Compass error. Exit p-gps mode

Reaction score
Hello. I’m new in DJI... I buy a used DJI phantom 4k... notice some problems with compass. It’s saying “compass error exit p-gps mode” or something like that... what can I do?
I did compass cal and IMU cal. but it didn’t help.

Hello. I’m new in DJI... I buy a used DJI phantom 4k... notice some problems with compass. It’s saying “compass error exit p-gps mode” or something like that... what can I do?
I did compass cal and IMU cal. but it didn’t help.
Are you getting that message in different locations, well away from steel or reinforced concrete?
If so, go into the app settings for Sensors to see what that shows for the compass.
If the compass is disconnected, it will show zero and bring up the compass error message.

btw, you'll need to fully charge the battery before flying.

Reactions: Capt KO
Welcome to the Forum!

To add to already posted, watch where the front of Phantom is actually pointing in relation to the the red pointer in the map window.

Rod

First thing .... get out of town ... find a nice open farm field ... power up and see what it says then.

Forget driveways, roads, sports fields, gardens etc. (most of those have pipes / cables / works under that can affect your compass) - we need a clean area free of any magnetic influences.
It is not wise to keep calibrating compass to try and remove error ... as most errors are external and its matter of moving even a few metres is often enough. If you calibrate - you can be setting an error rather than solving it.

If you still get error ... then it may be the Compass has been calibrated in bad area ... re-calibrate in this clean area. If that cures it - you do not need to calibrate again unless modifications / repairs made to the P3. If it does not - then something is wrong.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Actually I did fly with drone... when I did calibrations It’s ok and can fly... when I fly away from me (pointing camera away) is everything ok. Then when I turn around the problem starts... and if I again turn around (away from me) the dron then is ok again...

I live out off city... so I live in open area:)

OK ... we can check the area you are using ....

If you have an Orienteering (Mapping) Compass ... stand at side of field. Identify a mark on other side that a line passes through your take-off home point back to where you stand.
Now walk in straight line towards that mark watching the compass for any deflection as you pass through your proposed take-off point. If the 'needle' stays similar as you walk - then its 99% certain its a 'clean area' ... but if the 'needle' skitters or deflects as you pass through - then its not.

I know there will be some that will not believe above - but it works. Of course you don't do this for every location !! But in the case of diagnostics to find out if your P3 is at fault - it can help.

Looking again at your screen photo .... I see a large building nearby ... indicates to me that you are possibly in garden ?

Can you try somewhere else ?

OK ... we can check the area you are using ....

If you have an Orienteering (Mapping) Compass ... stand at side of field. Identify a mark on other side that a line passes through your take-off home point back to where you stand.
Now walk in straight line towards that mark watching the compass for any deflection as you pass through your proposed take-off point. If the 'needle' stays similar as you walk - then its 99% certain its a 'clean area' ... but if the 'needle' skitters or deflects as you pass through - then its not.

I know there will be some that will not believe above - but it works. Of course you don't do this for every location !! But in the case of diagnostics to find out if your P3 is at fault - it can help.
I did try this method... needle is in the same position... so the area is “clean” :)

Can you post a screen shot or screen video of the IMU page where compass numbers are shown in their boxes ?

Yes they do fluctuate ... but should average out ...

Now others can see the numbers and comment on what they would expect to see ...

Reactions: Remsak94
In my case they don’t average out... they always fluctuate...

Sorry what I meant ... the numbers fluctuate either side of a mean ....

Firmware is not as I believe any solution to this and certainly not for most problems people have. It only adds to the overall mess and leaves questions as to what actually is the cause.

If the location you are trying to fly in actually is 'clean' and you yourself have removed all metal from your pockets etc. - you calibrate the Compass - what is end result ? Does it complete and say all OK ?
If not - then there is in my honest opinion - a fault in the compass installation itself.

I think if calibration doesn't resolve - I might consider replacing the compass itself.

Firmware is not as I believe any solution to this and certainly not for most problems people have. It only adds to the overall mess and leaves questions as to what actually is the cause.

If the location you are trying to fly in actually is 'clean' and you yourself have removed all metal from your pockets etc. - you calibrate the Compass - what is end result ? Does it complete and say all OK ?
If not - then there is in my honest opinion - a fault in the compass installation itself.

I think if calibration doesn't resolve - I might consider replacing the compass itself.
This is my short flight so that you will see what going on...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31