Colorado State Parks

Reaction score
I'm camping in one of Colorado's beautiful parks this weekend and brought the P3A. Unsure of the "rules" (even though I looked thru every CRS) I stopped a ranger to ask, expecting him to tell me I couldn't fly. He surprised me by pointing out all sorts of areas, basically any large, open area. Also said over the reservoir would be great right at dusk, just to use good judgment. He gave me his card just in case any of his fellow Rangers "gave me any trouble".

Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone wondering.

One of the good rangers who understand that consumer drones don't kill millions of people every day. It should be this way in most place... as long as you don't bother anyone, they don't mind if you fly. It only makes sense.

I'm camping in one of Colorado's beautiful parks this weekend and brought the P3A. Unsure of the "rules" (even though I looked thru every CRS) I stopped a ranger to ask, expecting him to tell me I couldn't fly. He surprised me by pointing out all sorts of areas, basically any large, open area. Also said over the reservoir would be great right at dusk, just to use good judgment. He gave me his card just in case any of his fellow Rangers "gave me any trouble".

I live at Green Mountain Reservoir.

Reactions: SanCap
I always say...

Hi beautiful day huh? Gimme all your money NOW! Oops wrong line...

Hi Beautiful day huh? I was wondering if you have any rules in place for aerial photography here? (small talk )

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes. My understanding is that drones are currently prohibited from all U.S. National Parks and any lands they administer, but are allowed in the National Forests (upper-case intentional) and state forests and parks. However, here in Georgia, Stone Mountain state park specifically prohibits them, but Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of Central Park) welcomes them with open arms! It's worth asking if you're unsure.

Last edited:
P.S. And in a very quirky administrative decision, drones are prohibited from the entire length of the Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine. The trail is just a few feet wide in most places. But it crosses over some of the most beautiful mountain tops in the East. So hopefully, the National Park Service will straighten all of this out by the end of the year!

Last edited:
Great to know as I live just a few short miles from Cherry Creek State Park!!!!

Yes. My understanding is that drones are currently prohibited from all U.S. National Parks and any lands they administer, but are allowed in the National Forests (upper-case intentional) and state forests and parks. However, here in Georgia, Stone Mountain state park specifically prohibits them, but Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of Central Park) welcomes them with open arms! It's worth asking if you're unsure.

I live in TX and I tried going to a State park yesterday afternoon to fly and film the hill country. The Ranger told me as of last week, they had a meeting and were no longer going to allow UAV's in the park. He was unable to state as to why they are moving in that direction. I was very polite and we had a good conversation about airspace and local land laws. But what I got out of it was, I could NOT launch my uav on park property. If I wanted to fly and film I would have to take off from somewhere else off property then fly over the park to film. I wanted to fly so bad, but I respect the request and enjoy our family of fliers and didn't want to push the loop holes to give our hobby a bad vibe on bending rules (even though its not law yet). I will try another state park in a few weeks to see if I get the same reaction.

Reactions: sgf
I think in general, you will find that if there isn't anyone around (ie, big National Forests) then UAV flights won't be hampered (much), but, if there is a significant concentration of people (or animals) like a campground, a National Park or some other tourist attraction, flights will be banned or limited. It's really much easier to ban the flights than to get into arguments about what is safe or appropriate. And easy does it.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
WetDog is right. It's just easier for someone who deals with the public to simply say no on the spot, rather than risk a reprimand or worse from someone above them in their corporate hierarchy.

I've re-checked since my original comment. The National Parks, and all lands they administer, are absolutely out.

Everything else is up to local authorities. At Cannon Mountain NH, on state land, there's a blanket no-drone policy. Yet at Mt. Mansfield VT, also on state land, they have a very-intelligently written drone policy that allows flights over parking lots (where there are no cars) and other non-populated places, but not over ski-lift machinery, buildings, or active ski trails (in winter).

Last edited:

Thats awesome! Thanks for the info! I will be flying into Colorado Springs today and hoping to get some great shots and video somewhere without being harrassed. If you have any tips or recommendation, I would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike from Houston
4/23/2016

Thats awesome! Thanks for the info! I will be flying into Colorado Springs today and hoping to get some great shots and video somewhere without being harrassed. If you have any tips or recommendation, I would greatly appreciated.

Stay away from the Air Force Academy

Colorado local here. I would love to get into RMNP but obviously not allowed to fly there. Ive found the area adjacent to the south has some AMAZING filming locations (Indian Peaks WIlderness Area) if you're up for a hike.

I've flown unmolested and with expressed consent from rangers in Colorado State Parks. I was (mis-) informed last weekend by an employee at Remote Control Hobbies - Littleton,Co. that drones were banned in all Colorado State Parks. I've had several unhappy experiences there. Just sayin'.

I've flown unmolested and with expressed consent from rangers in Colorado State Parks. I was (mis-) informed last weekend by an employee at Remote Control Hobbies - Littleton,Co. that drones were banned in all Colorado State Parks. I've had several unhappy experiences there. Just sayin'.
Heyy, can you tell me where I can fly without getting in trouble near Boulder /Denver?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31