Complaint Vent and Concerns

Reaction score
I just need to share this......

I am a proud owner of a P4P and love flying, taking photos and videos with such incredible technology I am truly hooked on the hobby and enjoy sharing with others.

However......at the recent July 4th city fireworks show with thousands of people enjoying the celebration as we looked into the sky at the beautiful fireworks to see that there was also 8 drones circling the fireworks moving in and out and thru them taking photos and videos. This certainly was a distraction and I believe very selfish on the part of the drone pilots. The operators were not flying over the crowds but they were flying at night and I am not certain if this was legal or not. I am sure that great videos were proudly shared on YouTube the next day.

As more and more people enter this hobby selfish acts like this is going to fuel those opposed to drones and their use. I am not sure what the answer is......should government put more restrictions on drone pilots or should there be strict penalties but either way I think the future will be interesting and a storm maybe on the horizon.

With all the media issues whenever I fly my drone I do feel a little paranoid wondering if someone will be bothered and come complain which is really taking away some of the enjoyment of the hobby.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I point a finger at those of you who flew the fireworks......

happened in my city and the surrounding communities as well. i’m sure it happened all over the world. no different than people filming concerts. annoying, but nothing’s gonna change it. even if there were more regs - people will do it anyway. people aren’t supposed to drink and drive but – they do. people shouldn’t text and drive but – they do. regardless of the regulations put in place.

best to work on not letting it bother you.

Reactions: Capo
This certainly was a distraction and I believe very selfish on the part of the drone pilots. The operators were not flying over the crowds but they were flying at night and I am not certain if this was legal or not.
First, I understand how you feel, but ( Here it comes), this is perfectly legal for recreational hobby fliers, ans as far as "selfish"? I'm not sure that is the correct term to use in that instance. Most if not all hobby fliers most enjoy the rare opportunity to get those kinds of video's and photo's. As I said, I understand how you feel about it and there really is no right or wrong answer. And, more governmental restrictions will only add frustration to existing hobby fliers. Not saying that there could not be some, but it tends to get overly confusing to the average hobbyist. And no, I did not fly for the fireworks display in my area, I'm just making a brief response with a few thoughts.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I just need to share this......

I am a proud owner of a P4P and love flying, taking photos and videos with such incredible technology I am truly hooked on the hobby and enjoy sharing with others.

However......at the recent July 4th city fireworks show with thousands of people enjoying the celebration as we looked into the sky at the beautiful fireworks to see that there was also 8 drones circling the fireworks moving in and out and thru them taking photos and videos. This certainly was a distraction and I believe very selfish on the part of the drone pilots. The operators were not flying over the crowds but they were flying at night and I am not certain if this was legal or not. I am sure that great videos were proudly shared on YouTube the next day.

As more and more people enter this hobby selfish acts like this is going to fuel those opposed to drones and their use. I am not sure what the answer is......should government put more restrictions on drone pilots or should there be strict penalties but either way I think the future will be interesting and a storm maybe on the horizon.

With all the media issues whenever I fly my drone I do feel a little paranoid wondering if someone will be bothered and come complain which is really taking away some of the enjoyment of the hobby.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I point a finger at those of you who flew the fireworks......

Paul, I am with you on this. Responsible use should be taken. I have my 107 and even a hobby use cannot fly in this condition. 107 would need a night waiver at the least. People are going to say I am wrong, but hobby use can only be done until the end of Civil Twilight (30 minutes after sunset) as well. This is because of the lighting on the drones and other factors. Drones do not have the proper lighting to be seen by other aircraft after dark. The LEDs do not meet what is needed to meet the 3+ mile identification lighting. You need to get specific extra lighting for that. Also, many fireworks companies obtain TFRs for their events, so they would be in violation of that as well. Also, there are usually plenty of people by those so it would also be flying over people, another recommendation not to do by FAA for hobby and a can't under 107 without a waiver.

That is just my short version of thoughts on this. There is a reason there are recommendations and rules out there. Fly safe my friends!

Paul, I am with you on this. Responsible use should be taken. I have my 107 and even a hobby use cannot fly in this condition. 107 would need a night waiver at the least. People are going to say I am wrong, but hobby use can only be done until the end of Civil Twilight (30 minutes after sunset) as well. This is because of the lighting on the drones and other factors. Drones do not have the proper lighting to be seen by other aircraft after dark. The LEDs do not meet what is needed to meet the 3+ mile identification lighting. You need to get specific extra lighting for that. Also, many fireworks companies obtain TFRs for their events, so they would be in violation of that as well. Also, there are usually plenty of people by those so it would also be flying over people, another recommendation not to do by FAA for hobby and a can't under 107 without a waiver.

That is just my short version of thoughts on this. There is a reason there are recommendations and rules out there. Fly safe my friends!

HI Nickster...thank you for your thoughts and you are right selfish is not the case as I am sure the videos were shared with others the motives of the pilots were not intentional to bother others and maybe it only bothered me because I recognized the flashing lights and could tell there was a Phantom Drone and an Inspire. I hope that more restrictions are not necessary and that we (Drone Junkies) all do fly responsibly!. Thanks!

Reactions: Nickster
People are going to say I am wrong, but hobby use can only be done until the end of Civil Twilight (30 minutes after sunset) as well. This is because of the lighting on the drones and other factors. Drones do not have the proper lighting to be seen by other aircraft after dark. The LEDs do not meet what is needed to meet the 3+ mile identification lighting.
Can you link me to the regulation for Hobby UAS that states this point? I know the 3+ mile ID Lighting for aircraft but I can't find even a reference to that for Hobby flying. Just trying to keep my regulations vs recommendations straight. I do respect both however.

No night restriction for hobby per se.
I think n-ster confused it with 107.

No night restriction for hobby per se.
I think n-ster confused it with 107.
That's what I was thinking as well. I also had already read the link posted previously.

....fireworks to see that there was also 8 drones circling the fireworks moving in and out and thru them taking photos and videos. ...

This would most likely fall under reckless behavior. Talk about recipe for being "That Guy"....

Reactions: Nickster
That's what I was thinking as well. I also had already read the link posted previously.

I know it is in there for 107 operations since that is in the 107 page for the FAA and one 107 pilots. I have seen it for hobby, but looking through the fireworks page, it must have been the PSA or in another spot I cannot find right now.

But the biggest thing everyone should see is if there is a TFR for the location with fireworks, regardless of if it is hobby or not. They are easy to read and tell you exactly what is allowed and not. If there is a TFR, you can still be found in violation if it violates that TFR. Some are very restrictive with no flight whatsoever, while others require additional coordination. It is all about safety. That is the point I am trying to get across with it. Same with the lighting at night. Safety should be everyone's 1st priority, in my opinion. Just because you may be able to do it doesn't mean you should due to safety of the flight. If you are flying in the middle of fireworks, especially professional ones, that is a huge safety risk both to the fireworks personnel, the drone operator, and people at the event due to possible collision. And the biggest thing with fireworks is they are at night, so it is easier to get disoriented with the drone and the fireworks.

Now, there are probably some drones up at locations for cities and folks with COAs and/or waivers. They have shown in those how they are going to safely conduct the operation and what their emergency procedures are to get those COAs or waivers. I know because I have had to and they are very restrictive sometimes.

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud with this, but like I said, I want everyone to be safe and enjoy these both as a hobby and/or professionally. They are great and you can get amazing footage from them. I love them and would hate to see any more regulations be imparted because of negligence.

Reactions: BigAl07
I completely agree with the safety consensus, no issues there at all. Just speaking of "fireworks" which is what this thread started with, I feel that it would be completely safe, following the guidelines and observing the safety precautions. I am not talking about flying anywhere within a mile of the activity itself. I would consider that a safe distance, as long as it meets the other criteria, ( Not over people, etc..).

So how exactly were these drones being unsafe? I dont see how anyone was put in danger. Personally I would have enjoyed seeing a bunch of drones flying in an out adding to the light show. The do look pretty cool at night.

I completely agree with the safety consensus, no issues there at all. Just speaking of "fireworks" which is what this thread started with, I feel that it would be completely safe, following the guidelines and observing the safety precautions. I am not talking about flying anywhere within a mile of the activity itself. I would consider that a safe distance, as long as it meets the other criteria, ( Not over people, etc..).

Perfect idea there Fly Dawg. Definitely want to be out of range of them or the smoke trail so you don't lose it in that. Following all guidelines and taking that into account would do it, in my opinion. Like BigAl said, no reckless op. This definitely avoids it.

Also, I bet if you talked with the people putting it on, they would love to see photos of them or video from the air. Just opens up the commercial side of it. I bet in the not to distant future, that is how we are going to see a lot of events, especially live streamed.

Take care and have a good weekend. Happy flying if you get out!

People are going to say I am wrong, but hobby use can only be done until the end of Civil Twilight (30 minutes after sunset) as well. This is because of the lighting on the drones and other factors. Drones do not have the proper lighting to be seen by other aircraft after dark. The LEDs do not meet what is needed to meet the 3+ mile identification lighting. You need to get specific extra lighting for that.!

You're wrong. Hobby flyers can fly at night and most drones have the proper lighting to meet AMA night flying standards.

I like to fly at night a lot so I also added these strobes: White on top, red on front, green on the back. They are unbelievably bright.
1s.jpg

Got them at:
STROBON Cree LED Strobe Light - Phantom Help

You're wrong. Hobby flyers can fly at night and most drones have the proper lighting to meet AMA night flying standards.

I like to fly at night a lot so I also added these strobes: White on top, red on front, green on the back. They are unbelievably bright.
1s.jpg

Got them at:

Not arguing about this anymore. We all put this to bed above. AMA requirements may be met but I would feel better knowing it met FAA also. Like I said above, safety 1st.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

1s.jpg

Got them at:

Got the same ones and most of my flying is in the night.

Perfect idea there Fly Dawg. Definitely want to be out of range of them or the smoke trail so you don't lose it in that. Following all guidelines and taking that into account would do it, in my opinion. Like BigAl said, no reckless op. This definitely avoids it.

Also, I bet if you talked with the people putting it on, they would love to see photos of them or video from the air. Just opens up the commercial side of it. I bet in the not to distant future, that is how we are going to see a lot of events, especially live streamed.

Take care and have a good weekend. Happy flying if you get out!
With all respect Nickster! You are wrong almost on every account you stated man. Totally being nice here too. The only thing you said that was close is that there are a lot of people around these events and you should never fly over there heads especially at night! But it is totally legal for a hobbyist to fly in the dark with lights that we have on our drones out of the box. And I truly believe that the FAA will eventually lighten up on this rule for 107 pilot too. And it should be. We are only at 400ft at night. We are not messing with manned aircraft at that altitude at all! This very issue is one of the main reasons that I have not went and passed the 107 yet. It's a dumb rule if you are using good common sense in what you are flying!

This would most likely fall under reckless behavior. Talk about recipe for being "That Guy"....
Why Al? Because of so many in air at one time? Curious? IMO if common sense is used and you check out your whole area before it gets dark and find out exactly where the people are you can be very safe at night. I flew two shows in two pretty small towns in my area. Flawless! I was the only up I believe. And your right with 8 up at one time the odds go up of a strike. But it would be very rare for them to do so if just a couple or so. And if they are not over people it should be good anyway. Common sense and good practice is possible! And again, I truly believe that the FAA will change this rule in the near future imo. I hope they do anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31