Close call flyaway

looking through this log im not seeing the error i received about avoiding an obstacle. Maybe its there im just not seeing it. But i know that is when directly after that error is when i lost it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

also I would like to note that I have my max height set at 122 meters, not 400. I normally only do the compass calibration before a flight not the imu.. i only did that because I planned to take it farther than I have gone before from my house so i was just being cautious.
Not meant as a criticism, just informative: There's nothing you're doing that is reducing any risk at all by calibrating the IMU. If there is no indication there is any problem with sensing orientation -- such as a constant drift in S/P mode, or an indication by the aircraft itself that the IMU needs calibrating -- you gain nothing at all by calibrating, and probably will "lose" something -- short warmup time.

Calibrating the IMU when it is working fine can mess things up. Further, if you calibrate at room temp, it will take much longer for the IMU to "warm up" when you first turn the aircraft on.

Most people will NEVER need to ever calibrate the IMU on their P4 for the entire life of the bird, running with the factory calibration the entire time.

Just did page 51 (Phantom 4 pro manual). Since they are slow to update old phantom manuals, I went to the newest manual.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/en/Phantom_4_User_Manual_en_v1.2_20160805.pdf

Continuing on to the next page, page 52, the manual then says:

"Calibrate the compass before each flight...".

However, having read about this issue in several threads here, I subscribe to the practice of getting a good calibration and then not re-doing it unless told to do so by the app.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Thermographer
Continuing on to the next page, page 52, the manual then says:

"Calibrate the compass before each flight...".

However, having read about this issue in several threads here, I subscribe to the practice of getting a good calibration and then not re-doing it unless told to do so by the app.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Sounds like they need a proof reader and or decide what the heck they want you to do...;)

It's the all-too-common poor english translation.

What they mean to say is, "Before each flight, if you've moved more than 300 miles or ... calibrate the compass".

Sounds like they need a proof reader and or decide what the heck they want you to do...;)
Actually you need to look at newer manuals.
You are looking at a manual for the P4 (older machine and manual).
Look at the Mavic manual P50 or P4 pro manual p57
DJI have dropped anything that sounds like calibrating at each new location.

Reactions: Thermographer
So based only flight log, can anyone tell what caused my issues?
Unfortunately the flight record doesn't point out any specific cause so we have to make an educated guess.
The direction of travel is toward the southwest. If this was in the late afternoon, it would have been toward the sun.
The message about an obstacle would fit an issue where the Mavic is reluctant to fly toward a bright, low sun which it identifies as an obstacle and ties to climb to avoid it.
At any time you should have been able to cancel the RTH and resume control for yourself.
You can do some testing to see if flying towards a low sun in similar conditions, sets off the object avoidance.
And try RTH in a large open area to cnfirm that everything is working as it should.

Actually you need to look at newer manuals.
You are looking at a manual for the P4 (older machine and manual).
Look at the Mavic manual P50 or P4 pro manual p57
DJI have dropped anything that sounds like calibrating at each new location.
My error, for some reason I thought we were discussing the Phantom series of aircraft.

At any time you should have been able to cancel the RTH and resume control for yourself.

That is the one thing i tried that would not work. When i canceled the RTH i realized quickly that trying anything manual wasn't doing anything, so that's when i hit rth again. Do you feel that if i bought one of those sun shade lens hood cover that it may help? I never had these issues with my phantom 3..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well there's the first place you went wrong.

maybe explain to him why and what reason you say that!

he is new and may not have read forums to be aware of what you are saying.

if you did that your comment would help him and others!

BTW to the OP
almost all posts over time that mention flyaways seem to start out with the words---" I calibrated my compass..."

as mentioned above once it is set leave it!

good luck and have fun flying

I freaked & hit RTH but it did nothing. For the next several minutes all i could do is watch while it drifted to about 2300 feet away, then the next thing i know it started to drift higher and higher to around 900 feet! Then at around 2:50, it climbed to 1,000 feet. I have it capped at 400ft. so I'm not sure what happened here.
The data in your log doesn't mention the continued climbing was due to obstacle avoidance, but you can see that's what occurred by looking at the flight pattern. The step motion is what is commonly seen when the Mavic is attempting to avoid an obstacle on the way back home.

OA.jpg

If this ever happens again, you should cancel RTH and fly back manually.

Reactions: TimInCT
Another important skill is learning and getting comfortable flying with the map display, the FPV relegated to the small PIP window.

If you're lost -- i.e. trying to get back but don't which way to fly, it's trivial on the map display. Just point the AC back along the Home Point line.

If you're on Android, you can use the radar display for orientation, but I find it much easier to just switch to the map and fly like I'm watching a car nav display.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94