Controller light went from red and beeping non stop to blue and silent

Reaction score
And now nothing works right.
The drone is powered up and the controller is powered up, they are linked and the software versions are both the same - 1.9.2
The screen shows that they are not connected somehow.
The controller just sits there blue and quiet.

Why do you think the aircraft and controller are connected? A green light indicates they are an yours is blue. What happens when you launch the Go app, does it show they are connected? Have you attempted to relink the aircraft and controller? Where you updating the firmware on the controller at the time?

Why do you think the aircraft and controller are connected? A green light indicates they are an yours is blue. What happens when you launch the Go app, does it show they are connected? Have you attempted to relink the aircraft and controller? Where you updating the firmware on the controller at the time?
Sorry, I said that the screen shows they are not connected. They WERE linked before this whole thing started. I was trying to upgrade the firmware and it would never get past 35% upgrade a then say upgrade failed.
Is there any way to reset the controller to factory specs?

Try relinking the controller. If that does not work, reset the controller. You can Google on how to do this (involves C buttons, etc). You can also try using the Assistant software to upgrade the firmware.

If that does not work, you will need to do one of two things. You could open the controller and disconnect the battery for a short time. It's up to you if you want to try this. It works for some people. I tried it and it did not work. Otherwise you will need to call DJI, have them walk you through trying a few things and then, most likely, end the P4 and controller to DJI so they can replace the controller. This is a common problem.

You can also try using the Assistant software to upgrade the firmware.
As far as I know, the Assistant software is not compatible with the P3 series.

Sorry. Thought this was in the P4 section.
I wondered what the Assistant thing was. Weird thing is I already had the battery out for a totally different reason and that didn't work. Does your other idea involve holding 3 buttons and the scroll wheel at the same time? Tried that too. Thank you for the ideas!!! I am NOT giving up, I really love my P3A!!!!!

Have you tried updating the remote since this happened? I would try using a usb/sd card reader in the back of the remote to see if it takes the update.
Update the latest firmware package files from DJI official web site.
b. Extract all downloaded files into the root directory of an SD card or USB flash drive.
c. Turn off the remote controller, Insert the SD card into a SD card reader or the USB disk onto the remote controller USB port when remote controller is turned off.
d. Power on the remote controller and wait 60 seconds until the upgrade begins. Do not power off the remote controller during the update.
e. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the firmware update. The camera will sound a beeping sound and the Status LED on the remote controller shows solid blue to indicate the update is in progress. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid green and beeping
sound will stop if the upgrade is completed with success.

Reactions: BigAl07
Have you tried updating the remote since this happened? I would try using a usb/sd card reader in the back of the remote to see if it takes the update.
Update the latest firmware package files from DJI official web site.
b. Extract all downloaded files into the root directory of an SD card or USB flash drive.
c. Turn off the remote controller, Insert the SD card into a SD card reader or the USB disk onto the remote controller USB port when remote controller is turned off.
d. Power on the remote controller and wait 60 seconds until the upgrade begins. Do not power off the remote controller during the update.
e. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the firmware update. The camera will sound a beeping sound and the Status LED on the remote controller shows solid blue to indicate the update is in progress. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid green and beeping
sound will stop if the upgrade is completed with success.
Great advice sir, however I am sort of literate around a computer but it is that extract the download to the root file of the sd card thing that gets me.What the hell is a root file? Maybe I can find a YouTube video to explain it!

Great advice sir, however I am sort of literate around a computer but it is that extract the download to the root file of the sd card thing that gets me.What the hell is a root file? Maybe I can find a YouTube video to explain it!

When you download the firmware/update file you will need to extract (un-zip) the file. When you open the file you will see a BIN_file. that BIN file is the file you want to drag and drop into your usb/sd card reader.

The drone is powered up and the controller is powered up, they are linked and the software versions are both the same - 1.9.2

Using a USB stick to update your RC has not been the correct process for quite some time. That process was changed back in Q3 of 2015 after FW 1.3.2. I'd expect that trying it now would not help much since you've noted you have FW v1.9 on your RC already which is the latest available. On the other hand, it wont hurt anything as far as I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Stumpy
Using a USB stick to update your RC has not been the correct process for quite some time. That process was changed back in Q3 of 2015 after FW 1.3.2. I'd expect that trying it now would not help much since you've noted you have FW v1.9 on your RC already which is the latest available. On the other hand, it wont hurt anything as far as I know.
I always thought everything was handles through the DJI GO app. Maybe the app is screwed up but I deleted it and redownloaded it a couple of time already. Maybe because my iPad is a little older the App Store isn't giving me the latest version???

After all this, I have decided that the controller is just plain broken. I now have 2 P3A's with 2 broken controllers. The other one won't charge and the circuit board get really, really hot.
I'm going shopping...................

After all this, I have decided that the controller is just plain broken. I now have 2 P3A's with 2 broken controllers. The other one won't charge and the circuit board get really, really hot.
I'm going shopping...................

You don't feel like asking DJI if they can be repaired for free?

I would, but I got both Phantoms from a 3rd party , so I am pretty sure there is no warranty.

Your choice. It's a phone call or chat.

There is a good chance that DJI knows that their hardware and firmware are creating this issue so it's a product defect issues, not a warranty one. My P4 was about a week out of warranty and they just told me to send it in and repaired it for free.

if they don't repair it, sometimes they will offer a discount on a new drone.

Your choice. It's a phone call or chat.

There is a good chance that DJI knows that their hardware and firmware are creating this issue so it's a product defect issues, not a warranty one. My P4 was about a week out of warranty and they just told me to send it in and repaired it for free.

if they don't repair it, sometimes they will offer a discount on a new drone.

Now THAT is advice I can take to the bank. thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl