Curious!

Taking off when there was a magnetic Interference error at the beginning of the flights leads to the drone going out of GPS and into Atti Mode:

Atti mode requires some real pilot skills to get the drone back.
When the pilot cannot get it back it is known as a fly away.

The Phantoms have weak link in the Battery being a bit loose in the upper right hand corner , and many people forget to firmly lock it in. Thus just a little rough flying and the battery disconnects and the drone fall out of the sky.

Than you have the Props coming off when hitting small branches or leaves causing the drone to drop out of the sky, if you can avoid any of these pit falls you are way ahead of most.

We created the Phantom Rain Wet Suits which among making the drone more water resistant, locked in the props and the battery, making for a more secure flight.

phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

I talk about it in this video:

locked in the props
Just out of curiosity, how does the suit effect the props? Motor seals maybe, but I personally cant see any relation to the props. Can you give a brief explanation of that for the curious?

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
Just out of curiosity, how does the suit effect the props? Motor seals maybe, but I personally cant see any relation to the props. Can you give a brief explanation of that for the curious?

The Neoprene Covers are 1.5 mm thick on the Props to get them to hold the props on tighter, we used the same concept on the Mavic 2 where the props came off if you just blew on them.

Being that so many Drones hit leaves and small twigs , keeping the props from falling off so easy seemed to be the advantage of the Prop Covers.

As far as we have tested , the prop covers have not changed anything in regards to how the drone flys and we have not had anymore drones drop out of the sky from hitting surrounding branches on the front deck.

So the prop covers change the compression on the props making them more secure.

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 5.46.58 PM.png

Thank you ...

Last edited:
So the prop covers change the compression on the props making them more secure.
Interesting. I would personally be a bit wary of that however. Again, just my opinion. By sealing that area, you prevent full airflow through the motors, thus causing them to run a bit warmer than normal, potentially causing an overheated motor. The motors are naturally open top and bottom for non restrictive airflow. In cold weather, this may or may not be an issue, but in the heat of the summer, I would be skeptical. It would be nice to see some relavent temp data in that regard to insure that the motors are running at an appropriate temp.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
The Phantom Wet Suits have been out almost 2 years now, and we have never got any notice from clients that there drone was overheating in any way.

Being in Ohio we dont get a chance for Extreme Hot Weather but whtat we do get is a lot of Rain.

So in 2017 we flew down to Tennessee for the the Totality Eclipse and 98 F weather and flew the Phantom 4 Pro with the Wet Suit as often as we could that day,

We took Motor temps: 120 F and battery temps 110 F and this was back to back flying for the motors. The Entire day was very uneventful as far as the Phantom 4 Wet Suit was concerned.

Despite all the flying we did: We never got any warnings , after that we found that whatever added heat came from 1.5 mm prop covers was not enough to be concerned with.

I cannot say that same for the Canon Camera Lens we used as it got warped and the Footage was a total loss.

Once we realized the Canon Camera had melted we sent the Phantom 4 up one more time and barely captured the Eclipse.,

After that I flew the Phantom back and fourth over the Smoke house , just to see what might show up on the controller but nothing did.

No smoke detector on the Phantom, lol

This is all we got from our efforts"

If ever we do have some nice 120 F weather, I also would like to have those temps as well documented , but we have clients all over the world and they keep us posted.

Last edited:
Excuse me, but how does a Canon camera lens get warped? I've had dozens, in all kinds of weather, and never saw a warped one in my bag or anyone else's I know of (lots of Canon users).

Excuse me, but how does a Canon camera lens get warped? I've had dozens, in all kinds of weather, and never saw a warped one in my bag or anyone else's I know of (lots of Canon users).

Pointing it at the sun all day on a TriPod waiting for the eclipse without a filter the inside of the camera started to melt we were using a 400mm lens , Solar power is real.

We took Motor temps: 120 F and battery temps 110 F and this was back to back flying for the motors.
Another inquiry. How did you take the motor temps? Obviously the internal temps are impossible to monitor. Were these done on the exterior or interior or the aircraft frame itself? Thermocouples? Or what method? Sorry for being so inquisitive, but I have done extensive thermal testing on various items over the years, primarily in temp chambers which can identically mimic real world conditions. ( Temp, Humidy, BP, etc..etc.. ) There are variations between external and internal which at times need to be calculated as opposed to measured. Just wondered how you came to the conclusions as stated. I realize that you most likely do not have the assetts for such extended testing, but it is interesting to know the methods used to determine the measurements. Again, I am just being curious...

I find it beyond belief that someone using a DSLR or any higher end consumer or professional camera would actually aim it directly into the sun, remain there for hours, and not think that "hey maybe this is not a good idea?" Too many ways to describe such a person but I won't go there now.

I fly a pair of P4Pro (sometimes several times a day), no issues so far.

- I always use a flight battery that's full
- I always check that the battery is properly in place
- I always check the wind higher up by dropping into ATTI mode briefly
- I never ignore warning messages - never 'assume' it will be OK, land ASAP and check what's up
- I balance my props

Curious!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94