Crack after update - warranty expired day of...

That is your middle shell $30, the lower shell is the gray part with camera, top shell is the one with all the stuff, there are 2 nice videos on youtube about dissassembly, I hit a tree branch and replaced leg, middle shell, it was fairly easy, just pay close attention to videos and it is EZPZ, I got middle shell and legs, and repaired it perfectly, took bout 3hrs as I took my time, all done within 10days of accident, cost total 110$ with new electronic screwdriver kit and soddering Iron(didn't use it, just nice to have easy to use), get to know the parts of your P4P, can be totally assembled from parts ordered online, gives you confidence, nice drone. Heres some pics of repair. It flys perfect, lucky camera wasn't damaged $$$$, one of my compasses doesn't work so I ordered a power interface module($40) and may replace it, thats ware the 2 wires from L/R compasses in legs plug into as well as the 4 L/R main power wires from battery to motors (thus the sodder iron), but really don't have to replace as compasses are just redundant(backups) and flies fine with one, good luck, God bless

Attachments

• 20170508_114944.jpg
    20170508_114944.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 242
  • 20170508_115007.jpg
    20170508_115007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 243
  • 20170521_192933.jpg
    20170521_192933.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 224
Ah.. Lol I didn't see that post, it went straight to the post below it. Replacing the lower shell seems a little past my expertise.. I did downgrade right after I saw the crack and stopped flying but I am now going crazy lol. I love flying and taking pictures with it.. I will update soon!

Sorry, I just updated the firmware of my P4P...did I miss anything about the cracking being related to a firmware update?

Had the same problem, shipped to DJI just so they tell me it was my fault, and had to pay to get my drone back.. To me its a trash company... I no longer buy their products...

You can balance the props like this:

Here are a few prop balancers that include prop balancing rods that fit P4 props:
I’m surprised the addition of tape to the airfoil doesn’t throw off the aerodynamics and lift on one side of the prop. I would think that would create an unbalanced force. No?

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
PLUS...a Un balanced prop OR props.......put excessive strains on the tiny bearings of the motors....you ever hit something with a push lawn mower and see how it runns with a Un Balanced blade !....it wont even get back to normal Rpm...and If it runns that way......it will eventually crack the mower base and the engine will be trashed !....you do balance your car tires don't you !......i don't think a new drone owner knows that the props should be replaced after a scratches on the blades after a terrible landing....leading to early cracks in the engine pods and very unhappy owners !

So I had the wobble crack thing happen to my P4P.. I have asked for help in the DJI forums but no one seems to really say much.. My question is, is this still safe to fly and is there an easy way to fix/mend without compromising much.

I really don't want to send it in and pay out 200-300 for a repair to something that should not have happened in the first place..

My Phantom has never been treated rough.. My mind is blown right now..

This seems like a QAQC issue to me. I would DJI for an answer and perhaps resolution. They warranted my Phantom 1 when a prop spun off mid flight. It was a P1 I purchased on eBay. So they CAN concede. You just have to push a bit. I recommend using honey instead of vinegar. That's what I did.

I continue to be amazed how DJI releases bogus firmware updates. Isn't the rationale behind an update to fix glitches vs create new ones? Makes one seriously wonder the extent of testing done before a new release.
DJI products are brilliant when they function properly. For $1,000 one should expect a more durable product and when it's failure is due to poor design (structural or electronic) the company should take responsibility for it.
Rant over

So I had the wobble crack thing happen to my P4P.. I have asked for help in the DJI forums but no one seems to really say much.. My question is, is this still safe to fly and is there an easy way to fix/mend without compromising much.

I really don't want to send it in and pay out 200-300 for a repair to something that should not have happened in the first place..

Mate, I saw a trick using baking soda and super glue. I tried it on a cracked piece of plastic and it will NEVER separate.

Reactions: Badaxed
I continue to be amazed how DJI releases bogus firmware updates. Isn't the rationale behind an update to fix glitches vs create new ones? Makes one seriously wonder the extent of testing done before a new release.
DJI products are brilliant when they function properly. For $1,000 one should expect a more durable product and when it's failure is due to poor design (structural or electronic) the company should take responsibility for it.
Rant over

Yep, 100% correct. A P4P+ is like over $2,000 and you'd expect better, more so if you aren't "going hardcore."

Its weird. My nephew has a P3 which he has flown into trees at full speed (the trunk) and slammed into the ground countless times. Has only had to replace the blades. No body damage apart from a few scars.

I’m surprised the addition of tape to the airfoil doesn’t throw off the aerodynamics and lift on one side of the prop. I would think that would create an unbalanced force. No?
I totally agree. I sand them to balanced state using the finest grain emery type sand paper. and apply polishing compound and/or car wax to finish. A slip stream surface is what you want.

If the crack is not terminated or ended at an edge, you must drill a small hole at its end to stop the stress riser or it will propagate until it hits an end

I had the same but fixed it with super glue and baking soda, check out the video on youtube works perfect and saves you lots of money

I hear a lot of you guys upset over trivial and also semi major problems , but at the end of the day these little drones are pretty bloody awesome , and l mean awesome , they are a breeze to fly , take bloody brilliant photos and videos for what we do pay for them is pretty cheap considering what tech and testing has gone into them , lam a happy camper with my little psA .. and glad l did buy a phantom :)

Reactions: Timinator
I hear a lot of you guys upset over trivial and also semi major problems , but at the end of the day these little drones are pretty bloody awesome , and l mean awesome , they are a breeze to fly , take bloody brilliant photos and videos for what we do pay for them is pretty cheap considering what tech and testing has gone into them , lam a happy camper with my little psA .. and glad l did buy a phantom :)
Indeed. I love my P4P+

I'm just relieved Boeing isn't using DJI's software!

Indeed. I love my P4P+

I'm just relieved Boeing isn't using DJI's software!

Tim l have not had a real issue in over a year of owning 2 phantom , and yes l agree with the boeing thing , but these are not multimillion dollar jets . And they still have there fair share of problems . I have paid thousands over the years for all types of flying machines that have ended up on the shelf in various forms of smashed :)). And lam glad you are having a good experience also ..

Reactions: Timinator
I learn something new everyday from this forum. I also noticed vibration and prop shutter when landing and shutting down but never knew it was a firmware issue. I changed props with no difference and put it down to prop wash bouncing back off the landing pad. Has DJI commented about it at all--especially since it appears to be apparent in at least the last two firmware updates?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl