Cheap fix for preventing batteries falling out.

Reaction score
Reading all these reports of batteries not connecting on both snaps, or other reasons batteries falling out and phantoms crashing. Got me to thinking. So I came up with this 'fix'. It's lightweight. Rock solid. Battery will not budge even when I press release buttons. All I have to do is keep a pair of Clippers to snip off center zip tie between flights and replace the one center tie on my next flight. Only a few cents for another zip tie and peace of mind.
When center is tightened, you have to radically force it to make the tie slide up or down so it's not going to move during a flight. And as long as it's lying flat it does not interfere with the power button.
I'm sure this could be improved but this is simple, cheap and it works.

c3018617bf4c8cb9f587c27b0158f5ed.jpg

bff414d64fff91a99a0b9ea284ef25c6.jpg

If there is a real problem, why have Dgi not had a recall?
You didn't know? DJI never has an issue... According to DJI. Lol.
But yes, it's happening and like anything, things can fail. Just my 2 cents for a fix.

If there is a real problem, why have Dgi not had a recall?
The OP hit the nail on the head. Some pilots are not snapping the battery into place on both the top and bottom. A recall is not needed since it's a pilot error. The new battery sensor should help for those who have the V2.

Shouldn't it be impossible not to have the top and bottom latches secure when the battery is inserted? If the bottom latch isn't locking, then there's a distortion in the shape of the shell that is preventing it. I've observed our P4P and there's no way to have just one latch lock and the other out. The battery bottoms out against the shell and that's it. You can't push it in any farther.
Something must be wrong with the manufacture of a number of shells.

Reactions: alsobrook4336
If the bottom latch isn't locking, then there's a distortion in the shape of the shell that is preventing it.
Not necessarily. It's possible to insert the battery in a way that causes only the top latch to catch. @PhantomWetSuits shows that a few times in this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Ripper7620
I just make sure that i depress both latches when inserting, and use both hands to make sure it's in good. Also, I make sure to fully depress both latches completely when removing the batteries, so there is minimal wear and tear on the latches.

You didn't know? DJI never has an issue... According to DJI. Lol.
But yes, it's happening and like anything, things can fail. Just my 2 cents for a fix.
Despite this being discussed frequently, I still haven't seen any evidence of an actual problem.
It's common for a battery to be ejected in the event of a crash but if the battery is properly latched, it doesn't come out in flight.

Reactions: Deezbs
I just make sure that i depress both latches when inserting, and use both hands to make sure it's in good. Also, I make sure to fully depress both latches completely when removing the batteries, so there is minimal wear and tear on the latches.
Precisely what i do and hace never had one problem in the two to three years I've been flying the Phantom series I always depress both latches when inserting because in reality you cannot distinguish both audible clicks of tabs clicking in place.... it just sounds like one snap when inserting. So there is no real way to be sure because you cannot see if the other latch is in or not... this is why from day one I have always just held both tabs in and insert.... same way going out

I think there's a lot of paranoid people that read a lot of stories and think that they're drone is going to do the same thing. it's kind of like a hypochondriac only with drones. I've never had a problem with my batteries, snap them into place and go.

[QUOTE=" I always depress both latches when inserting because in reality you cannot distinguish both audible clicks of tabs clicking in place.... it just sounds like one snap when inserting. So there is no real way to be sure because you cannot see if the other latch is in or not... this is why from day one I have always just held both tabs in and insert.... same way going out[/QUOTE]

Yes agree, I suspect this forceful two finger snapping/clicking on with the battery, as seen in the wetsuit video, could well in time weaken things and cause the battery not to grip as firmly, surely ? Convenient finger pads/buttons have presumably been designed on the battery for us to use rather than to force click/snap. The bottom serrated catch lip on the drone side of the battery housing seems a much stronger base compared to the flimsy thin top side with lots of play, so no wonder the battery can so easily be snapped off as shown in the wetsuit video.

I suspect another issue caused by the forced clicking on with the battery, are the cracked battery casings which many folk have experienced, this includes myself until I stopped forceable clicking on the battery :)

Yeah I have seen the cracking along the lights of the battery. that is definitely from the spring inside. And that would be from when people pushing the battery hard enough to do that, over time it just happens( probably from both latches snapping back against them plastic... well the spring) ... so I guess I have avoided the cracks on the batteries... and making sure my battery was in tight by simply depressing both tabs and inserting battery. I don't know it has always worked out for me so I'm just going to stick to my method

Paranoia, I've been slapping my batteries into place ever since I got it last November, haven't had a problem.
I got to ask , what's the thing with the wetsuit why do you find it need fold to fly in the rain?

Paranoia, I've been slapping my batteries into place ever since I got it last November, haven't had a problem.
I got to ask , what's the thing with the wetsuit why do you find it need fold to fly in the rain?
Good for u..paranoia or not there is more than 50 cases and more than likely most of them are pilot error I still do it my way ...y'all can do it your way. And remember you have only been flying your Phantom since November don't go preaching to nobody just yet...and maybe thats his thing. He like flying in the rain!

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
Good for u..paranoia or not there is more than 50 cases and more than likely most of them are pilot error I still do it my way ...y'all can do it your way. And remember you have only been flying your Phantom since November don't go preaching to nobody just yet...and maybe thats his thing. He like flying in the rain!
I'm not preaching.
I just wondered why you would take the chance of flying in the rain and ruining your drone wetsuit or not.. just trying to understand what they're thinking

I'm not preaching.
I just wondered why you would take the chance of flying in the rain and ruining your drone wetsuit or not.. just trying to understand what they're thinking
Some people are into that o_Ojust like some people are into doing missions or distance runs he's just showcasing his product

Ok I'm done.

Not necessarily. It's possible to insert the battery in a way that causes only the top latch to catch. @PhantomWetSuits shows that a few times in this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love this video as it is a little more than a slight of hand. While it does demonstrate the difference between insterting the battery properly vs improperly the owner likes to claim the wetsuit makes the real difference when he uses two very different methods of insertion.

The key is to physically and visually ensure the battery is installed correctly. The wetsuit may seal a bit, which will degrade quickly over time as any gasket does, it is the proper insertion that really makes the difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.