Problem with bundled Zenmuse mount on Phantom 2 2.0

Reaction score
Today we assembled and flew our new DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter V2.0 Bundle with 3-Axis Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal for GoPro. During the assembly I noticed what looked to me like some design problems with the new Zenmuse mount. The lower mount bracket slips over the lower lip on the white shock absorber, and the clear plastic retainer washer is supposed to keep the lower bracket in place in case it slips off the lower lip of the absorber. The retainer clips can be mounted in two ways. The one on the right appears to be mounted as shown in the instructions. The problem is that the clip seems virtually impossible to remove; that is a problem, because the alignment of the screws that hold the assembly to the body of the drone is such that it is very difficult to remove all the four screws without first removing the lower plate and camera. The clip on the left is easy to remove, but does not seem to me to hold the lower plate securely onto the absorber.

I understand that the retainer clips supposedly are just a failsafe attachment in case the lower plate slips over the lower lip. But on our first flight that did happen on one of the pins, and the camera was noticed vibrating severely.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and may have come up with a way to mount the lower arm securely and removably, but not interfere with the damping.

I thought of possibly cutting or filing off the four small clips on the clear plastic washer, so it would slide freely over the end of the pin, and then using a Zip tie in the notch around the bottom of the pin to keep the retainer from falling off. I know that some have run a Zip tie all the way through both the upper and lower brackets and the shock absorber, but I wonder if that might interfere with the damping action.

Here is my first attempt shown on the pin on the left:

This was the smallest Zip tie I have; it's a little large for the groove, and I expect it might slip off. But a smaller one just might do the trick. To remove the bottom plate and remove the mount you could just cut the ties, and then use new ones the next time.

Comments or other ideas?

Charlie

The clips are one-time only use. If you need to remove, you have to break and replace with a new one. They come with a spare and more are available readily online. Also, you do NOT need and shouldn't install 4 of them! Only one on the front-left and one on the back right. There are lots of people that don't use them at all or use a loose zip-tie instead, again, in only one or two place. This is because 1) The retainer pins get in the way of camera movement sometimes and 2) they believe that the insertion of the plastic balls is firm enough to hold. I prefer to have extra safety for my paranoid personality so I always use the pins. Also, they must be pushed down like the one you show on the right. Remember, they are designed to be disposable if you ever (not real likely) need to remove and re-install the gimbal. I guess now that you used all four, you need to buy some more or go with just zipties instead. The one you picture on the left probably works just fine but it adds a tiny amount of extra weight due to the ziptie. Probably negligible but you always want the least weight possible plus it might be in the way of the camera. Hope that helps. David

spudraleigh said:
[...] I guess now that you used all four, you need to buy some more or go with just zipties instead. The one you picture on the left probably works just fine but it adds a tiny amount of extra weight due to the ziptie. Probably negligible but you always want the least weight possible plus it might be in the way of the camera. Hope that helps. David
I finally found some smaller zip ties at Newark for the unbelievable price of $ 0.68 per hundred. I ordered 100 black (PRO POWER CVT-070B) and 100 clear (PRO POWER CVT-070) ties (Newark parts 51R6451 and 51R6450). They are 1.6 mm wide and 71 mm long. They fit fine into the groove of the securing pin of the Zenmuse gimbal. The too-large tie on the left does not quite fit into the groove of the securing pin, but the 1.6 mm Newark tie on the right fits nicely. This should let me re-use the washers or similar plain washers. Or maybe even just using the zip ties by themselves would be enough.

I do think that securing at least some of the pins is a good idea: During one of my first flights I noticed that the GoPro was moving about wildly. When I landed, I saw that one of my incorrectly mounted washers had come off, and the lower plate on that pin had fallen loose. Maybe I had just not snapped it on securely, but that made me also a little paranoid.

FarmerCharlie said:
spudraleigh said:
[...] I guess now that you used all four, you need to buy some more or go with just zipties instead. The one you picture on the left probably works just fine but it adds a tiny amount of extra weight due to the ziptie. Probably negligible but you always want the least weight possible plus it might be in the way of the camera. Hope that helps. David
I finally found some smaller zip ties at Newark for the unbelievable price of $ 0.68 per hundred. I ordered 100 black (PRO POWER CVT-070B) and 100 clear (PRO POWER CVT-070) ties (Newark parts 51R6451 and 51R6450). They are 1.6 mm wide and 71 mm long. They fit fine into the groove of the securing pin of the Zenmuse gimbal. The too-large tie on the left does not quite fit into the groove of the securing pin, but the 1.6 mm Newark tie on the right fits nicely. This should let me re-use the washers or similar plain washers. Or maybe even just using the zip ties by themselves would be enough.

I do think that securing at least some of the pins is a good idea: During one of my first flights I noticed that the GoPro was moving about wildly. When I landed, I saw that one of my incorrectly mounted washers had come off, and the lower plate on that pin had fallen loose. Maybe I had just not snapped it on securely, but that made me also a little paranoid.

weird... I have had absolutely zero slippage of those pins and washers (in fact - the first time I had to remove them I had to cut them off)... maybe you just got a bad batch?

spudraleigh said:
The clips are one-time only use. If you need to remove, you have to break and replace with a new one. They come with a spare and more are available readily online. Also, you do NOT need and shouldn't install 4 of them! Only one on the front-left and one on the back right. There are lots of people that don't use them at all or use a loose zip-tie instead, again, in only one or two place. This is because 1) The retainer pins get in the way of camera movement sometimes and 2) they believe that the insertion of the plastic balls is firm enough to hold. I prefer to have extra safety for my paranoid personality so I always use the pins. Also, they must be pushed down like the one you show on the right. Remember, they are designed to be disposable if you ever (not real likely) need to remove and re-install the gimbal. I guess now that you used all four, you need to buy some more or go with just zipties instead. The one you picture on the left probably works just fine but it adds a tiny amount of extra weight due to the ziptie. Probably negligible but you always want the least weight possible plus it might be in the way of the camera. Hope that helps. David

To this posters point, the zenmuse I noticed hits the clips when turning left or right, im assuming this is normal and not a desing flaw and the gimball should not move beyond the clips.

Can anyone explain if this should be fixed or left alone

Here's how I replace the one-time use pins. keep them loose.
[vimeo]116224716[/vimeo]

SteveMann said:
Here's how I replace the one-time use pins. keep them loose.
[vimeo]116224716[/vimeo]
2 zipties opposite each other ? Compltely loose only as an emergency catch in event rubber dampner pops off during flight?

Hows that working for you?

capodrone81 said:
2 zipties opposite each other ? Compltely loose only as an emergency catch in event rubber dampner pops off during flight?
The safety's are just there to keep the gimbal attached in case of a crash or hard landing (does that make a normal landing a controlled crash?) You want them loose so that the rubber mounts are absorbing the motor vibration.

I got rid of them, I have run zip ties on all 4 rubbers. Leave them loose as stated by SteveMann above. The zip ties are much better in a crash, less chance of loosing one or more of the dampeners which will ruin your day if you still want to fly. I carry spare zip ties in my kit . Much better way to help save the expensive gimbal from breaking away and causing more damage.

spudraleigh said:

Are you saying that people think the flexible lip of the vibration absorber, is enough to hold things together? If so, they must have different ones than mine!

Also, if one looks at diagram 2 and doesn't read the text, that diagram makes it look as the retainer washer has been installed on the front two and one could assume the back two must use the retainer devices too. Then, you will discover that there is no way to mount the lower plate! I'm not saying I did it, I'm saying read all of the instructions rather than looking at the assembly diagrams.

However, I see no diagram that indicates the retainer washer should be installed as it is in the left, front. One the retainer washer/clip is installed, the only way to remove it is too snip it off and I can't be used again, so save the other two. As was said.

PhantomFanatic said:
spudraleigh said:

Are you saying that people think the flexible lip of the vibration absorber, is enough to hold things together? If so, they must have different ones than mine!

Also, if one looks at diagram 2 and doesn't read the text, that diagram makes it look as the retainer washer has been installed on the front two and one could assume the back two must use the retainer devices too. Then, you will discover that there is no way to mount the lower plate! I'm not saying I did it, I'm saying read all of the instructions rather than looking at the assembly diagrams.

However, I see no diagram that indicates the retainer washer should be installed as it is in the left, front. One the retainer washer/clip is installed, the only way to remove it is too snip it off and I can't be used again, so save the other two. As was said.

so where do you recommend retainer should be installed in what orientation front 2 , rear 2 , diagonally left front right rear ,or right front left rear, or all 4 installed?

seems everyone has an opinion and the gimbal paperwork makes it look like all 4 installed. :?:

some people are using zip ties loosely fit through vibration mount and installed diagonally left front and right rear.

SteveMann said:
capodrone81 said:
The safety's are just there to keep the gimbal attached in case of a crash or hard landing (does that make a normal landing a controlled crash?) You want them loose so that the rubber mounts are absorbing the motor vibration.

+1 - I know it seems counter-intuitive - but in this situation you want to have a failsafe if the zenmuse becomes dislodged from your Phantom - but you want to restrict the shock absorbers as little as possible - just like in your car... the tighter the shock absorber - the more you feel it.

capodrone81 said:
PhantomFanatic said:
spudraleigh said:

so where do you recommend retainer should be installed in what orientation front 2 , rear 2 , diagonally left front right rear ,or right front left rear, or all 4 installed?

seems everyone has an opinion and the gimbal paperwork makes it look like all 4 installed. :?:

some people are using zip ties loosely fit through vibration mount and installed diagonally left front and right rear.

DJI instructs diagonally - I'd agree.... a full collision from the front could pop both the zipties in they are both on the front- whereas a collision where the zipties are diagonal - that is less likely.

The more you secure the absorbers - the more you might experience vibration. However - if you want to do all four... and that lets you sleep better at night... i'd say it's up to you. You're just adding redundancy to your failsafe system.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj