Conception/Missconception

Reaction score
OK, this post is about general newbie stuff but I want to get it locked down, cause I am a newbie.....all of these dealing with loss of signal/connection.

1) Loss of signal and loss of connection. CONCEPTION These are two different things. Loss of signal means your controller has lost connection with the drone., the drone will proceed according to your pre-sets, and either hover, land or return home. Loss of connection means you have lost the video feed from the camera, but you can still fly the drone.....i

2) CONCEPTION Loss of GPS. Means you have lost satellites, but you can control the drone in MANUAL (my term meaning compass and by the seat or your pants.)

3) FLYAWAY CONCEPTION No GPS or signal. You can't fly the drone and without GPS it can't return home. Its lost without a clue. MISCONCEPTION If you don't know how to fly any flight could quickly a "FLYAWAY.

Ok, please chime in experienced pilots....

1) Loss of "signal" means you have lost both video transmission and control. You will be flying blind and have no control whatsoever other than your pre-sets for loss of signal. There is no separation between the two.

2) Loss of GPS, reverts to "ATTI" mode where only altitude is controlled via the AC barometer.

3) Loss of signal and GPS. Goodbye. It could do anything.

Easy enough?

1) Loss of "signal" means you have lost both video transmission and control. You will be flying blind and have no control whatsoever other than your pre-sets for loss of signal. There is no separation between the two.

2) Loss of GPS, reverts to "ATTI" mode where only altitude is controlled via the AC barometer.

Easy enough?

Thanks, I had most of that right.....but i have heard "connection lost" with Litchi app and not lost control of the drone. Would it be correct that the Litchi app has lost "connection" with the controller......as opposed to the controller losing signal of the drone

Thanks, I had most of that right.....but i have heard "connection lost" with Litchi app and not lost control of the drone. Would it be correct that the Litchi app has lost "connection" with the controller......as opposed to the controller losing signal of the drone
That depends on if you are flying FPV or a mission. You may hear that during a mission, but with Litchi everything is stored on the AC and will complete the mission regardless of signal loss. You could also possibly hear that momentarily if the signal drops for less than 2 to 3 seconds, then recovers before your fail safe action kicks in while in FPV.

Hum, Are you using Litchi, there is differences in what some of the questions and answers will be between it and DJI-Go.
"DJI-GO" What a stupid name. :rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: Fly Dawg
Loss of conception means that you lost a child before birth or how you perceived something. Not sure what that has to do with a Phantom. Maybe you thought it was a different type of drone and then all of a sudden you find out it's a Phantom. Loss of conception.

Reactions: Numone and Fly Dawg
The conception is that it's a loss of connection.... In fact I think it's a disconnection between litchi and the controller.... I hope that's not too complicated.

Easy enough?
Some minor clarification here- you can loose video downlink and still have the AC responding to stick inputs. When the AC has clear view of the sky the most common switch to ATTI is initiated where there is a compass data discrepancy, the GPS remains active and you will still see your position depicted on the map (albeit with a likely Incorrect heading). Lost signal and RTH will either not engage or it will fly the AC to a random location.

Reactions: RodPad
you can loose video downlink and still have the AC responding to stick inputs.
I certainly will be much happier when someone can "CLEARLY" present a difference ....This "story" has gone on and on and on. First it's no. Then it's yes. Then it's "possibly". I have yet to get a firm definitive resolution to that and most likely will never get one. To me it depends on too many variable's, ( UN-predictable ones included). And I believe that the most common switch to "ATTI" would be interference of the LOS of satellites for many. And probably more so rather than Compass issues, but those do come in to play, so that cannot be ruled out. Just a few more cents. ( Notice I did not say Sense...LOL)

I certainly will be much happier when someone can "CLEARLY" present a difference ....This "story" has gone on and on and on. First it's no. Then it's yes. Then it's "possibly". I have yet to get a firm definitive resolution to that and most likely will never get one. To me it depends on too many variable's, ( UN-predictable ones included). And I believe that the most common switch to "ATTI" would be interference of the LOS of satellites for many. And probably more so rather than Compass issues, but those do come in to play, so that cannot be ruled out. Just a few more cents. ( Notice I did not say Sense...LOL)
We can rely on own experience and reported observations of others. Without exception all the unexpected switches to ATTI I have had were attributed to the compass, the AC software will automatically default to flying on the compass when a discrepancy is depicted between GPS and compass data. Reading the experience of others it seems there is no doubt on this one. Similarly video loss while maintaining ability to control the AC has also been demonstrated by myself and others. The App settings reveal video downlink channel may be set independently, while we know telemetry is encoded in the video downlink it does seem that the control signals to the AC are seperate, likley using the conventional FASST protocol.

Loss of conception means that you lost a child before birth or how you perceived something. Not sure what that has to do with a Phantom. Maybe you thought it was a different type of drone and then all of a sudden you find out it's a Phantom. Loss of conception.

Ha ha - yeah, you're probably right. Comments perhaps should have been about PERCEPTION vs REALITY.

One of the problems comes from the different ways the P3 communicates.

P3S splits the Controller to AC into two parts .... flight control 5.8Ghz and Video / Telemetry 2.4Ghz WiFi
But its not that simple either ... because you can lose totally 2.4Ghz but still control camera tilt ! and of course fly by the controller sticks / buttons. RTH still works along with S1 ....

P3A / P3P on the other hand combines all into the Lightbridge format which effectively carries same as the P3S but on that one 2.4GHz carrier. You can lose Video and still have control ... you can lose control and still have video ... it is not a lose one - lose all format.

To try and define exactly each part and how is very difficult as DJI actually protect strongly all design and form info other than that needed by SDK used by such as Litchi etc.

Nigel

you can loose video downlink and still have the AC responding to stick inputs.
Everything you mentioned is correct. Maybe I should has rephrased what I meant in a different way. Per the statement above, that is correct, however, I should have stated "video transmission" as "loss of visual reference and telemetry", as I mentioned "flying blind". It is true that you may still have "stick" control, although it may possibly be briefly, depending on the circumstances such as distance, interference from objects..etc..etc..and to me it's a crap shoot, being the fact that DJI's Lightbridge is almost like classified information and the understanding of exactly how the system operates is not cut in stone for the general user, so to speak. The fact that, my personal VLOS is approximately 2500ft, ( Others may be more, depending on your eyesight, or how you determine VLOS),
should the above occur at that point, other than the extra lighting I have for such, that would be a complete loss of control for me personally. It's either manual RTH, or wait for complete loss for failsafe RTH. Just wanted to clarify what I meant in a different way.

"The fact that, my personal VLOS is approximately 2500ft, ( Others may be more, depending on your eyesight, or how you determine VLOS)," ...... that's 830 yards ... or about 800m ....

You can fly your P3 Visually at that distance ? Orientation, and all ... no need for display / RTH / Headless mode or any assistance ?

Sorry but that is a long long way ... I've got very good sight with my glasses on and at much over 200m (~900ft) I need to start 'testing' reaction of AC to even start to fly totally without aids !!

Nigel

You can fly your P3 Visually at that distance ? Orientation, and all ... no need for display / RTH / Headless mode or any assistance ?
That's why I mentioned the extra lighting. Cree Strobes in the rear. I can see those at 2500ft day or night. Gives me orientation.

OK ...

Now that I have you guys any let me ask about this it seems like sooner or later going to lose one of these birds......what is the best way to test my range without jeopardizing the drone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1