Compass won't calibrate.

Reaction score
Recently came after being away for a week and thought I would go fly. Problem is compass won't calibrate. Keep getting compass error message in upper left corner of screen. Never had a problem here at my house before. Drone hasn't been flown in over 10 days and was put away with no problems. Thoughts or advice appreciated.

Which error message are you seeing?

Which error message are you seeing?
It's in red in upper left corner of DJI Go app where it would normally say Ready To Fly. It says Compass error move aircraft. Weird thing is I have never had a problem here at the house before I'm wondering what has changed I'm going to try going to a different area this morning to see if it is still doing it and if it does I'm not sure what to do other than contact DJI or possibly send it in I'm hoping that's not the case the Drone is only a month old

Try calibrating imu sensors first then a compass calibration, but do the compass calibration from the same screen as the imu calibrate. Not from the status screen After you calibrate compass it will ask you to restart aircraft I was having the same problem, seems to have fixed it self after I did this. Not sure if it was coincidence or what as I was getting no imu or sensor error.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Try calibrating imu sensors first then a compass calibration, but do the compass calibration from the same screen as the imu calibrate. Not from the status screen After you calibrate compass it will ask you to restart aircraft I was having the same problem, seems to have fixed it self after I did this. Not sure if it was coincidence or what as I was getting no imu or sensor error.

it's the strangest thing. I took my drone out into the wilderness turned it on and everything work fine. Came back to my house an hour later and Compass error message all over again. For some reason it doesn't like my house anymore. I wonder what has changed

it's the strangest thing. I took my drone out into the wilderness turned it on and everything work fine. Came back to my house an hour later and Compass error message all over again. For some reason it doesn't like my house anymore. I wonder what has changed

Ya I don't know ,I'm still relatively new to drones to, its obviously picking up some interference now at your house, has it been windy, what was the Kp index at , it really is baffleing sometimes

Ya I don't know ,I'm still relatively new to drones to, its obviously picking up some interference now at your house, has it been windy, what was the Kp index at , it really is baffleing sometimes

Yes, the wind has been really bad last few days. I've had higher winds before, but with no problems. Guess, maybe you're right. it is picking interference now that it wasn't before. I'm just glad it's not a hardware issue and I have to send it in. Thanks for your help.

It's in red in upper left corner of DJI Go app where it would normally say Ready To Fly. It says Compass error move aircraft.
Where exactly are you standing when you see the error? What happens when you walk away from that location?

Maybe an electrical appliance in your home has been moved (TV, Microwave, Wi-Fi router or similar), or maybe something was switched ON and being used at home that was not switched on before (freezer motor)? As indicated above it really looks like a specific to a limited location, try going to another part of your yard or just a bit away from where you were setting up at home. I had a 'similar' problem with a metal fence once.

As msinger suggested, can you isolate the area where the inteference occurred? I live in a steel framed/clad house and never have an issue. If I launch anywhere near my European car, instant compass error, launch near my Japanese car, no problems. Obviously one is made of steel and the other is made of recycled meat trays.

Where exactly are you standing when you see the error? What happens when you walk away from that location?
I used to have intermittent trouble in the house, but now in the driveway, in the street and across the street in a small grass field. Never had trouble before outside. There are power lines about 40 yds away, but again never had trouble before and now it just seems the aircraft doesn't like anywhere on my street no matter what you are standing beside. Was just curious what had changed. Went out again in the wilderness today and all was well.

That's very strange. Are you sure there is not some type of magnetic metal on your person that is near the compass?

I thought about that. Took my phone and put back in the house. I had the same clothes on later when i went out to forest area and everything was perfect. I went to multiple spots all over outside. Out front and along the street and small grass field across the street is where I spent the first week or so just learning to fly and operate the drone. Someone mentioned earlier about strong winds. Pretty windy last 2 days with some storms coming in from the west. Had some very windy days in the past and with no problems. Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but does anyone feel a change in wind direction cause a difference in any type of electrical interference in the area? As long as I'm not at home now, all is fine and I'm just glad that nothing is wrong with the Drone but I am curious about this situation and enjoying the feedback and conversation with you all

does anyone feel a change in wind direction cause a difference in any type of electrical interference in the area?
No. There had to be some kind of interference close to the compass.

Reactions: rlphoto69

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl