Newby - Part 107 - Best Study Site/Materials?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm wanting to take the Part 107 test and have NO knowledge of flying, weather, airspace, etc........but am confident can learn.

What is the best online site to get training and/or study materials?

I've read the Remote Pilot – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide guide from the FAA website and am studying it again. However, I think I'm going to need more than the FAA study guide to get me through it.

Thank you for you help!

There is now a UAS remote pilot book you can get on Amazon. I already wrote the test but now my husband is interested. It was a thorough exam so know your airspace, weather trends, sectional and situational awareness etc. the test is 60 questions and you'll need 70% to pass. I would check out FAA.gov and download aeronautical handbook and a few other freebies they have uploaded. Also get a new FARAIM 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Rayb27
Thank you!
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Drone Pilot Ground School or UAV Coach? (These are the same, right? They're different sites.....)

Is there enough training and information in these alone to pass the 107 test for someone who has no knowledge of the test topics and must learn it all?

Last edited:
Thanks Roadking.......I just saw their site earlier and have been looking at this forum to see what others have said. All the comments look to be positive and have shortened the study time for some folks. Looks really enticing.......I've been watching youtube videos of RemotePilot101.com too and they look to do a good job of explaining......Thanks again!

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. It can be a little intimidating starting off at ground zero, so to say. I'm wanting to study and take the test by the end of February. I'm thinking I'm going to get the Remote Pilot 101 study videos, order the book and study hard.

Here's a direct link to a free practice test. Give it a try and see how you do. It's a good example of the type of material that will be on your FAA exam.

FAA Part 107 Ground School

RemotePilot101 is highly recommended here. The course, supplemented by practice tests and information from the FAA site, is plenty of information to pass the 107.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback...........

1. I've read the FAA PDF Study Guides (just a first read, no deep - stop & think kind of study).
  2. I've watched numerous Youtube videos.
  3. I bought the RemotePilot101.com study material, and watched each video once.
  4. I'm now going back through each RP101 video, paying closer attention, taking notes and learning.

It seems to be getting easier to remember and understand the details and concepts. However, I'm still having trouble with some things, but I'm learning. I really like the RemotePilot101 videos, but I'm afraid everything I'll need to know won't be in the RP101 videos.

Can the RemotePilot101 course be used as the only study aid for taking and passing the test?
Has anyone without any flying knowledge at all, used ONLY RemotePilot101 and passed the test?

I'm getting excited now........I plan to study 2 or 3 hours every night and all day Saturday & all day Sunday and take the test within a couple of weeks....... :blush:

Any additional thoughts, advice or pep talks anyone can give me..........Hope you all are doing well!

"but I'm afraid everything I'll need to know won't be in the RP101 videos"

You would be correct...it isn't. The RP101 is light in some areas, such as principles/aerodynamics of flight and aeronautical decision-making. Supplement RP101 with other materials, such as the FAA handbooks.

You would be correct...it isn't. The RP101 is light in some areas, such as principles/aerodynamics of flight and aeronautical decision-making. Supplement RP101 with other materials, such as the FAA handbooks.

Thank you! I have taken the first three practice tests in RP101 and some of the questions they ask are not covered in their own videos (unless I just missed them), so I will definitely study additional materials. GREAT COURSE though! I love the videos and tests. I have a long way to go, but I definitely have more confidence than I had and will be studying all weekend.

It took all last night, and all day today, but I watched all the videos on RemotePilot101 and made my own study guides for each topic in PowerPoint. (about 185 slides)......Yeah!

I've been taking each practice test individually & missing an average of 8 questions each time I go through them, but I get better each time; partially from memory.

I plan on taking the Final Exam on RP101 tomorrow & see how I do............My target is to take the test by February 15, 2017

People tend to gravitate to the cheapest option. Works great for some folks, not so well for others. Take a look at Gold Seal. With the promo-code (below), it's only slightly more expensive and you will definitely get a more full-featured program. There's a sample FAA quiz you can access right from the homepage without even registering. And if you register, you can continue in, see the ENTIRE layout, and take the first three lessons without charge.

www.UAVGroundSchool.com

People tend to gravitate to the cheapest option. Works great for some folks, not so well for others. Take a look at Gold Seal. With the promo-code (below), it's only slightly more expensive and you will definitely get a more full-featured program. There's a sample FAA quiz you can access right from the homepage without even registering. And if you register, you can continue in, see the ENTIRE layout, and take the first three lessons without charge.

www.UAVGroundSchool.com

Thank you! I did chose the more inexpensive option for the reasons of being less money. However, I was looking at Gold Seal last night and am planning on doing it as well. I want to make sure I learn all I can and have everything covered. Going with both sites will give me well rounded knowledge and from two different perspectives as well. I so want to pass this on the FIRST take.........I'm pushing myself to take it in the next two weeks.

Thank you! I did chose the more inexpensive option for the reasons of being less money. However, I was looking at Gold Seal last night and am planning on doing it as well. I want to make sure I learn all I can and have everything covered. Going with both sites will give me well rounded knowledge and from two different perspectives as well. I so want to pass this on the FIRST take.........I'm pushing myself to take it in the next two weeks.

Roger that. And if complete the Gold Seal course before taking your test you can qualify for our "You Pass or We Pay" guarantee. Good insurance to have. Best of luck to you.

Roger that. And if complete the Gold Seal course before taking your test you can qualify for our "You Pass or We Pay" guarantee. Good insurance to have. Best of luck to you.

Do you think if I master all three of these, I'll have a high probability of passing the actual exam?
  • RemotePilot101 (already have it)
  • The Gold Seal (registered, but not enrolled)
  • The FAA Study Guide (have read it, but need to study it more)
I know every test is different and the actual test may be more in-depth. However, I'm thinking that the two together should cover what the other one missed. Sorry to be a pain.....

I can't speak for the others, but if you master Gold Seal you >will< pass the FAA exam. No ifs, ands, or buts necessary. You pass or we pay. So far, never had to pay for anyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20