Crash - Repair ribbon cable

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just had my first, and hopefully last crash with my P3P. Nothing too remarkable, just happened to fly it full speed barkwards into the top of a tree and then watched it drop about 40 ft.

So far the only damage I can see is a broken mounting plate in one place, that I'm hoping can be fixed with some Krazy glue and a disconnected ribbon cable from the main body of the phantom to the gimbal/camera unit.

My question is regarding the ribbon cable. The cable leads pulled out of the connector which stayed clicked into the top of the gimbal/camera unit. Is it possible to reinsert these leads? Do I need to solder them? And also the leads may have gotten twisted or maybe they are intended to overlap by design, I don't know. Can anyone tell me if they go back into the connector straight across, or do some overlap others?

Thanks for any help in advance.

IMG_0033.JPG

they go back in order-- I have a couple of mine come loose when I pulled the gimbal off to do some repairs. I just pushed them back in and the gimbal and camera work fine.

Also crashed today, totally severing the tiny gimbal arm & micro ribbon cable.

Rule #16 - Never fly within 10 ft of a large Willow tree! A gust of wind blew a long strand of willow horizontal just as I was passing. Was like someone threw a 10 ft piece of twine into the props. You can guess the rest. Photos attached of the gimbal & (former) ribbon cable.

Attachments

• Gimbal-Damage.jpg
    Gimbal-Damage.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,618
  • Gimbal-Damage2.jpg
    Gimbal-Damage2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 683
  • Gimbal-Damage3.jpg
    Gimbal-Damage3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 617
Reactions: richardtomcat

Rule #16 - Never fly within 10 ft of a large Willow tree! A gust of wind blew a long strand of willow horizontal just as I was passing. Was like someone threw a 10 ft piece of twine into the props. You can guess the rest. Photos attached of the gimbal & (former) ribbon cable.
Looks like the tree had a hammer:eek:

Hehe; na, just the plain ole' lawn behind the house!
Tragically amazing what a vertical drop from 40' up will do to that gimbal :eek:

Hi Guys,

I just had my first, and hopefully last crash with my P3P. Nothing too remarkable, just happened to fly it full speed barkwards into the top of a tree and then watched it drop about 40 ft.

So far the only damage I can see is a broken mounting plate in one place, that I'm hoping can be fixed with some Krazy glue and a disconnected ribbon cable from the main body of the phantom to the gimbal/camera unit.

My question is regarding the ribbon cable. The cable leads pulled out of the connector which stayed clicked into the top of the gimbal/camera unit. Is it possible to reinsert these leads? Do I need to solder them? And also the leads may have gotten twisted or maybe they are intended to overlap by design, I don't know. Can anyone tell me if they go back into the connector straight across, or do some overlap others?

Thanks for any help in advance.

View attachment 21899

insert them back in the same order. If white clip has cracked, then insert pins and use hot glue gun to hold in place.

Ouch!! What's the verdict? You repair it yet? You going to?

josh

Would the gimbal saver have helped? I'm wondering if I should get one to minimize breaks like this

no, the gimbal saver only helps protect the gimbal at its pivot point.. I do have one on my P3 and it does give an added measure of protection. There have been reports where the gimbal arm separated in "minor crashes" and a gimbal saver may prevent this.

I got same problem Dude... i found the cable and the Gimbal Yaw arm ... idk if works

My P3P is checked into the "queue" as of today at DJI-California for repair.

Just installed a new yaw arm (that's what you broke) and cable.

Hello, I had 2 days ago an accident with tree also. Planning to buy a new gimbal from dji, but what about those cables? Cause one small peace is broken. Where I can find that white peace? Please help, cause in my country nobody sells.

Attachments

• 12825341_10156689333475145_1606073688_n.jpg
    12825341_10156689333475145_1606073688_n.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 423

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers