Crash Diagnosis Thread

Well I sure understand why you are upset! They should still be able to back up what they are saying, regardless if they are right or wrong!

I mean where does the wind even come into play with the data set you gave them?
It doesn't. Not one iota. this is why the sheer frustration. Maybe they figured I'd go away after getting some half-*** explanation? Not sure. If your warranty policy is to not honor any claims, fine. Just say that. Don't lie to my face and expect me to go away happy.

Jnnyr, how did DJI come to the conclusion your P3 crashed because of high winds?

It's obvious from the .txt file which I assume they had, there were system problems, so it doesn't make sense how they concluded high winds crashed you? Just curious as something seems missing.

Oh i'm under no illusions about DJI and their intelligence, despite having the incident logs which obviously show the date and time on them they still emailed me 3 times asking for the date of the incident, I kept replying but apparently that wasnt good enough as they wanted the date adding to the little xml file incident report they send you! The other screw ups and contradictions i had from DJI Europe throughout my 3 month nightmare with them were just plain idiocy!

@Jnnyr I think your P3 is here
upload_2016-8-22_19-11-8.png

That's coordinates 43.67295, -72.791569
The multiple paths at the very end is due to the inaccuracy of GPS.

Last edited:
Let me ask you this Frank, Without access to the DAT file and just based solely on the flight log would you agree wind had zero to do with this crash? And would you also agree this drone experienced serious failure?

This crash is fault of firmware recently updated in either the smart battery, or aircraft. The wind had nothing to do with this failure.

Btw, I just noticed your R/C apparently has not been calibrated since adding a update. No this is not crash related.

Don't know the answer to that. It's computed by the P3 and has a range of [0, 5] with 5 being the best. 4 is marginal. Anytime it's 3 or below the P3 will drop into ATTI and have trouble navigating.

I'm not a GPS expert but in addition to number of satellites there are other factors that will influence accuracy. HDOP (Horizontal dilution of precision) and VDOP (vertical dilution of precision) are some of those factors.

It's been awhile but, I have seen where this "OSD.gpsLevel" has been as high as 10. I'm not sure, but I think it came up in a situation where the gps signal had been lost.

It's been awhile but, I have seen where this "OSD.gpsLevel" has been as high as 10. I'm not sure, but I think it came up in a situation where the gps signal had been lost.
You guys have all been so helpful. Thanks again for all your input. I wish DJI were half as such. I will try again. I have 35 emails so far, about 7 chat sessions, and 2 phone calls.

No, I'm fine with this. In fact, it's the analysis bit that interests me the most. @BudWalker and @Luap et al's analyses are one of the reasons I frequent these forums.
Agreed. Always fascinating to learn about the technical side of this hobby. All things aside, the concept that we can pilot a uav is pretty remarkable.

Reactions: happydays
@Jnnyr I think your P3 is here
View attachment 62922
That's coordinates 43.67295, -72.791569
The multiple paths at the very end is due to the inaccuracy of GPS.

I also believe the aircraft is at that same location. Based on Gimbal Yaw, Roll, and Pitch behavior at their end does not look like the aircraft flew any further.

I also believe the aircraft is at that same location. Based on Gimbal Yaw, Roll, and Pitch behavior at their end does not look like the aircraft flew any further.
If I can I will try to get to it however it is a rather dense forest and probably impossible to bushwack to it.
Thanks for the help.

My impression of DJI isn't so negative. Analyzing a lot of flights I sometimes get to know the final disposition. Usually, DJI is better than this. I think that it depends on who you talk to a DJI. If I were you I'd keep at them. Try to talk to someone different, i.e. go around the person you were talking to. It should be easy to get to a point where it's clear it wasn't wind and was the gpsHealth issue I described.

The problem that you'll have is that a low gpsHealth could be due to factors unrelated to the P3 hardware. I'd argue that the fact it abruptly dropped to 0 and then never recovered makes it more likely the problem was on the P3.
Ok Bud...so I took your advice armed with your sage wisdom and called one more time (only 30 minutes this time), and they took a look one more time at the flight log I uploaded a month ago and now they are doing a reversal saying they will completely honor the warranty. I am suspicious and nothing has happened yet, but if it does I owe you (and some others) a drink.

Reactions: RockinRog
If I can I will try to get to it however it is a rather dense forest and probably impossible to bushwack to it.
Thanks for the help.

If you have any plans at all of flying again over that kind of terrain, you seriously need to invest into a decent GPS Tracker.

Thank you very much for that clarification. I find it odd that those numbers aren't on the motor some where. Did you know it was CCW by the black dot in the center of the spindle ?

Are you trying to trick me ? lol I believe the black dots are on the CW Motors :)

Are you trying to trick me ? lol I believe the black dots are on the CW Motors :)
No, not at all. It's the only motor that's visually PHYSICALLY damaged from a pretty heavy crash. It's the only motor I've removed from the carcas so far. I need to know which motor to order so I can continue with what's going to be a MAJOR repair process. I was hoping the numbers in the picture would indicate exactly which one it is. Apparently that isn't the case ?

If you have any plans at all of flying again over that kind of terrain, you seriously need to invest into a decent GPS Tracker.
I have one on it's way. Thanks for the advice. I did look into them but didn't want it to be cell based.

Ok Bud...so I took your advice armed with your sage wisdom and called one more time (only 30 minutes this time), and they took a look one more time at the flight log I uploaded a month ago and now they are doing a reversal saying they will completely honor the warranty. I am suspicious and nothing has happened yet, but if it does I owe you (and some others) a drink.
Update...........So far nothing. No email with a coupon, no change to the ticket that they said would happen in minutes. So far DJI acting like DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1