Cheap fix for preventing batteries falling out.

Reading all these reports of batteries not connecting on both snaps, or other reasons batteries falling out and phantoms crashing. Got me to thinking. So I came up with this 'fix'. It's lightweight. Rock solid. Battery will not budge even when I press release buttons. All I have to do is keep a pair of Clippers to snip off center zip tie between flights and replace the one center tie on my next flight. Only a few cents for another zip tie and peace of mind.
When center is tightened, you have to radically force it to make the tie slide up or down so it's not going to move during a flight. And as long as it's lying flat it does not interfere with the power button.
I'm sure this could be improved but this is simple, cheap and it works.

Not bad ..... not bad at all !

c3018617bf4c8cb9f587c27b0158f5ed.jpg

bff414d64fff91a99a0b9ea284ef25c6.jpg

If there is a real problem, why have Dgi not had a recall?

I just put 2 strips of duck tape and it holds it in place. I bought 2 third party vendor batteries for 50.00 each. I get the same amount of flight time. And i don't need to worry about them falling off.

I can't remember the error I receive for the lose battery. I'll post it tomorrow. I'll put the battery that came with it, the phantom intelligent flight battery. And post the error tomorrow.

I did loose a P4P this way, was only 25 feet up, battery vibrated loose and it came down hard. I have noticed on several occasions that I can put the battery in, sometimes the top latch is latched and the bottom one is not. There does seem to be some difference in the tolerances on my batteries. Talking with Engineers about this to see how to categorize this, since others have obviously experienced the same issue. The ones I spoke with thought this would be categorized as a "design weakness" and not a "design flaw" in that people who repair these drones have seen this issue a lot.

I did speak with a Yuneec dealer as well, and they have seen the same thing on the yuneec H520, battery in the compartment, but not fully engaged with the locking mechanism. They know that is the issue by the flight data. There will be data, and then....nothing total loss due to lack of power

After having to pay for the repair, NOW - I insert the battery, turn the copter over and try to pull it out every time. Part of my pre-flight check. Good luck and be safe.

If I may be of assistance.

I agree in much of what you say.

Not all batteries are created the equal or the same. Mass manufacture can create mis-fits, even given the best of quality control. As an engineer, I have found that the best way to install the batteries in a Phantom is to turn the bird with the battery compartment facing up towards you. Next, visually inspect the battery compartment for any obstruction and to ensure the latching system on the bird is read to receive the battery. Then insert the battery in to the compartment and with your thumbs on either side of the battery, push on the battery firmly until you hear and feel two "snaps". Next, for added insurance, turn your bird upside down and ensure the bottom of the battery is fully flush and seeded to the bird's frame(note: there will be less than 1/16th inch clearance between the battery and the bird.

Next stand the bird on its landing gear and with either hand (depending on if your left or right handed) grasp the battery and attempt to remove it from the bird, using caution not to engage the battery release buttons.

Next, please perform a complete pre-flight check of your bird using the check lists provided by this site and DJI. Hope this helps. Again, there are no guarantees but the whole process will only take three minutes. Safe flying.

Reactions: fasterpastor
I've never had an issue with the battery falling out or even not locking in properly, so I wouldn't need such a "fix". What I do like is the fact that if this has been a problem on your quad, then you've come up with a "fix" for it that works and that's terrific. It shows that you're a thinker and that's always a good thing.

Nice, easy, low cost idea, and good for you for thinking that one up.

Bud

Reading all these reports of batteries not connecting on both snaps, or other reasons batteries falling out and phantoms crashing. Got me to thinking. So I came up with this 'fix'. It's lightweight. Rock solid. Battery will not budge even when I press release buttons. All I have to do is keep a pair of Clippers to snip off center zip tie between flights and replace the one center tie on my next flight. Only a few cents for another zip tie and peace of mind.
When center is tightened, you have to radically force it to make the tie slide up or down so it's not going to move during a flight. And as long as it's lying flat it does not interfere with the power button.

Great job

Crap, and to think I wanted to shave down my clips a bit. I am fairly strong and struggle pulling some of my batteries out.

Now as for the controversy about the videos:
- like all advertising, you may slightly exaggerate the problem to help motivate sales.
- Flying with lightning basically will make you a modern day Benjamin Franklin with his kite and key. My community fires off a siren whenever there is a lightning strike within 5 miles to protect golfers who are holding metal shafts at ground level. And you want to fly your metal drone 200 feet in the air...

God Bless America where it is legal for you to be as stupid as you want.

Reactions: Speedlite

I have 3 phantom 4 batteries labelled 1-2-3 number 1 battery is easily waggled out without pressing the release buttons, the other 2 are fine, I believe it’s the battery’s securing spring clips that is at fault, I use 2 strips of white electrical insulation tape to seal each side, I fold an inch of tape over at the end to make a tag to easily remove it.
I was disappointed with the battery security from day one. My p3 batteries are superior.
I’ve long noticed that all crashed p4’s batteries are separated from the aircraft! Strange that eh!

If I may be of assistance.

I agree in much of what you say.

Not all batteries are created the equal or the same. Mass manufacture can create mis-fits, even given the best of quality control. As an engineer, I have found that the best way to install the batteries in a Phantom is to turn the bird with the battery compartment facing up towards you. Next, visually inspect the battery compartment for any obstruction and to ensure the latching system on the bird is read to receive the battery. Then insert the battery in to the compartment and with your thumbs on either side of the battery, push on the battery firmly until you hear and feel two "snaps". Next, for added insurance, turn your bird upside down and ensure the bottom of the battery is fully flush and seeded to the bird's frame(note: there will be less than 1/16th inch clearance between the battery and the bird.

Next stand the bird on its landing gear and with either hand (depending on if your left or right handed) grasp the battery and attempt to remove it from the bird, using caution not to engage the battery release buttons.

Next, please perform a complete pre-flight check of your bird using the check lists provided by this site and DJI. Hope this helps. Again, there are no guarantees but the whole process will only take three minutes. Safe flying.

I own eight batteries for my p4p (do a lot of mapping) and it does seem the OLDER standard P4 batteries seem to be easier to have a bigger gap or not engage (but that may be just my batteries). Thanks for the tip, this really is a critical part of pre-flight, I had to learn the hard way hopefully others can benefit from our experience. But I agree they do not all fit up to the frame in the same way.

Reactions: shegeek72

As an alternative, I modified my drone and batteries: Put 2 small strips of velco tape (female) on each my batteries, and placed 2 small pieces of Velcro tape (female) on the top of the drone (in-line with the battery Velcro when battery is installed). Then, when the battery is in place and locked in, I place a 2 small strips of Velcro (male) connecting the Velcro on the battery and drone together. This allows me to easily pull and replace the batteries as needed between flights.

For those asking how many battery covers do you get ? The seal is not on the battery itself. it is built into the Wet Suit itself. The battery covers are for Cosmetic appeal.

Here is a close up of the seal that is used on the Phantom Rain Wet Suit, this allows for all the batteries to really lock into place and become water proof. This same seal also hold the battery in very securely as the Neoprene has a little give it to allowing it to create the pressure it needs to create the seal. That seal is very secure.

Here is a close up> You can see the Indent around the Permiter of the battery
Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 11.22.14 AM.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31