Cannot get GPS - Compass Error Magnetic Interference

Reaction score
I've read the threads and I've gone out in the middle of an open field 500 meters in all directions, did a IMU calibration, Gimbal Calib and Compass Calib and I briefly get GPS lock take off and get Compass Error, the it drifted off and I was able to get it close enough to the ground and slow enough to do an emergency landing but it flipped on it's props.

What is the fix for this issue? I never had this issue before, never crashed the bird before and never had any other problems until now.

Odd. Most likely something is still interesting with the compass or the compass is defective. Maybe something under the ground... Sprinkler pipes?

I'm seeing a lot of these threads. Wondering if it's a FW or GO issue.

Everything has been good until Saturday. I fly 3 times a week and GPS has been stable and reliable. Saturday I could not get GPS at all, went out Sunday to test again and she drifted off.

The copter is 6 weeks old, would I be able to get warranty repair or exchange?

Everything has been good until Saturday. I fly 3 times a week and GPS has been stable and reliable. Saturday I could not get GPS at all, went out Sunday to test again and she drifted off.

How many satellites? Below 10 and I get some drifting

Reactions: Rrotz
Learn to fly in ATTI mode to offset any future compass errors. Set it up so you can toggle between the two. Compass errors generally happen when you have magnetic interference, you are in a polar region or there is mechinacal fault with your craft. Anything different with your setup?

Reactions: Rrotz
Learn to fly in ATTI mode to offset any future compass errors. Set it up so you can toggle between the two. Compass errors generally happen when you have magnetic interference, you are in a polar region or there is mechinacal fault with your craft. Anything different with your setup?

I'm in Australia, no mechanical fault that I know of, it's all internal. What support will DJI provide? Is there a trend occurring? How do I get GPS back? That's the question, do I return it now for an exchange or send logs to DJI? This is my livelihood, not a personal toy.

Except the compass is still needed for atti mode.

GPS holds position (stops it drifting)

Compass holds orientation (stops it spinning)

If it's not getting enough sats in an area you previously did you may have cracked the GPS antenna as its ceramic.
If it's having problems with the compass you can only move somewhere new and recalibrate to get rid of any "bad" previous calibrations.

If it's having problems with both I wouldn't try flying it, get it sent in for repairs.

I need to contact support first and have them review logs. Where can I pull logs to facilitate "faster" service?

I can't have broken anything, I've never crashed other than it gently tipping over upside down from the last time I lost GPS signal and I flew the aircraft in for a landing. It was already experiencing GPS/compass issues.

Reactions: robert eckert
Post up a screen shot of your Compass mod values > Settings > Sensors. It should sit around 1500..

Are you dancing correctly??
Is the phantom >1.5m off the ground when doing the dance??

It's working correctly now. I didn't do anything to fix it other than IMU calibration and gimbal calibration then compass calibration 3 days ago. It get's a fix in our apartment complex with 2 story buildings on both sides.

Wierdness!

Last edited:
I've read the threads and I've gone out in the middle of an open field 500 meters in all directions, did a IMU calibration, Gimbal Calib and Compass Calib and I briefly get GPS lock take off and get Compass Error, the it drifted off and I was able to get it close enough to the ground and slow enough to do an emergency landing but it flipped on it's props.

What is the fix for this issue? I never had this issue before, never crashed the bird before and never had any other problems until now.
I think you took off to quickly, before all the telemetry had properly established itself.
Give it a few more (10 to 20) seconds on the ground till you get the slow flash of the rear green lights.

I didn't even get a GPS signal before take off, it would give compass error. I never take off until I get the GPS-Safe to fly message.

thinking the same here cant use it for more then a month now ...just cant get gps signal at all even when i get 7 satelites...so strange
did u fix it now? p.s with me the same thing it worked always fine and then after a few weeks this happend and never got better

i really need help on this.... no gps for weeks now
i guess i need to make a video to show what the prob is.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl