conflicted: Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

Are video and stills downloaded in real time to the DJI screen at the same quality as on the Phantom SD card?

no.

the DJI screen is, i seem to recall, 1080p at the best of times.

the SD card can record video up to 4k.....

I did some research on nits (screen brightness) and 1000 nits is supposedly WAY brighter than 500 nits (it is not a linear scale)

an ipad mini 4 is about 400 nits, i believe.

so I think i'd prefer a VERY bright 5.5" screen to a fairly washed out 7.9" screen.... :-/
The S7 edge has 855 nits and 5.5 inch so its very close, if of course y you are using Android and no problems with this phone ..

The guy in this video is using the P4P+ and you can see that no matter the camera angle filming the display on the controller, it is incredibly bright.

I'd like to know what the battery life on the remote is like with that screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy in this video is using the P4P+ and you can see that no matter the camera angle filming the display on the controller, it is incredibly bright.

To be fair, the video is shot in overcast conditions and flat light rather than direct sunlight. However, even the off angle view is still quite readable from the side. Impressive!

Personally the 5.5" is just too small for me. I use an air 2 and absolutely love the large screen. You could consider the p4p without the built in screen and just buy a dji CrystalSky in the 7.85" size when it becomes available, when/price unknown I believe. If the CrystalSky is competitively priced and you're in the market, it would probably be a no brainer.
How clear is your Ipad 2? I've got the Ipad air for my Phantom 2 Vision + and it just seems a bit pixelated to me. Is your cell service turned on as well as your GPS on the pad?

To be fair, the video is shot in overcast conditions and flat light rather than direct sunlight. However, even the off angle view is still quite readable from the side. Impressive!
Should bring it out here to Arizona for testing. I'll show them what 'direct sunlight' looks like.

Should bring it out here to Arizona for testing. I'll show them what 'direct sunlight' looks like.
Exactly. Surely someone with a P4P+ in hand can find some sunshine and show us how bright the screen really is in direct sunlight!

Reactions: len750
How clear is your Ipad 2? I've got the Ipad air for my Phantom 2 Vision + and it just seems a bit pixelated to me. Is your cell service turned on as well as your GPS on the pad?
You don't have lightbridge on that P2V. You need to see an iPad Air2 using lightbridge. It's a big improvement over wifi technology. It's quite good for clarity, pretty consistent 720 HD resolution, but it could be brighter, for sure. The upcoming 7.9" CrystalSky display looks very interesting, 2000nit! Yowee. If that's true I'll be getting one.

Reactions: len750
You don't have lightbridge on that P2V. You need to see an iPad Air2 using lightbridge. It's a big improvement over wifi technology. It's quite good for clarity, pretty consistent 720 HD resolution, but it could be brighter, for sure. The upcoming 7.9" CrystalSky display looks very interesting, 2000nit! Yowee. If that's true I'll be getting one.
In addition to the 5.5" 1000 nit CrysalSky, there are apparently two 7.9" CrystalSky displays, one said to offer 1000 nits, and the other 2000 nits. If the 5.5" is $500, and the 7.9" 1000 nit version is $800, the 2000 nit version 7.9" has got to be really pricey.

Based on the given availability I'm thinking (having a hard time) maybe to order P4P instead of P4P+...
question: can the standard P4 controller charge an iPad Air 2?

I like the built in screen it's easy use, one button, one device to charge and not taking care if each and every device is fully charged.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: MicRod
Another question related to the P4P+ RC with its SD slot...is the main purpose that you can insert the SD card from the drone with the pics and Videos in order to review/edit them within the app on the built in screen?

If so, you would be not possible to do the same with the standard RC in combination with an IPad as there is no SD slot?

Based on the given availability I'm thinking (having a hard time) maybe to order P4P instead of P4P+...
question: can the standard P4 controller charge an iPad Air 2?

I like the built in screen it's easy use, one button, one device to charge and not taking care if each and every device is fully charged.
Vendors are saying that they expect the P4P+ units in by the end of next week. That doesn't seem like that much extra a wait to get what you really want.

Reactions: John_LA
Vendors are saying that they expect the P4P+ units in by the end of next week. That doesn't seem like that much extra a wait to get what you really want.

You never know if that really will become reality so quick

It would be good to know already the future pricing for the CrystalSky the small and larger screen? As those can be used most likely for future models...the integrated one is maybe only for the P4P as the RC itself will most likely not work on any new a phantom series in the future :-(

As the P4P would be my first DJI drone, how do I get the recorded pictures and videos from the drones SD card on my iPad (no SD slot) and the DJI Go 4 app for any review??

Last edited:
Regarding the original question: pro+ vs pro: I have been flying Inspire, Phantom 3 and 4 all with an iPad air. As much as I like the size of the iPad I find it virtually impossible to view the screen without using a Hoodman visor to block out the light. The combination of a relative lack of brightness and a highly reflective screen on the iPad makes it difficult to use, even on cloudy days. The Hoodman is an excellent accessory that successfully addresses this issue BTW. I have ordered the P4P+ because of the claimed brighter screen. I think I would trade size for brightness. I also like the simplicity of having the integrated screen and not having to attach a Hoodman visor. If I find that the smaller screen is just too small I may exchange for the regular Pro and continue to use my iPad/Hoodman combination and wait until the Crystal Sky monitor becomes available and then consider it.

You never know if that really will become reality so quick

It would be good to know already the future pricing for the CrystalSky the small and larger screen? As those can be used most likely for future models...the integrated one is maybe only for the P4P as the RC itself will most likely not work on any new a phantom series in the future :-(

As the P4P would be my first DJI drone, how do I get the recorded pictures and videos from the drones SD card on my iPad (no SD slot) and the DJI Go 4 app for any review??

The Phantom 4 Pro+ controller should work with the Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4, Phantom 3 Pro, Phantom 3 Advanced. It may even control the Mavic Pro (certainly via WiFi, but not sure with OccuSync)

The CrystalSky controller is backwards compatible as well. Since the Phantom 4 Pro+ controller has similar specs to the CrystalSky controller, there is ZERO doubt that both controllers will work with many future models of the Phantom and other DJI drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl