Controller help; flashing red and beeping

I found the issue with the controller. I opened the controller and the ribbon cable that connects the main board to the usb board was just laying across the board. Unforunately, the socket and everything has either fallen off the board or someone pulled it off.

I held the connector in the proper position on the board as I powered on the remote and it was nirmal operation. Unfortunately I dont think I will be able to reinstall the connector on the board. So my controller is pretty much useless.

Anyone think that this can be re-installed? Also, the 2 screw mounts at the bottom that hold the back of the controller are slightly cracked. Not to the point of not holding a screw, but who knows how long they will last

Attachments

• B1AEA130-D049-424C-980D-C12FC2EFC57A.jpeg
    B1AEA130-D049-424C-980D-C12FC2EFC57A.jpeg
    715.9 KB · Views: 4,630
  • 41D2CDF8-C133-48A2-9D95-903CDFB6E82E.jpeg
    41D2CDF8-C133-48A2-9D95-903CDFB6E82E.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 4,426
  • 678FCD39-D88F-4065-925A-D999C761B087.jpeg
    678FCD39-D88F-4065-925A-D999C761B087.jpeg
    875.7 KB · Views: 4,452
Can you check if the RC will not boot normally if you push the board at the same place and same force without holding the connector?

Pads are broken, so it is very unlikely that holding it in place made contact.

Skilled technician could glue the connector nearby and solder wires to the remainings of pads; but considering the amount of work this requires, you should better look for another RC.

Yip with you on that @quaddamage ,no wonder it was confusing,,someone would have know that was like that,like previous owner (could have told you), it's missing entire mount where ribbon cable plugs and locks in place ,,start looking for another good remote,,,at least you know what going on now,,good luck and post a update when flying;)

Thanks for the info. I will start looking for another RC soon.

Are the parts on the gl300 series interchangeable between models?

If I found a main board from a gl300a, would it work in a gl300c? Would an antenna from a gl300c work as a replacement in a gl300a?

I think only Main Board and Interface Board needs to be from the same model.
Using naming convention from here:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

Or at least Interface Board from GL300 b or c will not work with GL300a Main Board. For other combinations - not checked them all, but they'll probably work.

Ok I am theowing in the towel and searching for a new controller. From my understanding, the gl300a, gl300b, and gl300c are compatible with the P3 advanced and pro.

I have found a used gl300c listed as a P4 controller. If the gl300c has previously been used on a P4, can I utilize the same controller on my P3 pro?

I have found a used gl300c listed as a P4 controller. If the gl300c has previously been used on a P4, can I utilize the same controller on my P3 pro?
Just be sure the GL300C came from a P4 and not from a P4A.
If it came from a P4A, it would be GL300C Ver.B and not compatible with the P3.

GL300C VerB label.jpg

Here is a Controller Compatibility Chart that I first put together in April 2018.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. Just wanted to ensure it doesn’t matter if its been used on a P4. Heres the one Im considering. Looks to be compatible.

I wasnt sure if once it was used for a P4, if the firmware for the P3 could be loaded etc. Or is the firmware the same for both?

Attachments

• 904BC2F8-411F-43E7-9D3E-AC15AD371FD5.png
    904BC2F8-411F-43E7-9D3E-AC15AD371FD5.png
    1 MB · Views: 4,277
So in my seach for a RC, I have come across a gl300c for what I consider to be cheap. It connects the the aircraft and flies it, but will only charge halfway.

What are the chances of this controller being fixed by reflowing the board? I have read other fixing battery issues bu doing so.

Or should I stay away from this one and purchase a fully operable controller?

Yip with you on that @quaddamage ,no wonder it was confusing,,someone would have know that was like that,like previous owner (could have told you), it's missing entire mount where ribbon cable plugs and locks in place ,,start looking for another good remote,,,at least you know what going on now,,good luck and post a update when flying;)

Ok so I found a new remote. (gl300a). I can bind the remote to the AC, but I still cant connect to the app.

Keep in mind, I have been piecing this whole setup together a little at a time....this was not a package deal.

Unsure what is going on.

The next thing to check is if you can start motors and fly using the remote.

I cant start the motors, but I can control the gimbal. my controller light is alternating red/green. It was a solid green until I reset the controller and relinked. Tried re-linking multiple times....still red/green.

I've heard people describing various different issues like that. Does the app autostart when connected? Can you see telemetry?

No, nothing autostarts when connected. I have tried with my samsung galaxy s7 and ipad mini4. I cant see anything. My s7 says charging when connected. I tried holding down the 3 bar menu in the upper right for 10sec or so to see if it would show fw version, but it just shows as disconnected

Fix no video feed / black screen / no image transmission / no FPV on Ph3 Pro[/URL]

I will give that a shot thanks.

I also have a feeling that part of the issue is a firmware mismatch between controller and aircraft, but without being able to access the app I can see current versions. Also I tried upgrading to current firmware on AC and it failed. Also tried installing 1.3.2 and it failed. Maybe the gimbal board wont allow the update? Im not sure. I’d like to try another gimbal board just for loading fw.

I cant start the motors, but I can control the gimbal.

That would mean the issue with mobile device is not the only problem. You'd have to read DAT flight logs to diagnose this, but I'm not sure if you can do this without mobile device. Last time I checked "comm_og_service_tool" had no capability of switching the drone into flight logs mode. Maybe other tools can. With a working mobile device, there's an option to enter "flight logs mode" in the config menus.

my controller light is alternating red/green. It was a solid green until I reset the controller and relinked.

I don't really know what this indicates. Probably RC issue.

No, nothing autostarts when connected. I have tried with my samsung galaxy s7 and ipad mini4. [...] it just shows as disconnected

That would mean the USB Board in RC is not working; in GL300a, it is always caused by DaVinci firmware. You will probably have to re-flash it manually. Everything is explained in the post with diagnosis graph.

Last edited:
That would mean the issue with mobile device is not the only problem. You'd have to read DAT flight logs to diagnose this, but I'm not sure if you can do this without mobile device. Last time I checked "comm_og_service_tool" had no capability of switching the drone into flight logs mode. Maybe other tools can. With a working mobile device, there's an option to enter "flight logs mode" in the config menus.

What is the "comm_og_service_tool" and what can it do?

I don't really know what this indicates. Probably RC issue.

From doing some research since my last post, I believe it is a firmware issue

That would mean the USB Board in RC is not working; in GL300a, it is always caused by HaVinci firmware. You will probably have to re-flash it manually. Everything is explained in the post with diagnosis graph.

Thanks I will take a look at that. I did try to load firmware using a usb thumb drive and that didn’t work. Hopefully something in that post will get me a little closer.

I don’t know for sure, but I’d like to somehow get the firmware loaded and matched so I can at least rule that out as a potential issue.

Thanks. Question about the manual flashing though.

Would the reflashing of the nand chip resolve the issue of firmware not loading?

I understand about the no live video issue, but at the moment I want to focus on installing the firmware and getting connected to the app. If this is all because of the same root cause, then I will go about it this way, but if not I want to focus on firmware and app connectivity first.

From what I have been seeing, even with the bad nand chip....other members were still connecting to the app. I cant really tackle the aspect of no live video until the rest of the drone is functional.

Do you have any advice for loading firmware? Is there a way to force it or somehow get it installed?

Thanks and please let me know if my way of going about this is incorrect, but I figured I should get everything else working first if possible.

Would the reflashing of the nand chip resolve the issue of firmware not loading?

Don't know, is it even damaged? Shouldn't you first diagnose the issue? Are you sure we're talking about the same chip?

I understand about the no live video issue, but at the moment I want to focus on installing the firmware and getting connected to the app.

That's not a bad idea. Fix the RC.

From what I have been seeing, even with the bad nand chip....other members were still connecting to the app.

No. I mean depends. We're talking about DaVinci chip in GL300a RC.

Do you have any advice for loading firmware? Is there a way to force it or somehow get it installed?

Firmware can be updated in both AC and RC. Assuming RC - the only way is through mobile app. The old sd-card way was disabled long ago, and via serial interfaces - we only tried updating DaVinci. Probably every module within RC has its programming interface somewhere, just noone shared the way to use them. I only tried DaVinci.

Oh yeah, in case you don't know - firmware consists of several modules, for each programmable part within the device. You can extract the firmwares for single modules using dji-service-tools. DaVinci is a module within Gimbal Top Board, but in GL300a it was also used in RC Interface Board.
More info on that:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

Don't know, is it even damaged? Shouldn't you first diagnose the issue? Are you sure we're talking about the same chip?

Nope, we weren’t. I had mistakenly been reading through the thread re: the nand chip in the gimbal board. I thought that is what you were referring to. I will have to find the thread re: the RC and davinci chip.

Firmware can be updated in both AC and RC. Assuming RC - the only way is through mobile app. The old sd-card way was disabled long ago, and via serial interfaces - we only tried updating DaVinci. Probably every module within RC has its programming interface somewhere, just noone shared the way to use them. I only tried DaVinci.

okay, didnt realize the usb stick wouldn’t work any longer. I’ll look into the davinci you are referring to

Oh yeah, in case you don't know - firmware consists of several modules, for each programmable part within the device. You can extract the firmwares for single modules using dji-service-tools. DaVinci is a module within Gimbal Top Board, but in GL300a it was also used in RC Interface Board.
More info on that:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

Thanks, had no idea. Still very new to the phantom series. Where can I access or download the dji service tools? I see the referenced links describing them; Are they available for download there?

Sorry for so many questions. Everything here is new to me. Just trying to figure things out

Where can I access or download the dji service tools? I see the referenced links describing them; Are they available for download there?

I'm using git for that:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/o-gs/dji-firmware-tools.git

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT