central florida

Has anybody organized a meet yet? I just got my S1000 - hoping to go out and fly it for a few customers tomorrow with my fiancee on the sensor controls. I'm hoping she ends up liking it enough to be my full-time sensor operator. :ugeek:

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

I live in Altamonte Springs/Apopka. I have about 8 flights into a Phantom 2 with Hero4. Would enjoy meeting up with some others that live close. Getting my FPV components in tomorrow. STOKED!

Whoa!
Sounds like central Florida is Phantom central heaven.
I'm in Kissimmee too.
With so many in the area, maybe we could manage to make a monthly meet at a local field somewhere.
Or maybe a beach party?
I'd be willing to coordinate the event.
Not too cool with the beach idea, way too many RF interference probs at the beach, especially with the beach patrol RF, RF emanating from condos/hotels, WiFi, etc. I flew at Daytona and had a fly away because the quad locked-on to a steady signal emanating from somewhere (Patrick AFB to the north perhaps?) but RTH kicked in automatically and saved the day. The beach is very bright, sky is very bright, hard to follow whereabouts of any white colored quads, and of course there is always that darned ocean and no insurance on our quads if they were to do an Icarus and fall into the ocean.
I'd suggest a remote field on terra firma somewhere with few RF interferences and few inquiries from the curious like groundskeepers.

I am in Clermont have a Phantom 1 and a TBS Discovery Pro and my Phantom 3 Pro that will be here by end of the week.

I think we all should have a meet-n-greet somewhere and get the ball rolling on forming a group or association. The FAA smiles kindly on professional/amateur associations/groups rather than individuals. The FAA's NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) regarding the commercial use of "drones" ended April 24th, I hope all of you contributed your thoughts to the FAA regarding this. I'm a member of the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) a non-profit organization that worked with the FAA to come up with some of their proposed rules regarding model quads for amateur use and commercial use. I highly suggest you join the AMA. With that small pitch out of the way, forming a Central Florida UAS (Unmanned Aircraft System) Association or Group would put us on the map with the FAA, legitimizing our existence, and putting a good "face" on the sport and commercial use of quadcopters. Unless you don't know, the FAA calls our "drones" UAS's, not UAV's or Quads. The only way this would work is if we formed a group. One person can't do it all and using "UAS" in our group/association name will give us legitimacy. I'm sure there may be other quad-groups in Central Florida but most of them evolved from fixed-wing R/C aircraft groups/associations and they have a bit of an elitist attitude regarding fixed-wing vs Quads, and they usually do not look kindly upon quadcopter users/operators like us, they consider themselves real pilots whereas they see quadcopters as something that takes no skill to fly. I don't want to get into a discussion/argument about fixed-wing vs Quadcopter, but I think us forming a quadcopter (and include multi-rotor too) only group/association would benefit us all. I also think once this happens, we can start with doing what they used to do in the early days of biplane flight: have "barnstorming" events where the public can come and see quads fly and to see that they aren't so "evil" after all. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.

Reactions: MedicFL1
Champion's gate here (just south of Disney) I'd be willing to get together with a group (even though I am kind of an introvert at heart)

I was seriously thinking about buying a new P3P, but now with the new FL legislation, I am having second thoughts. I am really bummed about all these new rules that are coming out. I think a lot of irresponsible people have ruined it for this hobby. Are any of you guys concerned about the latest law that was passed July 1, 2015?

I'm in Oviedo as well. Echopiece, if you're talking about the law that lets home owners sue drone (sic) pilots, that's only for money they can prove you made off your footage. So if you don't plan on selling footage then there is nothing they can sue you for.

I'm in Oviedo as well. Echopiece, if you're talking about the law that lets home owners sue drone (sic) pilots, that's only for money they can prove you made off your footage. So if you don't plan on selling footage then there is nothing they can sue you for.
That's what I was thinking. Now what if you have it on yt with paid ads?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj