conflicted: Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

Anyone who says they don't need Litchi...hasn't flown with Litchi. If you bought your drone just to "fly around" then you really overpaid for a drone with unreal capabilities and technology that 3rd party apps like Litchi take full advantage of.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I could not agree more! If you have not tried Litchi, you are getting only half the bang for you buck!

I could not agree more! If you have not tried Litchi, you are getting only half the bang for you buck!
Have never flown so certainly don't know the DJI GO app but what would Lichi do for me if I'm mostly going to use the drone for still photography. Still trying to decide between the 4 and plus version so this would definitely help with my decision.
Best... Steve

Thanks a lot for the info, its a pity that I cannot use the +, I'll have to buy a HDMI module...
Msinger did not answer your question. I did. You CAN use the larger CrysalSky with the P4P+, just as I described above in my response to you. Do not be misled!

Msinger did not answer your question. I did. You CAN use the larger CrysalSky with the P4P+, just as I described above in my response to you. Do not be misled!
You're suggesting something that is not practical. Nobody wants to tape a monitor on top of another monitor. Not even you would do that.

I'm going to go for one without a display, I cannot stand android, it's buggy, glitchy, weak etc I'm going to stick with iOS my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Do not overlook that the Android version running on the built-in screen was written specifically by DJI for this hardware, instead of a generic version that must run on all types of hardware. Huge difference!

If you can plug in another device/monitor into the USB port on the P4P+ and temporarily override the built-in display then why can't that device run Litchi, etc.? It might not be the most elegant of solutions but would work for someone who only occasionally uses 3rd party apps.

Where did you get indication that P4P+ controllers are backward compatible with P4 and P3P/A? That doesn't sound right since P4P supports 5.8Ghz and the older models don't.

No indication. We are in the year 2016 and DJI has not really changed the controller much since 2015. We are at the stage now where DJI is using firmware (software) to assist with communication (i.e., occusync). Simple production methods entail ensuring a controller is backwards & forwards compatible or else you'll be building different controllers until the cows come home. The CrystalSky supports backwards compatibility & forward compatibility and since the P4P+ appears by all accounts to be a watered down CrystalSky controller, it should have the capability to work with other DJI drones either naturally or via a firmware update (depends what DJI wishes to allow).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You're suggesting something that is not practical. Nobody wants to tape a monitor on top of another monitor. Not even you would do that.
He told you what he wanted to do, and asked if it was possible. It is possible, even though you deem it impractical. And, yes, I plan to tape my 7.9" iPad Mini 4 on top of the built in 5.5" screen, if I am not happy with the FREE built-in screen. The smooth 5.5" surface will provide a perfect mounting surface for the slightly larger iPad Mini 4. Gaffers tape is a simple DIY solution. More elegant solutions will surely be available later, much like the iPad Mini adapters mounts for the Mavic controller. One permanent possibility would include removing the built-in screen mount and replacing it with a standard mount from any other controller, just like most P3P owners replaced their plastic tablet mount with the metal Inspire tablet holder. You need to think outside the box. None of these answers are as black and white as you would imply. :cool:

Last edited:
I also reached out to Litchi asking about support for the P4P and was advised "we will be releasing an update but we don't know when. It will depend on when DJI releases the updated Developer's Kit."

So at a minimum to me that says it will work (at some point) on the P4P controller without the integrated screen. Don't know about the integrated screen. My gut would say no since there probably wouldn't be a way to install an app on a non-tablet like device. Could be wrong though.

My gut would say no since there probably wouldn't be a way to install an app on a non-tablet like device. Could be wrong though.
My gut says that someone will figure out how to sideload 3rd party apps on the integrated controller sooner rather than later. It might even be me.

Reactions: InforGuy
I'll keep an eye out!

If you can plug in another device/monitor into the USB port on the P4P+ and temporarily override the built-in display then why can't that device run Litchi, etc.? It might not be the most elegant of solutions but would work for someone who only occasionally uses 3rd party apps.
You can, and you will also be able to run Litchi on the built-in screen, too! DJI has no desire to prevent the developers SDK from being used on any of their products. Rest asured that installation of 3rd party Android apps on the built-in screen using the still unavailable DJI developer's SDK will be possible!

You can, and you will also be able to run Litchi on the built-in screen, too! DJI has no desire to prevent the developers SDK from being used on any of their products. Rest asured that installation of 3rd party Android apps on the built-in screen using the still unavailable DJI developer's SDK will be possible!
Like you I also believe that you will be able to install 3rd party apps on the integrated screen whether DJI officially supports it or not. But... even if that is not possible, if one can use any Android phone or tablet with the USB port on the P4P+ then you can run 3rd party apps that way. If so, why is everyone fretting about not being able to run 3rd party apps in the P4P+?

Or is that yet another way to rationalize not getting the integrated screen when you really know you want it? I've see a lot of cases of that lately. :D

I also reached out to Litchi asking about support for the P4P and was advised "we will be releasing an update but we don't know when. It will depend on when DJI releases the updated Developer's Kit."

So at a minimum to me that says it will work (at some point) on the P4P controller without the integrated screen. Don't know about the integrated screen. My gut would say no since there probably wouldn't be a way to install an app on a non-tablet like device. Could be wrong though.
The only thing holding Litchi back is the release of the Developer's SDK! The integrated screen is an Android tablet, running a DJI written version of DJI Go specifically for the dedicated screen. The reason the P4P+ orders are taking longer is because they come with DJI Go preinstalled, and the DJI Go 4 hasn't been released yet.

Last edited:
Like you I also believe that you will be able to install 3rd party apps on the integrated screen whether DJI officially supports it or not. But... even if that is not possible, if one can use any Android phone or tablet with the USB port on the P4P+ then you can run 3rd party apps that way. If so, why is everyone fretting about not being able to run 3rd party apps in the P4P+?

Or is that yet another way to rationalize not getting the integrated screen when you really know you want it? I've see a lot of cases of that lately. :D
Exactly! :D

Do not overlook that the Android version running on the built-in screen was written specifically by DJI for this hardware, instead of a generic version that must run on all types of hardware. Huge difference!

True however, DJI software hasn't exactly got a good track record, the DJI Go iOS app alone has 1 star out of 5 reviews, as far as I'm aware there's no support for litchi or dronepan either, that would affect my work as I do a lot of 360 equirectangular photos.

True however, DJI software hasn't exactly got a good track record, the DJI Go iOS app alone has 1 star out of 5 reviews, as far as I'm aware there's no support for litchi or dronepan either, that would affect my work as I do a lot of 360 equirectangular photos.

There is no indiction whatsoever that the P4P+ will not support any Android version of the DJI Developer SDK, which has yet to be released, but is a given. Both Litchi and Dronepan intend to support the P4P+. Apple app reviews of DJI Go are not the place to get accurate information. Anyone can download it and review it, even those who have never owned a Phantom. A newbie who crashes their Phantom because of pilot error will certainly blame the app. I take spherical panoramas, too, and ordered the P4P+. It's a no brainer. Worst case scenario, you plug in an iPad Mini to the P4P+ USB port and use that, mounted on top of the built-in screen, until the P4P+ versions are available, using the P4P versions of Litchi and Dronepan, which will be written after the Developer SDK is available to them.:cool:

Last edited:
There is no indiction whatsoever that the P4P+ will not support any Android version of the DJI Developer SDK, which has yet to be released, but is a given. Both Litchi and Dronepan intend to support the P4P+. Apple app reviews of DJI Go are not the place to get accurate information. Anyone can download it and review it, even those who have never owned a Phantom. A newbie who crashes their Phantom because of pilot error will certainly blame the app. I take spherical panoramas, too, and ordered the P4P+. It's a no brainer. Worst case scenario, you plug in an iPad Mini to the P4P+ USB port and use that, mounted on top of the built-in screen, until the P4P+ versions are available, using the P4P versions of Litchi and Dronepan, which will be written after the Deveoper SDK is available to them.:cool:

Good info, clearly you've done your homework on the p4p, so to speak. Thanks! [emoji3][emoji106]

Reactions: GadgetGuy
GadgetGuy, the P4P FAQ goes against a lot of what you're claiming above.

Q: Can I detach the integrated display from the Phantom 4 Pro +?
A: No.

Q: Can I connect an iOS device or Android device to the Phantom 4 Pro + to use DJI GO?
A: No

Q: What apps are preloaded on the Phantom 4 Pro + screen?
A: Popular social media apps and DJI GO.

Q: What operating system does Phantom 4 Pro + controller use?
A: It uses a customized DJI system.

Q: Can I download other apps onto the Phantom 4 Pro + controller?
A: No. Currently the Phantom 4 Pro + controller does not support downloading additional third party apps.

Reactions: Larry.Marshall

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj