Close Encounter With A Helicopter!

Well I agree about safe operation to be conditional. But the generalization is simply untrue.
Living in S. Fla I can tell you a 500ft flight off-shore and along the beach is spectacular. In that case there is near zero risk of surprises and if my vision allowed I'd still be doing it.

Reactions: BigAl07
Well I agree about safe operation to be conditional. But the generalization is simply untrue.
Living in S. Fla I can tell you a 500ft flight off-shore and along the beach is spectacular. In that case there is near zero risk of surprises and if my vision allowed I'd still be doing it.

There was a time in my flying logs that most of my flights (probably 90%) were less than 900' AGL!! For transparency I live in a very rural area.

For some awesome low level flying examples check out my friend Trent Palmer's YT page
My Favorite Flying Adventures - YouTube

Below is a great video demonstrating some awesome flights they did last fall:

We've been flying low & safe for years so just because we have a new tech on the game board doesn't mean the rules need to be re-written to satisfy our craving to fly our recreational toys. We are literally the low players on the totem pole and I don't see that changing.

While we feel like we have great #'s on our side keep in mind that if there is a sUAS to manned aircraft incident and we see loss of life you can bet your bottom dollar which side of the argument regulation is going to come crashing down on (pun intended).

A google search found this:

"Under little-known federal regulations passed in 1963, moored balloons and kites cannot be flown within five miles of an airport or more than 500 feet off the ground. The rules do not apply to balloons or kites that are flown below the top of a building."

Do those limits sound familiar?

Sad someone almost got hurt due to their ignorance.

My flight instructor always drilled me, if you lost your engine right now, what would you do? I try and apply that mentality when I’m flying my drone. Always planning ahead. Stay ahead of your aircraft at all times. Once you’re unprepared, it’s almost impossible to get back ahead of the situation should it develop into an emergency situation. Understandably it’s not always a controllable situation flying a drone. I mean if you lose connection with the control you’re at the mercy of the drone itself. Just try not to be in a situation where someone could get hurt but that’s oftentimes impossible.

Reactions: xspwhite
A google search found this:

"Under little-known federal regulations passed in 1963, moored balloons and kites cannot be flown within five miles of an airport or more than 500 feet off the ground. The rules do not apply to balloons or kites that are flown below the top of a building."

Do those limits sound familiar?

Sad someone almost got hurt due to their ignorance.

Moored balloon (Fat Albert) flew over Florida keys for 33yrs @ 14,000 MSL and within 5 miles of two private airports. Only one pictured here, the other is underneath ruler. This sectional is from August 31st 2006
IMG_0411.jpg

Blimp (Fat Albert) History – BigPineKey.com

Moored balloon (Fat Albert) flew over Florida keys for 33yrs @ 14,000 MSL and within 5 miles of two private airports. Only one pictured here, the other is underneath ruler. This sectional is from August 31st 2006
View attachment 108497

Blimp (Fat Albert) History – BigPineKey.com

That's wild you mentioned this... a dear friend of mine was an e-tech on those several years ago. I know at least one plane got into the line and the plane didn't survive (nor occupants).

Back in the day when I flew to Key West I made sure to stay far south of the area. Never felt easy flying close as I probably would not have seen the tethered until to late.
Do you happen to know the N#, I’d like to look it up on the NTSB and read about it.

So I’m shooting some video of the beach at 200’ and here comes this sight seeing helicopter straight at my drone! Full stick down and got out of his way but geez! He was breaking the 500’ rule for aircraft! He was no higher than 200’! I saw him coming and kept thinking no way, he can’t be that low! Got to stay on your toes at all times.

Yes you do, that’s why drone pilots have to follow the see and avoid rules.

He doesn't need to say he was flying a drone. Just say that he is Part 107 certified and knows the FAA regulations and that helo was in clear violation. To them, he is just another person enjoying the beach.
They’re sometimes going to fly low, he was over the water. Here in Los Angeles the law enforcement is always flying low, you just have to keep your eyes and ears scanning all the time and get out of the way. Just the way it is. No big deal.

So I’m shooting some video of the beach at 200’ and here comes this sight seeing helicopter straight at my drone! Full stick down and got out of his way but geez! He was breaking the 500’ rule for aircraft! He was no higher than 200’! I saw him coming and kept thinking no way, he can’t be that low! Got to stay on your toes at all times.
I had a close call with a light plane. He was flying very low.
http://dennisfrantz.com/start/NearMiss/nmL.mp4

Was there an airstrip in the area? He looks like he might’ve been coming to land, and if he wasn’t he was flying really low.
Was there an airstrip in the area? He looks like he might’ve been coming to land, and if he wasn’t he was flying really low.
He was just flying low over the lake. Here are the coordinates.
30.385032, -95.599226

He was just flying low over the lake. Here are the coordinates.
30.385032, -95.599226

The closest airstrip is 3 miles to the east Flying Hare STOL . Google Maps I’m sure he wasn’t going there, at least not at the altitude he was flying. I’m sure he got you by surprise as it looks he was low and probably not to fast. You would never expect an airplane to be flying lower than you and you look to be at 200 or so.
That would of definitely got me shaken up and calling it a day. Glad nothing happen.
Looks like he was at about 100 ft
IMG_0420.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4