Crash today, weird gimbal problem

Reaction score
Today I had a prop come off at about 60 feet, and the P2V+ landed in a farm field. The damage was surprisingly minimal. The bottom shell is bent out at one of the motors. The top shell just has a tiny crack in that same spot. One motor is seized, and one or probably two ESC's need replacing. The gimbal yaw arm is bent, and the gimbal will probably need more work than just replacing that arm.

The first thing I tested was the wifi module, by taking a spare cable and running it from the module to the CAM port. I got telemetry data. I took the Phantom outside, and got satellites, so the GPS module is working. Later, inside the house I got 9 satellites.

The four-wire connector from the body to the left side of the gimbal was detached. I pulled it out, checked the pins, and was able to seat them just fine. I took a spare gimbal/camera that I have and know works, and attached it. I got video and telemetry. The motors didn't move, but instead it just made the usual beeping/buzzing sound. I checked my connections, checked connectivity for all three gimbal cables, and everything was fine. I replaced the flight control module with one I know works, but that didn't change anything. I tried two receiver boards I know work, and neither made a difference. I triple-checked my connections with the four-wire connector to make sure they weren't loose or broken.

I checked the resistance from the six-wire-into-eight connector on the gimbal, going all the way back to the Zen Meusse port next to the CAM port. There were no breaks in any wires.

I took the gimbal from the crash and connected it. I got some movement, but got the buzzing with that, too. I also got video and telemetry.

I can't see any damage other than what I've mentioned.

To the best of my knowledge, the wifi module has nothing to do with gimbal motors. Am I right? If that's not it, the only thing I can think of is that there's a problem with the main board and the connection for the eight-wire connector.

Any other ideas as to what might cause this?

Thanks for any replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20