Complaint Vent and Concerns

Down here in Aus night flying cops a $9000 fine regardless of your licence or qualifications etc
Check the CASA regs

Thanks for that P2, but the context of the post was the USA/FAA.

I am aware laws differ around the globe and try to remain in context as much as possible.

DJI_0185 fb.jpg
I find it strange that a hobbyist can fly at night but a Part 107 holder can't.
Yeah I agree Phil! The only reason I have not taken the test yet tbo! This regulation should be and will be changed eventually imo. Can't get this shot in the daytime! LOL

Reactions: Phil56
View attachment 85314
Yeah I agree Phil! The only reason I have not taken the test yet tbo! This regulation should be and will be changed eventually imo. Can't get this shot in the daytime! LOL

Yep
You would expect the 107 holder to be considered more responsible due to having passed the test and therefore given more leeway.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
View attachment 85314

A hobbyist can fly at night while a 107 holder can't only bc of a quirk in the law that prohibited the FAA from regulating hobbyists that was on the books from before it was quite fathomed the impact that drones would have.

Just bc you get your 107 doesn't meant you have to fly as a 107 all the time. It means being a bit more conscious of tracking flights etc but if you are clearly flying as a hobbyist then that flight is as a hobbyist. Basically per all of the interpretations I have read you can be the same person flying the same AC on the same day at the same location and have one flight be as a hobbyist and another as a 107. You'd probably want to be a bit clearer than that in terms of separating flights :) but you get the gist.

A hobbyist can fly at night while a 107 holder can't only bc of a quirk in the law that prohibited the FAA from regulating hobbyists that was on the books from before it was quite fathomed the impact that drones would have.

Just bc you get your 107 doesn't meant you have to fly as a 107 all the time. It means being a bit more conscious of tracking flights etc but if you are clearly flying as a hobbyist then that flight is as a hobbyist. Basically per all of the interpretations I have read you can be the same person flying the same AC on the same day at the same location and have one flight be as a hobbyist and another as a 107. You'd probably want to be a bit clearer than that in terms of separating flights :) but you get the gist.
Yeah it's really just kinda of grey in this area tbo! No one knows for sure how to handle that hobbyist vs. 107 flights. I've heard the same thing. How in the heck are you going to discern what is for fun and what is for fire? Makes no sense at all to me. If I'm going up, I'm just gonna do what I do. Which is try to make cool cinematic stuff that I enjoy watching and getting. If someone wants to buy that that is great! LOL

Reactions: Phill2 and DaRana
Yeah it's really just kinda of grey in this area tbo! No one knows for sure how to handle that hobbyist vs. 107 flights. I've heard the same thing. How in the heck are you going to discern what is for fun and what is for fire? Makes no sense at all to me. If I'm going up, I'm just gonna do what I do. Which is try to make cool cinematic stuff that I enjoy watching and getting. If someone wants to buy that that is great! LOL

Truth.

I guess my only real point was that for me I didn't let it stop me from getting my 107. :)

EDIT: ++ on the nice shot. Now recreate it on Aug 21 during the eclipse! Since you are gonna have near totality there. :envy: :D

Truth.

I guess my only real point was that for me I didn't let it stop me from getting my 107. :)

EDIT: ++ on the nice shot. Now recreate it on Aug 21 during the eclipse! Since you are gonna have near totality there. :envy: :D
Thats awesome that you went ahead and got the 107! Question for ya! What kind of area do you live in? Small town or bigger city? Have you gotten a lot of paid work ect? How have you marketed it?

Reactions: DaRana
Thats awesome that you went ahead and got the 107! Question for ya! What kind of area do you live in? Small town or bigger city? Have you gotten a lot of paid work ect? How have you marketed it?

I live in a somewhat small town in a quiet-ish part of Connecticut, about an hr south of Boston and 2+hrs north of NYC and 30 mins from Hartford and we have major interstates. Let's see, Hartford is about 1/2 the size of Louisville so it's probably roughly equivalent to living in a private neighborhood out on the edge of Elizabethtown. For additional context, I do commercial photography but it isn't my only or main biz (main thing right now is a launching a fashion brand which doesn't leave a ton of time to do or pursue much other commercial work). Also, I only took the 107 test mid May and got the new drones in the last 5/6 weeks. Mavic April 27 and P4P mid june. So though I've been flying quads for years these are the first i've had that are remotely useful commercially and I've not done video commercially, so mostly been getting that stuff sort of figured out and workflows and such.

That said, I've done a couple small jobs. Right now at least it seems like we're really at an inflection point where people are becoming very aware of drones and I've had pretty much universally positive/excited replies. If I were to be trying to drum up more work it would be pretty easy, I think, if reasonably well marketed. As a test I pitched a package to the guy that does my lawn and his response was that he was actually going to ask me about it b/c he'd seen a couple pics I posted to facebook and was already thinking about how cool it would be. I'm doing a promotional commercial for social media usage for him in trade for services. I've added in a few drone clips and shots to a couple of commercial real estate gigs. I talked to a friend who is a highly successful realtor in the area a couple days ago, handful of other gigs. His reply?

"Drone Photos are a must in todays real estate market especially for higher end properties and I use them on most of my listings"
Only thing there is I think they pay for crap. :) The expectation doesn't seem to be for high end work - he said they shoot the drone + inside pics in <1hr and photoshop in blue skies and greener lawns. :)

I live in a somewhat small town in a quiet-ish part of Connecticut, about an hr south of Boston and 2+hrs north of NYC and 30 mins from Hartford and we have major interstates. Let's see, Hartford is about 1/2 the size of Louisville so it's probably roughly equivalent to living in a private neighborhood out on the edge of Elizabethtown. For additional context, I do commercial photography but it isn't my only or main biz (main thing right now is a launching a fashion brand which doesn't leave a ton of time to do or pursue much other commercial work). Also, I only took the 107 test mid May and got the new drones in the last 5/6 weeks. Mavic April 27 and P4P mid june. So though I've been flying quads for years these are the first i've had that are remotely useful commercially and I've not done video commercially, so mostly been getting that stuff sort of figured out and workflows and such.

That said, I've done a couple small jobs. Right now at least it seems like we're really at an inflection point where people are becoming very aware of drones and I've had pretty much universally positive/excited replies. If I were to be trying to drum up more work it would be pretty easy, I think, if reasonably well marketed. As a test I pitched a package to the guy that does my lawn and his response was that he was actually going to ask me about it b/c he'd seen a couple pics I posted to facebook and was already thinking about how cool it would be. I'm doing a promotional commercial for social media usage for him in trade for services. I've added in a few drone clips and shots to a couple of commercial real estate gigs. I talked to a friend who is a highly successful realtor in the area a couple days ago, handful of other gigs. His reply?

"Drone Photos are a must in todays real estate market especially for higher end properties and I use them on most of my listings"
Only thing there is I think they pay for crap. :) The expectation doesn't seem to be for high end work - he said they shoot the drone + inside pics in <1hr and photoshop in blue skies and greener lawns. :)
I def am hearing the same about real estate video and imaging on higher end homes. But again, we live in pretty small area to be drawing a lot of jobs like that. Prob have to travel a little more to get more of that. But there are def jobs with other things around here like the stone business and quarrying. They are now mining limestone underground in our area at a couple of sites. 100ft underground. Kinda cool. I just hope I can drum up some business with it as soon as I get the 107. Def looking for more commercial applications for sure!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31