conflicted: Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

I've read somewhere here or at DJI forum, that someone was already reaching out to Litchi and confirmed that they will incl P4P in one of their future releases...so the only question remains if Litchi will be allowed to run on P4P+ (built-in screen)
Yes, Litchi will no doubt have a release for the P4P unless for some reason DJI actively prevents it, which seems unlikely since they've never done that before, nor is there any reason DJI would allow it on one version of the P4P and not the other. The only question is whether a method will be developed to sideload additional apps on the internal Android display and again, given the talented user base and the incentive my guess is yes. The absolute worst case for a P4P+ owner who just must use 3rd party apps would be buying an additional controller and dedicating it to that purpose, but again my bet is that that will not turn out to be necessary.

I finally got through with DJI tech support and they stated that no Apps except DJI Go will work on the integrated screen. That said, I wont be getting that. Further, they did confirm that the HDMI module from the previous models will work on the new.

Good news about the HDMI module. Not so good news about the new screen. Glad I ordered the standard remote, as I really enjoy using Litchi, and I'm sure it wont be too long before it supports the P4P.

If you haven't watched the full video of the release press conference, you should. It mentions a lot of new features in the Go app for the P4Pro:
As for me, the new screen is a no-brainer. I've tried a dozen solutions, from tablets to shades, and a screen you can't see is worthless, no matter how big it is.

Is there a patent by Litchi? DJI could implement same functions into their app isn't
DJI can implement any kind of mission programabilty it wants and this will probably become more advanced over time, but they are also likely always going to be on the conservative side vs. some 3rd party apps since DJI has the added responsibility of actually having to warranty the unit. If a DJI software product fails and as a result you lose the drone then it's DJI's problem. If you have any problems with a 3rd party app and you lose the drone it's your problem, as many have learned.

Anyone who says they don't need Litchi...hasn't flown with Litchi. If you bought your drone just to "fly around" then you really overpaid for a drone with unreal capabilities and technology that 3rd party apps like Litchi take full advantage of.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I've bought Litchi. I've flown with Litchi. I don't need Litchi.
But I do like DJI Ultimate Flight.
That said, I'm not going to try either on my P4P+ until a lot of others have tried and are bragging on their results.

The deal breaker for me would be 3rd party app compatibility,specifically Litchi. I like flying missions, and DJI go is nowhere near as good as Litchi.
I also like the larger 7.9 screen of the Ipad.
I would think that if you have certain requirements for your display, you may want to use a mobile device that works well in that case. Outside of that, having a display that comes with the remote may be the way to go.

As a first time drone flyer I chose the P4P+ just for simplicity's sake. One of two things will happen in the future, I will either just end up flying as a hobby or I will end up working (at least some) commercially. In the former case I would rather have a simple integrated solution with only one company to blame if it doesn't work well. In the later case I will purchase a second TX with a CS 7.9" inch screen as a write-off and have the flexibility required. However I still think that 3rd party apps will be possible on the integrated display (although it might void your warrantee maybe).

As a first time drone flyer I chose the P4P+ just for simplicity's sake. One of two things will happen in the future, I will either just end up flying as a hobby or I will end up working (at least some) commercially. In the former case I would rather have a simple integrated solution with only one company to blame if it doesn't work well. In the later case I will purchase a second TX with a CS 7.9" inch screen as a write-off and have the flexibility required. However I still think that 3rd party apps will be possible on the integrated display (although it might void your warrantee maybe).
Yes, and if you go the latter route you could probably recover a good bit of the cost by selling your original built-in screen controller since they go for $600 new if purchased standalone.

On the Mavic, an iPad can still be hooked up through the USB port on the bottom. On the P4P+ controller, I believe, in addition to an HDMI port, there is still the same USB port that is used to hook up all other external tablets, just like on the P4P standard remote and all P4 and P3 remotes. Wouldn't hooking up an iPad to that USB port bypass the built in hardwired screen Plus screen, without needing to buy another controller, if you could creatively mount it over the existing screen, much like people have figured out how to mount an iPad Mini into the Mavic phone holder?

I am hoping that is true, but there is conflicting info about that USB port.

Ok this is becoming too funny. Why would you think chat would know what's going on?

I've worked in chat CS centers before. Nothing to do with actual company and got our information from the internet before internal sources.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Ok this is becoming too funny. Why would you think chat would know what's going on?

I've worked in chat CS centers before. Nothing to do with actual company and got our information from the internet before internal sources.
Exactly. 'Chat told me...' posts are amusing, but provide absolutely no reliable information at all.

When you read the specs of the P4P+ integrated monitor and the CrystalSky monitor, they seem nearly identical. I'm starting to think that the P4P+ integrated monitor is just a lesser cost CrystalSky monitor (it is lacking the physical buttons along the side of the big brother CrystalSky). I couldn't see DJI making such an integrated device that ONLY works with the P4P because it has to be forward compatible (i.e., work with the Phantom 5), and if it is forward compatible, it may as well be backwards compatible. We may discover that it works with many other DJI drones.... which would be pretty cool!

When you read the specs of the P4P+ integrated monitor and the CrystalSky monitor, they seem nearly identical. I'm starting to think that the P4P+ integrated monitor is just a lesser cost CrystalSky monitor (it is lacking the physical buttons along the side of the big brother CrystalSky). I couldn't see DJI making such an integrated device that ONLY works with the P4P because it has to be forward compatible (i.e., work with the Phantom 5), and if it is forward compatible, it may as well be backwards compatible. We may discover that it works with many other DJI drones.... which would be pretty cool!
Looking at the specs of both units it appears that the P4P+ integrated monitor is essentially the main components (screen and electronics) of the 5.5" CrystalSky, but repackaged for the P4P+ with a different case and set up for 'integrated' use (ports are on the controller, unnecessary items such as external battery supply, second SD card slot, etc., are stripped, etc.) The less expensive packaging and the fact that the display is being provided as a part of another unit (no separate SKU, power supply already there, etc.) allows DJI to provide the display at a lower cost than when purchased standalone, so $300 extra for what is essentially a (projected) $600-ish 5.5" CrystalSky unit seems like a pretty good deal.

Looking at the specs of both units it appears that the P4P+ integrated monitor is essentially the main components (screen and electronics) of the 5.5" CrystalSky, but repackaged for the P4P+ with a different case and set up for 'integrated' use (ports are on the controller, unnecessary items such as external battery supply, second SD card slot, etc., are stripped, etc.) The less expensive packaging and the fact that the display is being provided as a part of another unit (no separate SKU, power supply already there, etc.) allows DJI to provide the display at a lower cost than when purchased standalone, so $300 extra for what is essentially a (projected) $600-ish 5.5" CrystalSky unit seems like a pretty good deal.
I think you may not be far off on the price of the CrystalSky 5.5 unit.

Does that mean the larger CS unit will be like $1000? I was not thinking it would be that expensive.

Are video and stills downloaded in real time to the DJI screen at the same quality as on the Phantom SD card?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1