Newby - Part 107 - Best Study Site/Materials?

I took RemotePilot101 and read the study guide and missed 3 questions.

I will say though that out of the 63 questions I had, I only recognized 2 from Remotpilot101.

You can't rely on just one source.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Rayb27
I took RemotePilot101 and read the study guide and missed 3 questions.

I will say though that out of the 63 questions I had, I only recognized 2 from Remotpilot101.

You can't rely on just one source.

Thanks! You missed 3 questions on the Actual Exam?
Did you have any prior knowledge of flying in any way?

:screamcat:That's not real encouraging......I've got the RP101 course, the FAA Study guide and am going to get the Gold Seal UAV Course and also look at other misc free sources. Hoping I can pass with that........

Yes I missed 3. One on performance, one on marijuana (I guess if you are convicted of possession then they can take your privileges away) and the last one what document must present when asked by an FAA person. I chose remote pilots certificate and it also says that in the PTL reference they gave me, but apparently that is wrong according the the test.

Congrats! Last September I passed w 95%, but I recognized about 90% of the questions from the practise exams and topics covered by remotepilot101.com . I agree, don't put all your eggs in just one basket, but it's still a very good basket [emoji41]

FWIW, Jason is saying he's raising tuition (what a golden goose), so if you're going to testing Part 7 soon, I'd get that lifetime course now for $99 while you can.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I PASSED - 85%

I only used:
  • RemotePilot101 - studied for 5 evenings (3 hours each) and about 12 hrs. Saturday & 12 hrs. Sunday (Was consistently missing zero or one on the practice quiz)
  • FAA Study Guide (only read it once)
However, I'm still plan on getting the Gold Seal to learn all I can..........It looks like a great course as well.
It is a hard test. The questions are very tricky and worded to make you second guess yourself.........I had maybe three questions that were directly from RemotePilot101, but the concepts were there. I only had 2 questions on METAR's & TAF's., about a dozen questions with maps, airspace questions, finding CT Frequencies, height of a lighted tower, Latitude & Longitude on question on stable air, one question on unstable air and misc.....and a few questions that I couldn't tell you what they were........... I really can't remember any of the questions specifically. My mind went blank when I completed it, just like a weight lifted off me.

After the test, you can review the ones you missed, but you can't see the answer you gave or the right answer.

In closing: Can you pass the test with the FAA Study Guide and RemotePilot101? You better get the concepts

Thank you all for your comments and time......Wishing you all the best of luck!

Remote Pilot Ray

I'm making a list of study material and will be signing up for one of the courses (RemotePilot 101 or Gold Seal) this week. Some of my material is the FAA site and I just ordered the Remote Pilot Test Prep book from Amazon. I don't know anything about this material. I read some of the threads and feel like people are speaking a difference language. Generally, how long do most people take to prepare and is there anything else I should be reading? I don't want to memorize answers to pass the test. I want to know the material to be confident that I'll pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of sounding dumb, I was under the impression RPC and Part 107 were 2 different things.
Im exploring doing drone photography as a business, what exactly do I need? Just the drone pilot certificate?

RPIC stands for Remote Pilot in command. It's what the FAA calls a Remote Pilot who is operating an aircraft. Part 107 is the section of the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations) that provide the oversight of commercial "drone" operations.When you pass the FAA's Part 107 knowledge test and submit your application to the FAA you become a Remote Pilot.

Reactions: BigAl07
Gold Seal did the trick for me. I knew very little when I began studying but followed the course exactly the way it was laid out. Not only did Gold Seal adequately prepare me for the test but I genuinely feel like I understand and am retaining the concepts.

Gold Seal did the trick for me. I knew very little when I began studying but followed the course exactly the way it was laid out. Not only did Gold Seal adequately prepare me for the test but I genuinely feel like I understand and am retaining the concepts.
Thanks, Rock. Congrats on passing your exam and thank you for the kind words!

Reactions: rock0305
I just took and passed my Part 107 course yesterday, thanks to Gold Seal! I found their course here in the forums and decided to buy it and spend plenty time learning the materials and concepts. The practice quizzes and practice tests were a huge learning tool and they have been very responsive and helpful.

I can not recommend Gold Seal enough. It is well worth it to have a solid resource backed with a great reputation and the materials are presented in an easy to assimilate way. You WILL pass if you take your time with this great course.

Reactions: N42742 and BigAl07
I just took and passed my Part 107 course yesterday, thanks to Gold Seal! I found their course here in the forums and decided to buy it and spend plenty time learning the materials and concepts. The practice quizzes and practice tests were a huge learning tool and they have been very responsive and helpful.

I can not recommend Gold Seal enough. It is well worth it to have a solid resource backed with a great reputation and the materials are presented in an easy to assimilate way. You WILL pass if you take your time with this great course.
Thanks, Terkel! Much appreciated. Just remember though, we provided the guidance, but you get all the credit for your hard work. Congrats!

Thanks, Terkel! Much appreciated. Just remember though, we provided the guidance, but you get all the credit for your hard work. Congrats!
Thanks for your reply Gold Seal!

I have been a technical instructor myself (Apple, iOS, OS X/macOS) for more than 15 years and I teach CLE courses for a number of legal entities and the FL Bar. I appreciate how well the UAS course was put together and I know that it's not easy to construct complex materials to be delivered in an easy to understand format to be most effective. You guys nailed it! Ruddell makes the modules easy to understand and uses excellent illustrations to clarify things that are a bit confusing to the newbies.

Now, as I begin exploring adding 'drone pilot' to my resumé, I truly appreciate the quality product that Gold Seal delivered in getting this off the ground for me. I would tell anyone taking the course to not rush through it, don't just try and memorize answers - instead, take a few weeks or even more, as I did, and learn the concepts behind everything. You need to understand this stuff for practice in the real world, not just to get over the hump of passing the 107 test. This defines the difference between someone just wanting to jump out there and a truly professional approach. Gold Seal can get you started to being the professional you want to be if you take advantage of what they offer.

Very well said @TerKelDing

Can I get you to write a testimony for one of my companies? LOL! That's perfectly written IMHO.

Reactions: TerKelDing
Very well said @TerKelDing

Can I get you to write a testimony for one of my companies? LOL! That's perfectly written IMHO.
Thanks Big Al! Well, I am a writer for tech and legal journals so I tend to get a little heavy on the details sometimes but in this case, just calling it as I see it! Gold Seal did a great job with taking me from having literally zero real knowledge about this stuff and giving me the tools to learn everything I needed to not just pass the Part 107, but also come away with a much, much better understanding of UAS operation and th aviation industry as a whole.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic