Conflict

Reaction score
Hello, earlier today I was flying at Boylan Bridge in Raleigh, NC. I had recorded a shot around Bloomsberry Estates, about 200 ft away from the building. And a couple minutes later, a person who lived in the apartment came up to me with very profound words, telling me that it's illegal to fly near a private building and threatened he would call the FCC on me. I asked him what I had done to disturb him, and he was concerned about me seeing into him daughters bedroom window. I asked if he would like to see the footage of the building and assured him, nothing can be seen through the windows. He then continued to threaten to shoot down my drone next time it comes near his apartment, or I come to this area. I apologized for flying to close to the building and redirected my drone shots toward the city. The police was called, and said I had done nothing wrong as I was following FAA rules. And apologized for the inconvenience. Sorry for the long post but is there anything I had done wrong, or perhaps a law by the FAA that does not allow me to fly near a private building?

Yep it suxs ay have had it happen 2 times now,some just don't like drones,I know if flying around or over property it pays to ask if it ok but yes just flying around there always a bad apple,now I just go elsewhere and avoid the Hassel, supposed to be fun,it's also illegal to shoot drone out the sky so he get in the poo if he does,but easy just to travel somewhere,take care and enjoy
Ps.Google earth or street veiwing apps way more intrusive

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AndrewCCM
Tell him next time call the FCC! Uncle Charlie (FCC) doesn’t care about drones, it’s obvious you were dealing with a highly intelligent individual, conversation is useless.

I told a concerned citizen I was performing a radiation survey in the area, and he would be notified if results were life threatening. He posted in the local neighborhood blog that he had a long conversation with a govt official and was watching the situation closely. He saw me again and I told him I had some momentary hits I was trying to find and he was quiet the whole time, when I left I told him no findings and he was happy!
Idiots are everywhere, you gotta live with them, be prepared with a story if you don’t plan to visit there a lot and it can be fun! No fight, just fun!

Hello, earlier today I was flying at Boylan Bridge in Raleigh, NC. I had recorded a shot around Bloomsberry Estates, about 200 ft away from the building. And a couple minutes later, a person who lived in the apartment came up to me with very profound words, telling me that it's illegal to fly near a private building and threatened he would call the FCC on me. I asked him what I had done to disturb him, and he was concerned about me seeing into him daughters bedroom window. I asked if he would like to see the footage of the building and assured him, nothing can be seen through the windows. He then continued to threaten to shoot down my drone next time it comes near his apartment, or I come to this area. I apologized for flying to close to the building and redirected my drone shots toward the city. The police was called, and said I had done nothing wrong as I was following FAA rules. And apologized for the inconvenience. Sorry for the long post but is there anything I had done wrong, or perhaps a law by the FAA that does not allow me to fly near a private building?
you did nothing wrong . don't worry about and be sure and go there to fly some more . he will get used to it are he will end up getting arrested if he does anything . 200 ft is plenty of space . people love to threaten and think their privacy is being infringed on . if their unwilling to look at the footage and see that no one can see into a window with a drone at 200 ft then screw them .

The Police said you did nothing wrong.

Move on

Legally you did nothing wrong but you also aren't doing yourself (or our industry) any favors. We need to "Try" and be mindful about public perception and you do want to always think about "Privacy Concerns". Even if you aren't "peeping" you want to try to fly in manner that doesn't appear to be peeping.

Bottom line is sometimes we just can't help but fly in the areas of idiots and it sounds like you handled it to the best of your ability. I don't think I'd fly there any more if I could help it though.

Legally you did nothing wrong but you also aren't doing yourself (or our industry) any favors. We need to "Try" and be mindful about public perception and you do want to always think about "Privacy Concerns". Even if you aren't "peeping" you want to try to fly in manner that doesn't appear to be peeping.

Bottom line is sometimes we just can't help but fly in the areas of idiots and it sounds like you handled it to the best of your ability. I don't think I'd fly there any more if I could help it though.
it's a very slippery slope once we allow others to direct us because of their false assumptions we end up giving up our rights . he claims he was 200' away that's more then enough distance to not be considered peeping . the thing he needs to do is fly there again and often . it's the only way people will get used to the fact that drones are legal and people have a right to fly them . You will always find someone that thinks your infringing on their rights . The only way not to lose your rights is stand up for them . JMHO

Reactions: N017RW
I remember when cell phones came out with a camera on them, everyone was freaking out over privacy. They didn’t want you taking your phone in a public bathroom or locker room and now you hear nothing about them.
I think it will just take time like it did with the camera phone.

As soon as anyone makes a statement about "shooting down" a UAV, immediately ask for his name and identification,. This is a criminal threat and should be treated as such. Try to get it recorded. If he refuses to identify, then call police yourself and report a criminal threat.

All that being said, it is easier to try of reason with someone and educate them. But if that doesn't work, remember that was a criminal threat and if they do it, hopefully you have proof.

Be sure you are not too close and not getting too good a picture.

I’m glad I live an a open carry state. It just seems to make everyone a little more polite.

The main issue people in my area have is the noise. Especially in local and state parks where they’re trying to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. I can see their point. That’s why I try to be respectful and not fly to low.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan