Fly-Safe airport choice

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I have to fly at the intersection of two blue airport zones on the Fly-safe web sight, one Class C and one Class D. I have the FAA Authorization and technically, the Class C airport makes the decisions.
Am I going to have trouble with the Phantom recognizing the other airport and refusing to fly? Will the Fly-safe database accept one airport for the other's area? Since I can't have two unlocks active at the same time, I would think one unlock would suffice, but I have a limited amount of time on the authorization to futz with it after I get onsite.

Thanks in advance.

Good question. I have not run into this type of situation. I would suggest contacting DJI via their chat to see if you can get an answer.

Reactions: Kyle1980
Hope you had a safe flight. I would assume the Class C unlock would be the overriding approval for the grid block, but can you report back your experiences with your flight?

Mask up and fly safe.

I flew it, but I still don't understand the rules. I had both areas unlocked and uploaded to the UAV, but according to their documentation, only one could be active at a time. I took off with the class C one activated. At about 25 feet, I got a no-fly zone warning and the app said, "landing". The craft dropped down to about 4 inches off the ground, but didn't touch down. I went in and activated the other one which, as far as I can tell, inactivated the first one and rose up to a height limited (by DJI) 200 feet (I had FAA authorization to 250). After flying in an orbit about 100 yards away, I raised it to 250 and continued like that the rest of the flight, yes back into the "height limited" area.

It seems like a weird way to operate. We are going through a lot of crap and giving up a lot of safety so DJI can feel like their liability is low...without increasing the safety of the airspace at all. Anyone, willing to go through their online process, can get an unlock, whether they can legally or not. It adds a layer of painful inconvenience, not safety for the airspace.

That auto-land was probably the most dangerous and thoughtless "design feature" I've ever seen with a drone. It had no idea if it was coming down on a powerline, a car, an animal or a human being. It was not over the spot I took off from and I could only imagine it trying to land in something like a baby carriage going by. Since I had no control of the craft for a good 25 seconds, I wouldn't have been able to stop it.

I have a potential of a good "mapping" mission this week, but being in one of DJI's red zones, I guess I just won't be able to do it. Their documentation says the unlock for those, turns off any automated features and you have to fly it manually. I'm not going to take the job. Thanks DJI!

Reactions: MTO
Yesterday I flew in an authorization zone, had to unlock the drone, but still couldn’t fly into an area where I had laanc approval up to 150 feet because it was red only on the dji map. When I approached the area, it was like hitting a wall, simply couldn’t go any further. At least it didn’t land on the spot!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan