Close Encounter With A Helicopter!

Reaction score
So I’m shooting some video of the beach at 200’ and here comes this sight seeing helicopter straight at my drone! Full stick down and got out of his way but geez! He was breaking the 500’ rule for aircraft! He was no higher than 200’! I saw him coming and kept thinking no way, he can’t be that low! Got to stay on your toes at all times.

Probably had one or more of the passengers telling him (or her) to fly lower so the could wave at their friends on the beach.

He made several more passes over the next hour or so until it got dark. Flew the same course and altitude each time. Being a commercial operation I’m not sure how they get away with it. There were several people on the beach and in the water. All of which he is supposed to stay more than 500’ away from.

Reactions: BlackCat
This has happened to me twice now. On different places. When I asked about it, I was told somewhere in these forums that Helos are exempt to the minimum height as long as they have the proper permit. I don't know the regulations for helicopters, so I can't agree or deny that statement. I just see one and down I go.

You could contact the sightseeing company and express your concern, but they may tell you that you are in the same boat by flying yours over the same crowd. Either way, a dilemma.

You could contact the sightseeing company and express your concern, but they may tell you that you are in the same boat by flying yours over the same crowd. Either way, a dilemma.
He doesn't need to say he was flying a drone. Just say that he is Part 107 certified and knows the FAA regulations and that helo was in clear violation. To them, he is just another person enjoying the beach.

Reactions: Jimari
So I’m shooting some video of the beach at 200’ and here comes this sight seeing helicopter straight at my drone! Full stick down and got out of his way but geez! He was breaking the 500’ rule for aircraft! He was no higher than 200’! I saw him coming and kept thinking no way, he can’t be that low! Got to stay on your toes at all times.

500' rule? Let's look at facts (don't take my word for it). I've added BOLD and COLOR to add emphasis:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...re/media/FAA_Guide_to_Low-Flying_Aircraft.pdf

or
14 CFR § 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a)Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d)Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

So in certain instances and airplane, helicopter, para-glider etc can be below 500' and still be legal. It is OUR responsibility to do exactly as you did and SEE & AVOID.

Glad everyone was okay. I have to be careful in Guatemala because this happens all the time with helicopters and I don't think anyone bothers to apply for permits. We also have airplanes that land on the lake.

Here’s how it reads in
91.119 Minimum Safe Altitudes: General

c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Regardless of weather they could be at that altitude or not, sUAS are required to give way to anything that flies, maybe even birds.
That’s why you need to have a 3 statute mile visibility before you fly for see and avoid.
And even though the FAA does not require it, at least not yet, don’t have any earphones or loud music playing so that you can here anything coming your way.
We have to be very alert when we fly.

500' rule? Let's look at facts (don't take my word for it). I've added BOLD and COLOR to add emphasis:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...re/media/FAA_Guide_to_Low-Flying_Aircraft.pdf

or
14 CFR § 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a)Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d)Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

So in certain instances and airplane, helicopter, para-glider etc can be below 500' and still be legal. It is OUR responsibility to do exactly as you did and SEE & AVOID.

You’re correct. Under VFR flight you have to maintain a 500’ away from basically anything aside from open water. I hold a fixed wing pilots license and have some time in rotorcraft too. When the SHTF in a rotorcraft, things go bad quickly. Basically you’ve got roughly a 45 degree decent angle with very minimal directional control. More or less a controlled crash so the way that pilot was flying could be considered reckless. Had he lost his engine or had a control failure it would have been bad.

You’re correct. Under VFR flight you have to maintain a 500’ away from basically anything aside from open water. I hold a fixed wing pilots license and have some time in rotorcraft too. When the SHTF in a rotorcraft, things go bad quickly. Basically you’ve got roughly a 45 degree decent angle with very minimal directional control. More or less a controlled crash so the way that pilot was flying could be considered reckless. Had he lost his engine or had a control failure it would have been bad.

You're preaching to the choir here brother... decades under my belt.

If he was operating in a reckless/unsafe manner video it, get his tail #'s and report it. Let the powers at hand do an official investigation and keep your head on a swivel.

Reactions: Polish Ninja
That one is actually flying higher than the one I encountered. I was filming Kite Surfers @ 100'. The kites reach somewhere between 80-90' and I had to pull down, because the Helicopter was actually in my flight path at 100'.

That one is actually flying higher than the one I encountered. I was filming Kite Surfers @ 100'. The kites reach somewhere between 80-90' and I had to pull down, because the Helicopter was actually in my flight path at 100'.

[emoji15]

It is very dangerous and reckless for any manned aircraft to fly under 900 feet. Flying below that, they never know what their going to run into, but some of them do it anyway, so we have to stay on our toes.

Whether flying a kite or a drone, we have to be careful.

Reactions: Polish Ninja
It is very dangerous and reckless for any manned aircraft to fly under 900 feet. Flying below that, they never know what their going to run into, but some of them do it anyway, so we have to stay on our toes.

Whether flying a kite or a drone, we have to be careful.

As an inactive PPL holder I find your opinion, while welcome, uninformed and inexperienced.

Why you chose 900 ft. as opposed to any other legal height to fly at?

As an inactive PPL holder I find your opinion, while welcome, uninformed and inexperienced.

Why you chose 900 ft. as opposed to any other legal height to fly at?

Because it's not about what's legal, but more or less about what's safe. Any experienced airplane pilot knows that flying below 900 feet is unsafe. When flying at low altitudes, not only do you not know what you might run into (like kite string or a drone), but also, if something goes wrong with the aircraft; you have less time to fix it. Most manned aircraft pilots that I have talk to: consider low altitude flying to be reckless and dangerous, unless the situation calls for it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj