cause of compass error

Given it shows for a specific location only ... I would assume that there is something there that the Compass doesn't like.

If it was me ... I would take a pocket compass on a stick and walk across that spot - see if the pocket compass reacts ... why on a stick ? To reduce any effects you may have by gear in pockets etc and to also get it close to ground / whatever is there.

Nigel

Reactions: Nightwolf
This error was only around 20sec in duration. I didn't see anything in the general vicinity of where the error occurred as to a specific cause.
Being the fact that the AC did not switch to ATTI, which usually occurs with a compass error, you could write this one off as an anomaly of some sort. It also could be that the error did not last long enough for the switch over, or the error was of significant value to issue the warning, but less than required for the ATTI switch over. In the latter instance, I would write that one off, but be cautious on your next few flights.

Reactions: Nightwolf and Oso
While I generally agree ... I would suggest ...

"I didn't see anything in the general vicinity of where the error occurred as to a specific cause."

That being in a residential area such as that - we have no idea whats under the topsoil / ground. For example - If you have the main electrical supply running coming up there to a service point 'below ground' or similar - who knows what you'd get.

Nigel

Another way to test if its just that spot and nothing else ... stand the AC on it and power up .. see what happens .. No harm done if you don't fly.

It may be just a one off aberation ... or it could be a genuine 'hot spot' to avoid.

To be honest residential areas are rife with items that can affect our 'toys' ..... and that includes "living matter" !!

Nigel

Great, Thanks guys. I'll write it off as an anomaly. Not my drone just helping get it flying again after a crash. I fly my P3A in the same park a lot so i don't think it's the area

That being in a residential area such as that - we have no idea whats under the topsoil / ground.
I was going to mention that as well, however when I noticed that the error only occurred between ~17 to 20 feet in altitude as the OP was landing, then went away at 17 feet. I threw that scenario out. If it were underground utilities of some sort the issue would have gotten worse instead of going away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga