Charging P4 batteries - from boat?

Reaction score
I have this charger : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6WLR20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would it be ok to charge a battery with it if plugged into a running boat through a converter that takes the "cigarette" lighter to a standard plug?

My first concern would be around whether it gets enough juice to charge the battery, maybe the charger controls the flow well enough that there is no concern.
I have 4 good batteries, would like to charge one or two while out on the boat after first use of them.

Anybody have an opinion?

good question, not sure

from other threads here, I've seen concerns about the type of flow going into the battery from alternative sources like this. Was a pipe dream to charge them on the go without investing is a heavy duty charger to lug along. I'll likely go with the 4 batteries/4 flights and call it a day.

What you linked is just the charging hub, as I understood you want to use it with an inverter and the 110/240V wall charger. This would work HOWEVER, you will need a pure sine wave inverter, not a cheap square wave one! I have one of the latter and the charger gave a horrible coil whine and warmed up quite a bit, that I rather stopped charging after 30 minutes. sine wave inverter gives you the same quality AC what you have at home.

Alternative and better solution would be to get a car charger and plug that in directly on a cigarette plug near the batteries. This way you save ~20% of the electricity, what you'd loose on the inverter and the less efficient ac/dc charger. None-issue if you have a big battery bank/running the engine a lot though...

The hub you linked is of course compatible with the car charger too and just as with the wall charger, it charges the batteries one after the other.

I have this charger : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6WLR20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would it be ok to charge a battery with it if plugged into a running boat through a converter that takes the "cigarette" lighter to a standard plug?

My first concern would be around whether it gets enough juice to charge the battery, maybe the charger controls the flow well enough that there is no concern.
I have 4 good batteries, would like to charge one or two while out on the boat after first use of them.

Anybody have an opinion?

What kind of boat do you have? On my boat under the console is a power bar for adding electronics later on. You may be able to hardwire a 12 volt charger directly to that giving a much more stable power source.

Reactions: FlyingUser
Hard wiring a 12V charger close to the battery is a good idea anyway, to decrease losses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1