Cold weather ops

Reaction score
I'm in Arizona and have a few projects coming up in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. I've read about battery life issues and keeping the batteries warm before flight. I expect temps in the 15-25 F range.
What other issues should I watch for ?

I'm in Arizona and have a few projects coming up in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. I've read about battery life issues and keeping the batteries warm before flight. I expect temps in the 15-25 F range.
What other issues should I watch for ?

The most important thing you can do is to seal the battery so that the cold air does not get in from behind it. We sell the Phantom Rain Wet Suits and they are designed to seal the battery from the cold and the water among other things , you might consider getting one for your phantom 4 series drone as it will make a world of difference in flying your drone in frigid weather. We have clients in Alaska surveying Glaciers in 30 below weather and swear by the Wet Suits as they are made from Closed Cell Neoprene and keep the warmth in.
Phantomrain.org They also allow you much better visual with your drone in the sky.

You can check out are trailer here. It was shot 12 degree below you can skip thru the rain footage as the ice and snow is past that, We also have some hail ice and wet snow footage on the are site.

Find some good gloves that you can use with a touchscreen. I flew at 10 degrees last week and just found a guy who went 5000’ feet at -10 with no issues. (Minnesota)
The battery heats up enough to fly just fine. The key is having everything at room temperature (70?) before you go out.

Yeah that is some good advice keeping the battery at room temp ,, check out this picture sent to us from Alaska using the Phantom Rain Wet Suit in 30 below of the Dali Sheep way high up on the mountain.
Very cool, if you flying in sport mode you have to get that battery to seal to stop the cold air form seeping in on the entire drone. The best way to do that is with the Wet Suit . I love how deer and rams,ducks and birds have no fear of the drone but I cannot say that for cats.. love that.
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 12.55.49 PM.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4