Lost signal (but not really)

Reaction score
So yesterday I was flying out about 1700 in my suburban neighborhood and it had good RC signal, 4 out of 5 to be exact. A few seconds later it suddenly said lost signal and the controller light turned red as well as the video feed turned grey. It was set to return to home but it just sat there and hovered. In a panic I drove to it (forgetting controller at home like a dummy) and after a few minutes it shot home due to the 30 percent battery safeguard. Later on I tried flying semi close to home and I shut the controller off and it was returning to home properly. I chalked it up as a fluke.

Tonight however, it happened again at about 2200' out. Signal appeared to be great but suddenly it dropped it again, yet it didn't return to home. I toggled the return to home switch and it started coming back, I didn't expect it to work since the controller light was red. I then decided to keep flying out to get it to "lose signal" again and once it lost it I moved the sticks and I had full control. So that explains why it didn't return to home on its own but why on earth is it telling me I lost signal when I really didnt? Defect??

Sorry for the long winded explanation. I just figured I'd put the details in.

Your loosing your incoming signal, but the Phantom is still picking up / receiving the remote control signal.

Yup, flick the left toggle switch up and down several times until you hear the return home announcement.

If his app is not picking up the Phantom, will he still get the Return Home Announcement?

I did flick it and activate it. That wasn't the issue it was why it was saying lost connection when I still had control. Is it normal for the controller to lose signal from the phantom before the Phantom loses signal from the controller?

So when all is well and the app is displaying my rc signal meter, what signal is it referring to, the phantoms signal tothe controller OR the controllers signal to the phantom?

Its happen to me a few times. I think its some kind of interference. So i dont fly in that direction anymore. Hasn't happened since. Was over a condo complex.

Let's make it clear. If it says 'No signal' and red light on Tx that means you lost the signal that the bird sends you( the video signal obviously ). But if it says 'RC signal lost' that means you lost Control signal, causing the drone to initiate RTH procedure. That's my personal experience with my phantom 3s

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yea it will "lost signal" but still have enough control signal to not RTH. So always just flip the RTH switch when it bugs out to be sure.

What phone/tablet are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is what I think makes it confusing, lets see if everybody agrees.
When signal from the Phantom (Live Picture and Data) fails. The Remote's light turns red. Because of that, we or the confused we think the phantom is in the RTH, But the Phantom is receiving the signal from the remote fine.

Join the club. If you read even a portion of the threads on this site and others, you see this problem is widespread.The worst of it is - there doesn't seem to be any concern by the manafacturer to finding a solution.

There is no fix, that's how it works. It doesn't need to RTH because you still have control of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic