Compass Error whilst in Flight

If you haven't seen this post yet, it's a great overview of the compass and calibrating:
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

My thoughts are that once I have a successful calibration in a known good (not magnetically influenced) area, I don't then recalibrate. Like I said earlier, I don't even remember the last time I calibrated.

It's possible to get a successful calibration in a bad (magnetically influence) area which would result in erratic flight once your P3 was launched and left the bad area. I choose to not risk that happening since I already have a known good calibration. I hope that makes some sense.

I try to steer away from this subject as much as possible. But since you posted the link, I do want to add that we now have much different technology now since the info in that thread was originally written. Anyone that flew either the P1 or P2's prior to the P3's know the characteristics are greatly improved.

I went through 3 P2's in 4-months and 4 total by 10-months. The P3 came out and after 1 1/2yrs I still have that same P3 using the original props. It has been through a ton of beta testing for dji the 1st 6-months until I stopped working with them.

Last edited:
I had a sudden compass error when my P3 was 700M away and 100M up.

No idea why but when I brought it back it cleared just before I landed.

I've noticed you mentioned compass issues a few times now recently. What's going on?

I posted my thread hoping that someone may have discovered a resolution to this problem that I had not picked up, having done search first of this forum first. You people are very helpful and understanding to old-timers like me and newbies.

I have a Phantom 3 Pro, I fly regularly but since updating the Go App I have been getting compass errors whilst in flight so I bring it back and land - so I am a little nervous about flying at the moment. I fly with iPhone 5s with all the latest firmware updates (including iOS 10.0.02). I have done IMU and Gimble calibrations. I go to to an open space and compass calibrate the aircraft. I have not had any crashes and I look after my equipment fastidiously. Can anybody throw any light on my problem please.
So my compass went out on my p3p and it wouldn't even let me calibrate. I went to the sensors tab while connected and noticed there were zero's across the board in the compass category. I replaced the compass ($15) and calibrated. Quick, inexpensive and easy fix if that's what you're experiencing as well.

I will have first try a few other things first but that might be worth considering. Many thanks

Another question for you two respected members. Is there not a way to format the firmware and then re-install the latest and secondly is it possible to over re-calibrate the aircraft compass - I mean by that when you take off from different locations I got into the good or bad habit of doing that.

I don't think you can harm the craft by calibrating the compass no matter how many times you do it. To get a good calibration you need to be in a good area.

I have the latest FW and Go app but I don't use Go. I use Litchi. I only had a minor issue with compass error. It seemed to be more with how I started things up. If I started the RC then the Phantom and let it sit for a minute and then connect the tablet I did not have any issues. The last 10-12 flight I have had 0 issues.

I don't think you can harm the craft by calibrating the compass no matter how many times you do it. To get a good calibration you need to be in a good area.

I have the latest FW and Go app but I don't use Go. I use Litchi. I only had a minor issue with compass error. It seemed to be more with how I started things up. If I started the RC then the Phantom and let it sit for a minute and then connect the tablet I did not have any issues. The last 10-12 flight I have had 0 issues.
I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks very much.

I had an inflight compass error yesterday! My bird was at 400ft and range of about half a mile. I had just hit rth and it started. Had to switch to atti.

Managed to bring her back safely but was a nervous 5 mins or so especially as half way back the batt low alarm started.

I would say this as a plus... i realised how little i fly in atti mode and it is a weakness which i now have to work on incase i have this issue or similar again. I dont want to loose by bird because i cant fly her manually!!!

Last edited:
Another question for you two respected members. Is there not a way to format the firmware and then re-install the latest and secondly is it possible to over re-calibrate the aircraft compass - I mean by that when you take off from different locations I got into the good or bad habit of doing that.
Current thought (supported by DJI) is to NOT continually recalibrate the compass. if you need it, do one careful cal when you first get your bird, then leave it alone, even if you make a major change in location. If you get a compass error when you fire up, assume that it is the location, not the compass. There could be unknown metal in the area, especially if you are in a new location. Move the bird until you get clear then fly.

Gonna throw in here, I mounted a tracker to the leg of the quad with cable ties, during flight it must have moved ever so slightly, this resulted in a compass error, scary as I was out at 7500ft, when I initiated RTH of course it failed so I switched to ATTI mode and got it home real fast. Lesson learnt and a proper tracker basket purchased

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had an inflight compass error yesterday! My bird was at 400ft and range of about half a mile. I had just hit rth and it started. Had to switch to atti.

Managed to bring her back safely but was a nervous 5 mins or so especially as half way back the batt low alarm started.

I would say this as a plus... i realised how little i fly in atti mode and it is a weakness which i now have to work on incase i have this issue or similar again. I dont want to loose by bird because i cant fly her manually!!!
One of the reasons that I still take my Syma X8HC out every now and then. It's flying in atti mod all the time (holds altitude, but not position).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic