Complete rebuild of a drowned phantom 1

Reaction score
So I recently bought a DJI phantom V1.0 I got it for $100 but they told me it didn't work. So when I got home I tested it out to see what was going on, and the calibration worked! the drone was also receiving data from the transmitter! And it was receiving data from the GPS, so that meant that the GPS module, the receiver, and what ever that little thing on the landing gear is called... WORKED! and I assumed the NAZA-M V2 also worked but when I decided to take it out and see if it would actually fly... the motors would not even start... nothing would happen. Confused I opened the Phantom and I saw some horrible stuff, all the ESC were completely rusted (really bad) and all the motors were also rusted and were extremely hard to spin. I am really worried about the NAZA-M V2 because a lot of the pins were also really rusty. So my plan is to replace all the ESC and all the motors and hopefully the NAZA-M V2 is still working fine. If it still doesn't work after that I will probably be selling some cheap motors and esc.
I will be posting a complete guide when I'm done for any one wondering how to do it.
estimated repair costs: $140.

By the way do any experienced Phantom owners know how to tel if the NAZA module works? because it wouldn't connect to my computer... but as I said it did process the GPS data, and the receiver's data and it correctly communicates with the LED and calibration worked.

Thanks!
Andrew,

Water crashes are the worst,
I just did a full rebuild of a phantom vision ( saltwater crash ) I tried to salvage stuff, but it was a complete loss! Every electronic was corroded and rusty, so I kept the shell, and all other plastic parts. I shopped around, and found a camera with no MAC address, for $80, then I bought the main circuit board, naza, receiver, and GPS from a member for $150, had about another $25 in ( screw kit ( 2 needed ), USB port ( this may be your problem? If everything is rusty, this port is too? ) anyhow, I also bought the cable set, my good friend ( Dirkclod ) donated a set of ESC's and motors, as he upgraded his and no longer needed them ( all for free )
So I built it, for like $240 or so ( but I had to buy that camera as well ) so not bad! I would recommend replacing all internals, water does a lot of damage, and you would not want to be up 100' and have something fail? I've seen naza flight controllers on eBay as low as $45 U.S. , just shop around, if you need any guidance please review my post in phantom vision complete rebuild from scratch! Good luck, keep us updated!

J Dot

I blew up a couple ESC and found eBay seller dslrproswholesale to have several useful bits for Phantoms.

Only reason I attempted repair though was because NazaM still connected to computer (after disconnecting shorted ESCs) and I could verify transmitter channels, etc.

Maybe it's just the USB board but if NazaM isn't hermetically sealed and was submerged I would guess the chances of rescue to be slim?

Anyway search that eBay seller if looking for OEM DJI surplus parts. I'm not a shill but recently bought P1 parts and very happy with them.

Maybe wash with alcohol and try soaking motors in warm motor oil or ATF followed by blowing with compressed air? They might come around if the windings survived?

Do believe I've seen motor bearing kits too?

Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not? Just depends what you can replace everything for.

I bought (Craigslist) my complete used P1 in good condition for $300 late Spring this year.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll be looking into that, I'll try to keep the total cost under $250 because that would be a pretty good deal for 1 working P1, 1 controller, 2 batteries, 2 sets for rotors and other small accessories. But would cleaning the circuit board with alcohol work? If so then i'll do that!

Thanks!

Most of the circuits are pretty tough if soldered correctly, I found the CAPACITORS, to be the biggest problem, they are the larger black round tubular circuits, as they stand on 2 legs under them, these legs are made of crappy tin, once corroded, they bust off with the slightest touch, all 4 fell of on ESC's, just disassembling the bird, so I touched the one on the main board, same thing fell off! I'd be very cautious and scrutinize EVERYTHING!
Here is a pic of a capacitor:
D3E54D41-AE0F-4786-B914-49D44A133D7F_zpssi5grqpq.jpg

Just a heads up, take care!

J Dot

Yes alcohol would be a fine cleaner using old toothbrush to scrub clean. Those electrolytic capacitors may likely be compromised as mentioned.

Good luck!

Reactions: AndrewJ
Haha thanks :) I just tested the receiver and the GPS module and everything worked fine so I'm
basically sure that the NAZA is working fine as well, I just finished cleaning up the shell, as well as the pins on the NAZA and the receiver. I also ordered 2 cw motors 2 ccw motors and 2 green esc and 2 red esc and a new LED/USB module. for about $120 so I got a pretty good deal! here are some pictutes:

the least corroded ESC:
1017150952[1].jpg

the working receiver:
1017150954[1].jpg

Reactions: Ti22
Awesome to see 'em coming back to life!

Did you ever apply power to the wet ESC's with/without motors attached? I's be curious if they at least lit up?

And please don't toss the old motors away before maybe offering to someone willing to pay postage and maybe a little something for your trouble?

Awesome to see 'em coming back to life!

Did you ever apply power to the wet ESC's with/without motors attached? I's be curious if they at least lit up?

And please don't toss the old motors away before maybe offering to someone willing to pay postage and maybe a little something for your trouble?
if you want I have 3 of the motors left, I can give them to you if you want to pay for shipping,

Reactions: Ti22

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic